Looking for Truck, Is this worth it? (1 Viewer)

Howdy all,

First time posting and first time looking for a truck and curious what the experts here think. I've been looking for a 100 series and found one that's a 99 LC, has rear lockers, what appears to be an old man emu shock/suspension system, and 250k miles. 2 owners and overall looks pretty clean but when I asked for price it came back at $21k. Seemed really high based on the other trucks I've seen, but wondering realistically if I come in at 12-15k if that would be worth it.

I know details are slim, I didn't get a lot from the guy selling it but I did see a full carfax history, timing belt/water pump were replaced at 240k miles and was told it had no rust.

Thoughts? Is this worth digging in more with an offer or should I walk away and find something else?

Thanks all for the advice in advance!
-Chager

Way too expensive. You can get an early model 200 series with less miles for that price he is asking. I don't know if you should waste your time since he probably won't come down that much. Based on his asking price you don't want to deal with him.

saucebox

Slobivius Americanus
$21K seems a bit extreme for something like that. Prices like that usually go to the sub 100K mileage ones that have been kept perfectly stock.

Howdy all,

First time posting and first time looking for a truck and curious what the experts here think. I've been looking for a 100 series and found one that's a 99 LC, has rear lockers, what appears to be an old man emu shock/suspension system, and 250k miles. 2 owners and overall looks pretty clean but when I asked for price it came back at $21k. Seemed really high based on the other trucks I've seen, but wondering realistically if I come in at 12-15k if that would be worth it.

I know details are slim, I didn't get a lot from the guy selling it but I did see a full carfax history, timing belt/water pump were replaced at 240k miles and was told it had no rust.

Thoughts? Is this worth digging in more with an offer or should I walk away and find something else?

Thanks all for the advice in advance!
-Chager
Just to possibly help in your decision, 2 years ago I purchased a '98 LC with rear locker with 212k and in amazing condition. I paid $8500, talked him down from $10k, NM and Texas truck its whole life, so zero, and I mean zero rust. The guys wife used it to shuffle kids around, so interior needed a little LTC, but very little, just a good cleaning. I did recover front seats with new leather. EVERYTHING works. He had a lot of maintenance done just before I bought it. I have put about $4k into replacing some worn out parts, upper/lower front control arms, diff bushings , baselined all fluids and did some things under the hood for peace of mind. I took a ~4K mile round trip through NM, CO & WY, so I did new starter, TB/WP, radiator, alternator, battery, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, new CVs, axle drive flanges, repacked wheel bearings and all 8 new denso coil packs and 5 new BFG KO2s just to minimize failure points. It drives like a brand new one. I say this just to put into perspective, be prepared to set aside a few $k for bringing a used vehicle up to a reliable platform based on your application. But once you do, these cars will rarely, if ever, leave you stranded. Just keep looking, you will find "the one". I'm actually looking at 2 more near me in very good condition, one is a '99 no locker with 281k for $5k, but he is motivated so probably could get it for ~$4k, and a 2000 very clean no locker with 231k for $6k, both with no rust. My point is, they are out there and that price seems too high in my opinion, but I know it depends on the area of the country one is in. Might be worth checking a different area and flying in and driving one home. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
People are getting crazy with the asking price for these rigs. I get it, I own one as well, they are great trucks. At the end of the day these rigs are 20+ years old, things wear out and it adds up quick.

If the truck was in excellent condition that may be a different story but that's hard to find. I over-maintain my rig and I have a long long receipt list to back it up, start with that and ask this guy why he thinks its worth that much.

Pop open the oil cap, is it all gunked up in there. Check trans fluid, does it smell burnt. Look under the rig for dry rotted rubber or rusted up parts. When is the last time they did trans fluid, rear / front diff fluid. How about coolant is it clean.

Keep it simple and dont spend a fortune based on reputation.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Mileage is so much less relevant than maintenance.

I'll repeat:

Just to be safe:

I just rolled over 250k in my truck this month. I wouldn't consider selling it for a dime under $20k, and even then that's less than I'd expect. Sounds crazy, right? I'd get it in a heart beat, too. Maybe not from a regular mudder, but it wouldn't be hard.

Except my truck has well over $6k in MAINTENANCE done in the past year that, frankly, even a 100k mile truck will still need. That's before the cool stuff got added You can pay a premium for the lower mileage to show off to mud, and then you're still going to be doing the exact same list of maintenance the rest of us did. I'd buy a completely documented 250k truck well before a no history 100k truck. You know what a 20 year old truck with 100k on the clock needs outside of regularly scheduled maintenance?

Everything.

Just to be clear, mileage is so much less relevant than maintenance.

Last edited:

jlm43

SILVER Star
That price is WAY to high. For reference, while looking for a 2013ish LX, I found a 2007 LX with 100k miles for $21k. It’s in Texas and has been its whole life.
On that note, I’ve been debating about selling mine to get a 200 series LX. It’s a 2005 LC with 165k miles and would be under $15k.

Great perspectives, thanks for sharing y'all. While I don't anticipate turning the rig into a hardcore mudding machine (my target is more overlanding to introduce it to the family) its good to think about all of the maintenance taking age and mileage into account. While I do like the looks and the color of the car (part of the pull) the dose of reality and confirming the price is high is reassuring. I may low ball offer just to put it out there but will keep on the hunt as well.

3_puppies

SILVER Star

I'll repeat:

Just to be safe:

I just rolled over 250k in my truck this month. I wouldn't consider selling it for a dime under $20k, and even then that's less than I'd expect. Sounds crazy, right? I'd get it in a heart beat, too. Maybe not from a regular mudder, but it wouldn't be hard.

Except my truck has well over $6k in MAINTENANCE done in the past year that, frankly, even a 100k mile truck will still need. That's before the cool stuff got added You can pay a premium for the lower mileage to show off to mud, and then you're still going to be doing the exact same list of maintenance the rest of us did. I'd buy a completely documented 250k truck well before a no history 100k truck. You know what a 20 year old truck with 100k on the clock needs outside of regularly scheduled maintenance?

Everything.

Just to be clear, mileage is so much less relevant than maintenance.

so what you're saying is: mileage is much less relevant than maintenance

If all it has is an OME suspension, he's really overstating the value of that truck. '99s with 200-250k can be had all day for less than $10k. Yes, you'll have to be patient, and careful about inspecting the overall condition. But you don't have to overpay for the truck.

They're great trucks, but the '99s are still 20 years old. $20k is a ton of money for a 20 year old truck that you're most likely going to have to put money into to baseline it and get it to a reliable place.

Here are 2 in the DFW area, to give you an idea of the Texas truck prices, although some are more and some are less. This white one seems to be about average for the year and miles. 2005 with 153k miles, 6 years newer and $5k less than the one you described. Yes , no rear locker, but ATRAC. For just "OVERLANDING to introduce it to the family", ATRAC with center diff lock would get you anywhere you need to go. The silver one is older and more miles, but very affordable. But as we all know, it's probably only at half its life, maybe less than half with proper maintenance. Hope this helps
image.png
image.png

People are getting crazy with the asking price for these rigs. I get it, I own one as well, they are great trucks. At the end of the day these rigs are 20+ years old, things wear out and it adds up quick.

If the truck was in excellent condition that may be a different story but that's hard to find. I over-maintain my rig and I have a long long receipt list to back it up, start with that and ask this guy why he thinks its worth that much.

Pop open the oil cap, is it all gunked up in there. Check trans fluid, does it smell burnt. Look under the rig for dry rotted rubber or rusted up parts. When is the last time they did trans fluid, rear / front diff fluid. How about coolant is it clean.

Keep it simple and dont spend a fortune based on reputation.

I bought one in 2019, I paid much less than I was expecting to pay. When you look at the supply of available 80 and 100 series, you find that there just aren’t that many to be had on any given day.
The usedVehicle that is overpriced imo is the Raptor. I want a raptor. I would pay what they were going for if I had another 20k sitting around. I just have a hard time imagining that they can be worth that much when it seems that there is one for sale every 4 miles, every day of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom