Looking for some mild/moderate trails to run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
I’ll be in Albuquerque until May and looking for some mild/moderate trails to drive with my 4Runner. It’s a 2004 V8 with mild 2.5 lift. Left the cruisers at home but still would like to explore. If you know of trails or up coming trail runs or if someone wants to run some trails let me know. 🤙🏼

Ps - I grew up out here but things have changed in the past 20+yrs. Does the dig? Still exist? Jemez springs is now a resort type place? Haha.

Last edited:
There are some mild forest roads on the east side of the Manzano Mountains (Cibola NF, Mountainair Ranger District). You can download the MVUM or try to stop by a FS office in Mountainair. Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands - Districts - https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cibola/about-forest/districts/?cid=stelprdb5444539
Thanks for the info. I drove some trails up in cibola recently. Looking to explore more. Didn’t bring the mountain bike but pick up a bike out here to ride some trails as well.

There’s the Cedro peak off highway area but I know nothing about it, sorry. @marcfj60 is that what you’re referencing?
Rio Puerco on the west end of southern in rio rancho… take a buddy.
@lurch and @krazykat69 can help with mountain bike options over by San ysidro, maybe cabezon… some mild sightseeing on the maze of Rez roads over there, don’t go if it’s raining.
Magdalena north baldy from the Kelly mine side is nice but a bit of a haul to get there.
My Taylor same thing, beauty views but a long haul. probably snow still with this last batch.
The Digs I knew of as a dumb kid in the 80’s is now Montesa Park off highway area south of the airport… sandy climbs. Nine mile hill is still sort of there, but the pajarito mesa is WAY different than it was back in the day… check out google earth 😬😬😬😬 Beavertowns been closed off a long time, I think it’s walking trails and homeless camps now.
I’ll be going SOMEWHERE 4/2,3, or 4… watch that other thread.

There’s the Cedro peak off highway area but I know nothing about it, sorry. @marcfj60 is that what you’re referencing?
Cedro is an option but it's closer to I-40 than I was thinking. There are a fair amount of FS roads in the Manzano Mountains around the towns of Tajique, Torreon, Manzano and all the way down to Mountainair.

Rio Puerco on the west end of southern in rio rancho… take a buddy.
@lurch and @krazykat69 can help with mountain bike options over by San ysidro, maybe cabezon… some mild sightseeing on the maze of Rez roads over there, don’t go if it’s raining.
Magdalena north baldy from the Kelly mine side is nice but a bit of a haul to get there.
My Taylor same thing, beauty views but a long haul. probably snow still with this last batch.
The Digs I knew of as a dumb kid in the 80’s is now Montesa Park off highway area south of the airport… sandy climbs. Nine mile hill is still sort of there, but the pajarito mesa is WAY different than it was back in the day… check out google earth 😬😬😬😬 Beavertowns been closed off a long time, I think it’s walking trails and homeless camps now.
I’ll be going SOMEWHERE 4/2,3, or 4… watch that other thread.
I love this! Yes the dig is where we used to ride dirt bikes and drive around with a friends Jeep and an old Fj40. That was back in the 80s. It’s hard for me to remember some of the places we used to go for biking and camping because it’s been so long. Thanks for the info. I think I was out near cedro trailhead off of forest service road 242 and 542. I’ll probably hit that area again and go a little further.

Mountain Bike trails at San Ysidro, NM, along the Rio Grande, at Alameda , going north on West side of river, Placitas , NM bike trail system. Foothill trails along the west side of Sandias, access from several points in ABQ.
There are some posted rides on the NM4W.org website, moderate level, right now. Cabezon area, Gordy's Hill area, near Socorro, NM, and Cedro area, near Tijeras, NM.
You can contact the trail leader, for each ride, from the Calendar section on the web page, rides open to anyone with a 4x4. Ride this Sat out by Cabezon Peak area, meeting in San Ysidro, NM.
Large area at end of Southern , in Rio Rancho, Puerco area, best to go with someone else, if you don't know your way around out there.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom