Looking for some trail advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day folks,

I'm looking for some advice on trails to go out with my older teenagers. Depending on the location, we can take:
1977 fj40 - lifted, winch, running 33 KOs, not great for distance on highway, already has trail rash
1989 fj62 - running 32 KO2s, no winch, stock and too pretty to scratch up
1994 fj80 - 33 KO2s, winch, custom rear and top rack, no lockers, has trail rash already

Leaving from the west side of Calgary, I'd like to take the 40 and 80 on a day trip to a lunch spot with views. Also, looking for an overnight camp spot that's similar.

Mud is fine, but not seeking it (i.e. looking for something other than McLean Creek). Also not looking for an intense trail, want to exercise the trucks, rather avoid tipping them :). Happy to go with somebody too - kids are 18 and 19.

Feel free to PM if you are willing to share a little, but not to the world,

Cheers,
Kerry

Well, I am thinking we will go off and explore the Waiparous area. Looks like there are a couple of trails ranked by others as "moderate" we could try and with the wet week we have had they could be interesting.

For reference, there is a site

Wikiloc - GPS trails and waypoints of the World

that has a list of some trails and sat maps with elevation, but not a lot of detailed information. If you pair this with the Gov Alberta site, you should have some confidence regarding trail closures etc.

I think we will try going up the 40 from Waiparous, to the Ghost Airstrip then head over to the Margaret Lake loop, then, depending on time, come back down south on the trail at marker 119 on this map:

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...es/documents/GhostGeoreferenceMap-May2018.pdf

Was going to go Thursday or Friday, but may wait until the weekend for things to dry out,

Will report back if we make it happen, anyone is welcomed to join or just wave on the trail :)

Cheers

There are sweet camping spots along the waiporous river between points 127 and 129. You could take your 62 in there easy. I do all that in 2wd in my 60. People tow RVs up to 127, and there is a hill that stops them, then the camping gets a lot quieter.

Points 51 to 87 is easy going, that’s lost knife trail. 87 to 119 has a very challenging climb, I’d want a winch on that stretch.

It was a great day on Saturday, but things of course didn't go according to plan. We missed the junction at 93 initially and ended up continuing north on the main trail until it dead ends about 45 minutes later. Trail was fun though, muddy, some technical section, not too tough though. Then the 80 started sputtering, hoping its just the fuel filter, might be the cats. Was strong enough that we took a straight shot to the 40 over the foothill just south of 87 mile marker though:

Waiparous.jpg

The 80 performed well and did most of the run just in high gear, the 40 was unstoppable :)