looking for "what tools you carry thread" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I admit my search skills suck. A few years ago i saw a good thread showing what specific tools you needed to work on a 80. The idea was minimizing a comprehensive trail or daily tool kit. "what do you carry in you tool role" type of post. People posted up what specificsie tools cover 80% of the truck then a few odd size tools that are needed. Does anyone remember this thread?

The biggest and most obvious is wrenches and sockets, 8mm-19mm and then maybe some larger ones if you have room. Duplicate wrenches in 10,12,14,17 and 19, plus stubby's in those sizes. Sockets the same with duplicates in longer bodies in the above sizes, plus sizing up to 24, then a 32 and 54 hub socket if you have room.

Lets start the thread here...

Just at 100lbs covers all my tools, repair parts, and air tools needed.
That's impressive to me for as much traveling as you do in yours.

I do a lot of highway miles and am home at night, so I only carry a few small tools for my day trips. But if I was going on a tour like what you've done, I'm concerned I'd end up dragging along half a Cruiser for the "what if's" even though I do very regular maintenance and stay on top of every issue. I'm a notorious hoarder and like to prepare for EVERY contingency, to the point it make some things no fun.

That's impressive to me for as much traveling as you do in yours.

I do a lot of highway miles and am home at night, so I only carry a few small tools for my day trips. But if I was going on a tour like what you've done, I'm concerned I'd end up dragging along half a Cruiser for the "what if's" even though I do very regular maintenance and stay on top of every issue. I'm a notorious hoarder and like to prepare for EVERY contingency, to the point it make some things no fun.

Over the years I would look at problem that people experience and say to myself if it was me would I be covered. In the end my tools are deep in my cruiser and rarely see light as I prefer to do my wrenching at home. The only time you will see my hood open on the trail is to grab a burrito.

I'm trying to figure out how to carry some of the loose stuff in a noise proof-ish bags so that they're less noisy as a whole while going over speed bumps or while wheeling. Trouble is, I HATE digging for s*** inside of bags, so that's why I have a nice tool box with a tray. Even though I've lined the tool box with dynomat, they're still noisy at times. I've even lined the cargo drawers with dynomat but when you have both DS, both rear axles, one Longfield birf in one space, that crap makes a lot of noise at times :meh:

I'm trying to figure out how to carry some of the loose stuff in a noise proof-ish bags so that they're less noisy as a whole while going over speed bumps or while wheeling. Trouble is, I HATE digging for s*** inside of bags, so that's why I have a nice tool box with a tray. Even though I've lined the tool box with dynomat, they're still noisy at times. I've even lined the cargo drawers with dynomat but when you have both DS, both rear axles, one Longfield birf in one space, that crap makes a lot of noise at times :meh:

I dont carry axles but I have set guys up with uni-strut mounted on the side of the frame rails for a solid noise free set up without given up valuable interior space.

I have done that in the past and may return to that config. Or, I can just get over it and not carry so much heavy crap!

Almost all of the tools I use on the cruiser live in the cruiser. 3 sets of sockets/wrenches, a whole mess of various hand tools, tape zip ties freeall, jb, a breaker bar tourqe wrench and battery powered impact. Plus oil, atf and water. :D

Almost all of the tools I use on the cruiser live in the cruiser. 3 sets of sockets/wrenches, a whole mess of various hand tools, tape zip ties freeall, jb, a breaker bar tourqe wrench and battery powered impact. Plus oil, atf and water. :D

One can get by with just ATF as it can be used it place of oil if needed.

All depends on how hard you use and abuse the cruiser. I recall seeing a spare driveshaft mounted under @baldilocks cruiser...

This thread is a good reminder that I need to actually make a real toolkit vs the box of random tools I have in there now.

PS: Always have a way to disconnect the battery. Either a switch or the correct wrench to remove battery terminals. A long time ago I had an engine fire due to electrical short (different vehicle - the main cable from the battery to the starter) and recall feverishly wrenching the battery cable loose with a 10mm wrench. Glad it was available or that car would have burnt to the ground.

All depends on how hard you use and abuse the cruiser. I recall seeing a spare driveshaft mounted under @baldilocks cruiser...

This thread is a good reminder that I need to actually make a real toolkit vs the box of random tools I have in there now.

PS: Always have a way to disconnect the battery. Either a switch or the correct wrench to remove battery terminals. A long time ago I had an engine fire due to electrical short (different vehicle - the main cable from the battery to the starter) and recall feverishly wrenching the battery cable loose with a 10mm wrench. Glad it was available or that car would have burnt to the ground.
[/QQUOTEl

▲This▲ is most overlooked and misunderstood safety item on a vehicle. I carry cable cutters on a lanyard for quick access in the drivers side pouch. Any professional firefighter will tell you an extinguisher will only suppresses an electrical fire until the extinguisher is empty. You must eliminate the source for an extinguisher will do anything.

I want one of those.
This tool was first presented to me by @GW Nugget when I broke a birf at Hollister Hills ohv area a couple years ago. After seeing how I struggled to remove the C ring with two screw drivers, he presented me with his set of these pliers. I ordered a used pair on eBay later that day.

Just at 100lbs covers all my tools, repair parts, and air tools needed.
Do you keep a list of what you carry? I'd be interested to see it. I know I carry more than 100 lbs but I also carry a bunch of recovery tools that I include in the list.

In addition to some of the items already mentioned, I'll add that I like to carry:

Hose clamps of various sizes
Vice grips (needle nose and a beefier pair)
Channel locks (larger size)
10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm wrenches
Adjustable wrenches (2 sizes)
4 way tire iron ~19-22mm
Flashlight/headlamp
Tape measure
Small amount of electrical wire
Leatherman multitool
Screw driver bit set

Bailing wire
Duct tape
Bubble gum