Looking for some volunteers for a good deed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
As some of you may or may not know. I'm also involved with the Honeywell 4x4 club. And in the past, that club has hosted an annual sort of "charity" run. With the recipients being a group of kids from Easter seals that we take out for a day of mild trail riding. I've been handling organizing this run since it's founder died a few years back.

The past couple of years have been without this traditional run due to problems with Easter Seals. I've had a difficult time finding another group of kids or others worthy of getting the outing. This year we've finally got together with some kids I think will fit the bill. They're known as the Young Marines. You can see some info on them below:

Patriot Battalion Young Marines | Strengthening the Lives of America's Youth
DESERT DEVIL DOGS YOUNG MARINES - Performance, Dedication, Initiative!

Basically they're at risk kids that are involved with this all volunteer group to give them a good direction instead of the bad a lot of them find themselves in.

We're planning to take them on a ride on 3/7/09 to Montana Mt. The theme will be demonstrating responsible off roading. Right now I've got just enough seats to accommodate the ones I know that are planning to be there. However, I'm expecting there will be more than the Honeywell club can handle. I would hate to have to turn anyone away.

That's where you guys come in. I'm looking for anyone willing to host some kids or or staff members for the day. It's an easy and scenic ride, unless it's rain and snow like our prerun. Then it's a little more interesting and a little less scenic.

The kids age range from about 8 to early teen, boys and girls. I've met some of them and they all seem well behaved as you would expect from the military environment.

We will be meeting at the Mesa National Guard Armory at 615 N. Center 85201 in Mesa. Saturday 3/7/09, 8:30 am, hit the road by 9:00. Lunch on the trail then back. Expect to spend most of the day.

If you can help out, let me know here on the forum and how many seats you can provide (with seat belts). Keep in mind that it could happen that there are no shows and we end up with more trucks than necessary. So it's possible you don't end up with a rider. Past experience shows the kids like to switch vehicles through the day. So if you come along anyhow, you could end up with a guest. Or even just carrying a cooler.

This sounds really cool! If I can get my new lift installed on the 4Runner in time I would be in for sure....great test run and great cause. I'll check back in as the time gets closer.

If you are interested I can cross post this on AZFJ, probably peak some interest over there!

A cross post sounds like a great idea. Thanks!
May the suspension gods smile upon you.

Lemme check the calenadar but I should be in for 2 seats and maybe even 3

Cool!
I think we'll need you.
I should have a good head count this week

Lemme check the calenadar but I should be in for 2 seats and maybe even 3

Cool, Let me know.

I'm also involved with the Honeywell 4x4 club. :beer:
we will try not to hold this against you !:hillbilly: (worked at allied signal/honeywell for 14 years)

we will try not to hold this against you !:hillbilly: (worked at allied signal/honeywell for 14 years)

Ah, ye assumeth that I indeed work at said conglomo corpulation :p

Yea I do not!

Though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

The Honeywell club has always allowed a certain percentage of the great unwashed non employees to be members. I've been with them since 91. It was Garrett then, just after Air Research, later to become Allied Signal, nearly to become GE, only to currently be Honeywell. We have T-shirts that say "Identity Crisis 4x4 club" with all of the names on the back.

These days it barely has anything to do with the company, as most of the members are retirees or former employees.

I'll bet you could qualifiy:D

sorry, I have a deadline around that weekend :mad:

Cool, Let me know.

I think we need you Bman, and another to be on the safe side insurance against no shows.

I am in with 1 passenger seat for sure...
Also working to bring Project Rover so that would be 3 more seats with my 18yr old son driving.

Great idea and thanks for letting us help

:clap: This will be good insurance against any potential no shows! Thanks!:clap:

Looks like we may ave some vintage military 4x4 guys join us at the trailhead. Maybe a Pinzy and an M151

Also working to bring Project Rover so that would be 3 more seats with my 18yr old son driving.

These days it barely has anything to do with the company, as most of the members are retirees or former employees.

I'll bet you could qualifiy:D
while i worked there i did meet some of the nicest people. its to bad they ran that place into the into the ground. i have been told most of the buildings on air lane will not be there in three years. an they have no plans to keep the displaced employees

Whew... SCHNIKEES... almost missed this run. I was thinking this was next month... it is now "next month". Sorry you won't be there MissR2 but glad you bumped this.

Cliff,

I'm in for 2 for sure. I'll likely have Luke with me so for comforts sake I'm gonna say 2 max so nobody's cramped.

Where is the trailhead at? Just so I have an idea.

Whew... SCHNIKEES... almost missed this run. I was thinking this was next month... it is now "next month". Sorry you won't be there MissR2 but glad you bumped this.

Cliff,

I'm in for 2 for sure. I'll likely have Luke with me so for comforts sake I'm gonna say 2 max so nobody's cramped.

Where is the trailhead at? Just so I have an idea.

We're meeting and collecting passengers at the Armory in Mesa mentioned above.

But, if you're looking for an idea of distance to the trail. It's on US-60 East of Florence Jct. where the train tracks cross. The turn off is to the north, "Queen Valley" or Hewitt Station rd. depending on who you ask.

Thanks for the seats. I think we'll have just enough, maybe some spares for insurance with the mil-spec boys.

Cool deal! See ya saturday morning.

How's that Project Rover coming? 3 more seats coud be helpful. I just had one 2 seat commitment bow out.

If I don't have to work, I'll have 2 seats. Don't know if you still need a backup, but we'll be there if were not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom