Looking for some tips on replacing the curtain airbags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I just made a new account, but I have been reading off the threads and posts here since I got my 2004 100 series back in the summer. I am slowly fixing this truck up, now I am trying to fix my airbag lights. I have codes P1161 & P1166 that tell me it's the curtain airbags. I recently bought a pair from a junkyard that came off a 2006. I'd like to see if anyone has done the job to replace both sides before I start tackling it. I have little bit of experience throwing wrenches but just never done anything similar. Any experience would be appreciated!

Doesn't the code start with a B, not a P?

Not sure if you're aware, but $20 will get you 2 days of access to all of Toyota's guides via https://techinfo.toyota.com/.

Looking at my FSM, it's not necessarily the side curtain airbags - could be airbag sensor assembly, floor wires #1 or #2, or the curtain airbags themselves. I don't see anything immediately pointing to a common issue considering B1161 and B1165 are indicating that both sides are throwing errors.

Doesn't the code start with a B, not a P?

Not sure if you're aware, but $20 will get you 2 days of access to all of Toyota's guides via https://techinfo.toyota.com/.

Looking at my FSM, it's not necessarily the side curtain airbags - could be airbag sensor assembly, floor wires #1 or #2, or the curtain airbags themselves. I don't see anything immediately pointing to a common issue considering B1161 and B1165 are indicating that both sides are throwing errors.
My bad, it's is B, not a P.

I have never tried the TIS but I think it's good practice to use it, will give it a try. Maybe I can also get the techstream to program me some new keys as well... I also had B0131 and B0136 for seatbelts which I already got fixed by sending them to a seatbelt repairing company and cost me less than $100 for both sides.

This picture is all the airbag codes that the truck has before I started working on it.
Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 6.28.07 PM.png

Out of curiosity, what’s the history on the vehicle, to cause all of the airbag/seatbelt issues? Accident? Water intrusion?

There was a recall for the side curtain airbag on 2003-2006 Land Cruisers. I would see if yours has been done already.

Out of curiosity, what’s the history on the vehicle, to cause all of the airbag/seatbelt issues? Accident? Water intrusion?
I have no idea, the truck itself has so many problems but I fixed most of them except the airbags, I got it off Copart auction. The front diff is busted, and the front bumper shows indications of a front end, but no car fax reports regarding accident.

There was a recall for the side curtain airbag on 2003-2006 Land Cruisers. I would see if yours has been done already.

I took it to the dealer, they replaced the airbag ECU under the recall for me. I had a solid airbag light before, after the dealer replaced the module, the airbag light turns flashing, the same codes. Then I had the seatbelt repair company did my seatbelt which helped with the first two Squib codes.

Use the search function and find my post about the code for airbag squib circuit. It was a connector and after a 10 minute repair the light disappears on its own. Good luck!

Reactions: jLB
Use the search function and find my post about the code for airbag squib circuit. It was a connector and after a 10 minute repair the light disappears on its own. Good luck!
I fixed the open squib circuit the similar way to how you fixed yours, and mailed it off to some company that does it. I assume that is the post you are referencing about, I cleared the first two codes by doing that. Now I really don't want to mess with anything on the curtain airbags and just swap them out.

Or was it this one?
Mine had a driver side curtain airbag light come on that gave me fits until i figured it out.

The problem was the second plug from the igniter and one of the wires in the plug was slightly bent.

Kind of what I was thinking, and why I was asking about the vehicle’s history. I was getting flashbacks to an old 280z that I bought in college. Apparently sometime in its history, it had a severe water problem. I spent lots of nights and weekends cleaning up corroded contacts in the connectors of the wiring harness, and chasing odd electrical problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom