Looking for suggestion for air mattresses or bedding ideas for a family of four Oztent5 camping out of a Land Cruiser with no trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys here is the link for that STOIC mattress that is the exped megamat killer. Price just went down as well over at Steep&cheep and Backcountry. Currently on night 2 on it camping outside of mammoth lakes and with it snowing other night didn’t even feel a thing cold related and with the extra inch of memory foam this thing a dream I’d say about 20-35% more comfortable than the megamat and if you’re a side sleeper this is about 50% more comfortable than its exped cousin. At 6’2, 200lbs this beats it but thought I’d pass along the price alert I received from them about the price changes.

I look forward to a long term update/review on this stoic pad. Lots of stuff on the Google complaining about the valves leaking but you always got to take online reviews with a few grains of salt.

I hope you don't have any problems with it!!!

Night 4 on it went from mammoth lakes to Zion and no issues with the valves. It the same issue as the valves you see with exped. It all user error and not actually reading the valves that say inflate and deflate. Valves seal up just fine and with some adult fun with the lady on it as well didn’t experience them popping out like on a Big 5 special or Coleman air mattress. No sinking during the night. They both blow up and expand the same way so if you have that idea down on exped than this will be a breeze. Only difference I have noticed is I don’t need to finish it off with a hand pump like exped. Heck stoic doesn’t even include one. About 2 breaths if you feel the need to inflate it more. I’m loving it still and will report back from the road once we get to Moab. With a dog and 2 adults both 6 foot it been nothing but a dream and loving the plush top compared to exped slippery surface on the top sheet.

We're big fans of the Exped MegaMats on this end.

Previously had a Duo 10LW. It eventually developed a leak (don't think it was the valve, but not sure); replaced under warranty without any hassle. Now have two of the single 10LXW models, and will be using them on cots in the near future. The most comfortable camping mattresses I've slept on.

Just got my stoic a few days ago. Haven’t slept on it yet, but inflated and laid on it for a while in living room. It’s pretty comfy. I’ve never used a Exped before, but it’s better than any other air or camping mattress I’ve ever used. You can play around with the amount of weight it supports with the air valve. I’m 6’1 230-ish after the holidays and i don’t feel the floor through it. It seems like the trick is to remove as much air from it as possible but still be suspended over the floor. This is easy to adjust with the valve system.

Fits in the back of a 200 perfectly (on a platform over the wheel wells). Also, the way it’s designed it’s easy to fold over for half size. I can’t imagine you couldn’t sleep on it that way as well.

I packed it up once with no help and it was a bit of a chore, but I broke out my Coleman 12v air mattress pump, and it was able to inflate and deflate the mattress with ease (the suction fitting was a perfect match to the stoic air release valve). It took I nder 30 seconds either direction.

At 1/3rd the price of an exped, can’t imagine this isn’t the best deal going.

50455DC2-FD98-49E4-AD52-FB3F98FA1AE7.jpeg
88783C7D-7490-4B6E-9EAC-0B72A78EEBE4.jpeg

Just got my stoic a few days ago. Haven’t slept on it yet, but inflated and laid on it for a while in living room. It’s pretty comfy. I’ve never used a Exped before, but it’s better than any other air or camping mattress I’ve ever used. You can play around with the amount of weight it supports with the air valve. I’m 6’1 230-ish after the holidays and i don’t feel the floor through it. It seems like the trick is to remove as much air from it as possible but still be suspended over the floor. This is easy to adjust with the valve system.

Fits in the back of a 200 perfectly (on a platform over the wheel wells). Also, the way it’s designed it’s easy to fold over for half size. I can’t imagine you couldn’t sleep on it that way as well.

I packed it up once with no help and it was a bit of a chore, but I broke out my Coleman 12v air mattress pump, and it was able to inflate and deflate the mattress with ease (the suction fitting was a perfect match to the stoic air release valve). It took I nder 30 seconds either direction.

At 1/3rd the price of an exped, can’t imagine this isn’t the best deal going.

View attachment 2878324View attachment 2878325

Looks like a good fit!

Inflate it fully, then let it sit like that for a few days. The foam will develop a "memory" of its inflated state, and self-inflation will work much, much better down the line. I keep my Expeds inflated when they are stored/not used.

Thanks. I let it stay inflated for a day or 2 already. I was working out a place I might be able to leave it inflated. I didn’t even really give it a chance to self inflate after letting it sit. It inflated so fast with mattress pump, I just used it.

I have an Exped Mega, two Exped Synmats, a Thermarest basecamp, and a Thermarest Luxury Map. The Thermarest Luxury Map is my favorite followed by the Exped Mega. It has the least air mattress feel, more pressure relief, smaller package, and faster set up than the Exped Mega.

Those 12v inflators are fine if you already need something that big for other things, but if you are looking to keep your gear small and minimal you should look into getting one of these tiny little inflators. I love mine. It takes about 3 minutes to inflate my Exped DeepSleep Duo (same as a Megamat but one inch shallower... fits in my RTT better).

Swap the attachment and put it on the other valve and it deflates it just as fast without my having to wrestle around and squeeze the air out. I can use it quite a few times before it needs a USB recharge. It fits in the palm of your hand and I keep it in the little storage pocket in my RTT. One less thing to pack and carry in the vehicle.

Amazon product ASIN B07RZST1F3
I'm aware it's recommended to keep mattresses stored inflated but I deflate mine so I can keep it stored permanently in the tent. I despise packing and unpacking and the convenience of always having my bedding in there and ready for a spur of the moment night of camping is worth my mattress potentially not lasting as long. A couple years in and no problems yet with that.

Just one thing to add, get two singles instead of one double.

I have 3 Exped Megamat's. One is a double and two are singles. The two singles are the same exact size as the double. Sorry but I don't remember the exact L, LX, LXW, ABDC, XYX size codes that I purchased. But back on topic. I've found it easier to deal with 2 singles than a double as the packing / unpacking is just more user friendly. The other benefit is you don't feel your co-sleeper move like you do on the double. I have a family of 4 so having the 3 works for me. But if it was just the misses and I, 2 singles is the way to go as she doesn't always go with me. When it's just me and dog sleeping in the LC, the single wins.

I have 3 Exped Megamat's. One is a double and two are singles. The two singles are the same exact size as the double. Sorry but I don't remember the exact L, LX, LXW, ABDC, XYX size codes that I purchased. But back on topic. I've found it easier to deal with 2 singles than a double as the packing / unpacking is just more user friendly. The other benefit is you don't feel your co-sleeper move like you do on the double. I have a family of 4 so having the 3 works for me. But if it was just the misses and I, 2 singles is the way to go as she doesn't always go with me. When it's just me and dog sleeping in the LC, the single wins.
I intended to go the 2 single route when I was going to buy Expeds. I can't imagine not going that way, especially if you plan to do any solo camping. Since i cheaped out and got the Stoic, the larger size was the only option. The one thing I don't like about it is it's packed size. I got it packed down enough so that it fits loosely in the provided bag and it's still huge. Having two smaller ones, even if they took up the same volume combined would probably be way easier to store.

This X 100. We got two Exped Long X-Wide (77.6 x 30.3 x 6 inches) and shove them together with queen sized fitted sheets. The two pack better and best of all my wife and I get our own preferred level of inflation (firmness).

I got it packed down enough so that it fits loosely in the provided bag and it's still huge. Having two smaller ones, even if they took up the same volume combined would probably be way easier to store.

This exactly why I prefer the two singles. I actually got the duo first then got two singles for the kids once I knew I like the duo. Then I found myself using the singles more.

my wife and I get our own preferred level of inflation (firmness).

"SleepNumber bed, Overland edition"

I also own 3 megamats. 2 of the narrower versions fit side by side in the back of a 100 on a sleeping platform. 2 of the long extra wide ones won’t fit together.

I have 3 Exped Megamat's. One is a double and two are singles. The two singles are the same exact size as the double. Sorry but I don't remember the exact L, LX, LXW, ABDC, XYX size codes that I purchased.
I'll add that the L/LX/LXW details matter. I have two singles (long, extra wide), each of which is 32" wide, and together they are a LOT wider than the 52"-wide double LW I previously had.

We have onboard air so no need for self Inflating. Been looking around and getting a headache with all the choices. They all say they’re the best so what’s the best value? Been out of the camping scene for about 30 years.
Luno Life SUV mattress running 10% off sale.

www.talkable.com

Get 10% off Luno Car Camping Gear!

LUNOLIFE.COM
www.talkable.com
www.talkable.com

No affiliation, just a neat product and passing on coupon code. I’ve been using for over 3 years and it’s a solid product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom