Looking for suggestion for air mattresses or bedding ideas for a family of four Oztent5 camping out of a Land Cruiser with no trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have onboard air so no need for self Inflating. Been looking around and getting a headache with all the choices. They all say they’re the best so what’s the best value? Been out of the camping scene for about 30 years.

Not all air pumps are equal. Most likely your OBA is a high pressure, low volume. Usually for an air mattress, you want a low pressure, high volume style pump. If you’re in the DeWalt 20v ecosystem, they have a battery air inflator that does both. That’s what I use to inflate my REI air mattress. It’s a “queen” but I call it a camping queen. Plenty of room for two and I’ve enjoyed it over the years.

Exped MegaMat is excellent.

In general air mattresses will not work well for you when it is cold. Air is not a good insulator. An insulating pad is better for year round camping. We use mondo king thermorest on extra wide cots.

Not all air pumps are equal. Most likely your OBA is a high pressure, low volume. Usually for an air mattress, you want a low pressure, high volume style pump. If you’re in the DeWalt 20v ecosystem, they have a battery air inflator that does both. That’s what I use to inflate my REI air mattress. It’s a “queen” but I call it a camping queen. Plenty of room for two and I’ve enjoyed it over the years.

Hey Laser,
How long have you had the REI mattress? How much use? Does it leak?

I've tried several air mattresses and have yet to find one that holds up over time so your experience might be helpful.
Thanks.

In our oztent we use bot a single and a duo exped mega mat. Can’t recommend it enough.

Yep we do an alps cot for our daughter and the exped mega mat duo for the wife and I. That thing is magical. Ive slept on cots, air mattress's..etc and it was a game changer for me.

I have two of the Camp Time cots. They are the green ones which allow a 1-2” therma-rest
to slide in the sleeve for extra comfort. These cots roll up easily, come in a bag, and are very light.
They come in different sizes, so if you have smaller person you can get a smaller cot. I have
their roll table as well. These have been used hardcore on ATV multi day trips, back of land cruiser
trips in ground tents.
Green Wide Ibex Roll-a-Cot ® 74"L x 32"W x 15"H with sleeve for your air mattress

I don’t know why people always want the fastest set ups. A lot of the family fun is setting up
together and organizing everything. I like your tent selection.

I have an Exped and it is great.

I just went to pick up a Duo myself and had to get the Duo Max model instead. Girlfriend flew in mid roadtrip so I needed something quick. Only used it one night but just like my Mega Mat, it did not disappoint. This was the girlfriends first time really camping and she didn’t have any complaints. The REI Kingdom air mattress is still a great option for the money.

Looking at this one.
Amazon product ASIN B07VJL6V2K
looked at the mondo king from Therm-a-Rest but it would be Over $500 to outfit the tent. Too much coin on,something I’ve never seen or touched and have not verified....?
I have 2 of these and they are fantastic. Mine are now 3 years old and still going strong. They see a lot of use on the trail and at home and i would highly recommend them. I typically have a thermal pad underneath them which helps with the insulation.

Another vote for Exped Mega Mat...we have the duo size and have been comfortable down to about 15ºF with the right bags. We also have a big inflatable air mattress (kind that runs off an inverter/built in pump) and I don't find it any more comfortable even though it blows up to be much thicker (like a foot.)

Only thing I don't love is how much space the Mega Mat takes up in the truck, but if you are really aggressive with deflating you can get it fairly flat...hard part is keeping it from expanding it to fill available space (I use some industrial rubber bands, seems to work OK.)
1597024276911.png

Here you can see it on top of our cooler from our trip last month...not ideal but it's light so it's still pretty easy to pull out and get into the fridge when we want to in between camp spots.

Forgot to mention, my kids are young (sub 10) so they are happy on foam pads like the Thermarest Z-lite. Honestly they've slept on snow in just their 20º down bags and the Z-lite pads and been warm...not sure they'll abide that level of mattress when they are older but just saying, maybe the parents get the Exped and something lower profile/cheaper works for the kids...

Just make sure to put focus on the R values of whatever mattress you get. I used a 5.8 r-value in Yellowstone last week and was not cold at all while sleeping in the tent (not rtt). Was using the new version of the rei kingdom and didn’t feel the cold from the ground at all. Also with us was an exped megamat duo (8.7 r value I think) and a Hest twin size mattress (11.7 r value) and none of us woke up cold. I used to have the Hest queen mat and it fit great in the rig and the other 2 mentioned also fit perfectly with all seats down

I love my exped megamat duo for truck camping. And I also love my exped down matt for backpacking.

Just got it today and received the STOIC cloud camp bed and the quality is great for the price point. Doesn’t wrap down as good as the exped but same size give or take, same exact comfort if not better, same r-value and has less setup time than the exped but funny thing it is made by the same manufacturer as exped with the same tech but at a $200 cost difference. Going to try and experiment with exped megamat duo sack it stores into and see if I can get it in a smaller form factor than how STOIC sends and stores them. After I pull it out of the rig in a couple of hours I’ll try and pack it in the exped storage bag before I return the megamat duo back to REI. It that much more comfortable that it got me to return it after buying the exped for my Wyoming trip. So far worth taking a look at as an equally if not better and cheaper price point exped. I’ll attach a link and it came within 2 days from Utah to Lake Arrowhead, CA with free shipping and no sales tax and on top of it being on sale I used a coupon on top of the sale price that I found on Reddit. I believe it is a partnership that backcountry.com has with exped to produce their STOIC brand mattress. Out the door I paid $105.45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom