Looking for some help finding the correct thread to post onto (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Cruza friends,

Im trying to plan a trip to Colorado in my completely renovated 1994 80 and want to ask in the correct area. Can someone give me some advice? I apologize, my tech savvy only goes so far. Im a quick learner tho.

IMG_3143.jpg

If you are looking for trail advice maybe look here.

This is a club section so we don’t have sub sections.

What CO_Hunter said. Check some of the threads here. All of our club runs are posted, usually with pictures. Take a look around, see where you may want to go. Colorado is big, so you might just focus on a certain region.

Nice looking cruiser by the way!

What CO_Hunter said. Check some of the threads here. All of our club runs are posted, usually with pictures. Take a look around, see where you may want to go. Colorado is big, so you might just focus on a certain region.

Nice looking cruiser by the way!
Thank you.

Sorry for the delay.

A quick brief about us.

We have had a place in Gunny since 1980. We still visit once or twice a year pending travel Baseball. I have 2 playing 9 months and it consumes all disposable time. Im pretty familiar with the Gunny/CB area. We hike and fish most of the trails in CB, but have never over-landed in Colorado.

I have been building this rig for 2 years and fell pretty good about having all of the necessities to get the job done. I am trailering from SC and we arrive late July. I've downloaded maps from ON X off-road and Overland Bound One. I also have GAIA loaded, but am still trying to learn how to use it.

We have 5-6 days dedicated to being in the mountains by rig. Im stuck on where to start and finish. One thought was to drive north and work my way back south. The other thought was to do a big loop somewhere? If I could have my way, I would love to camp at remote lakes to fly fish and do short hikes with nice scenery which is abundant. My off-road experience is fair. Im no expert, but not an novice either.

Do you fellas mind sharing your thoughts on routes that fit what we are trying to do?

Much appreciated!

If you end up near Montrose or Ouray, let me know, or stop by Proffitt's and say hi.

Paging Bill @ICD FJ40 (our resident flyfishing expert) for some recommendations.

Here are my ideas--
Lake Isabel (west of I-25 near Rye/Colorado City)
Hermit Pass (straight west from Westcliffe, two or three lakes to fish up there)
Cloverdale Mine (20 miles +/- northwest of Westcliffe) two lakes up there to fish)
Arkansas River (public access) along Hwy 50 west of Canon City to Salida (then north to Buena Vista up to near Leadville)
South Platte River on Metberry Gulch (north of Divide, pic below)

000_0007.JPG

I would recommend going south through Lake city you can fish Lake San Cristobal there, then over Slumgulleon pass, on the other side is Continental Reservoir and Rito Hondo. Further south is Road Canyon and Rio Grande reservoirs, if you stay on this road it goes over Stoney pass and comes out near Silverton. Head south from there to get to Durango. In that area is lake Vallecito and Lemon reservoir. Head north from Silverton, at Ridgway State park you can get to Silver Jack reservoir. Go north to Montrose, take Hwy 50 east and you are back in Gunnison.

I would check local fly shops along your route. Generally they are pretty willing to share the latest intel. Plus you will get current information on any closures or voluntary restrictions. Low flows and high temps are stressing fish in certain river and stream areas. DOW is another source of real-time info.

Reactions: SAS
I would recommend going south through Lake city you can fish Lake San Cristobal there, then over Slumgulleon pass, on the other side is Continental Reservoir and Rito Hondo. Further south is Road Canyon and Rio Grande reservoirs, if you stay on this road it goes over Stoney pass and comes out near Silverton. Head south from there to get to Durango. In that area is lake Vallecito and Lemon reservoir. Head north from Silverton, at Ridgway State park you can get to Silver Jack reservoir. Go north to Montrose, take Hwy 50 east and you are back in Gunnison.
Thank you so much. Sorry it took so long to reply. Great info. We are very much looking forward to the trip.

I would check local fly shops along your route. Generally they are pretty willing to share the latest intel. Plus you will get current information on any closures or voluntary restrictions. Low flows and high temps are stressing fish in certain river and stream areas. DOW is another source of real-time info.
Thank you very much. I have saved the comments so I can throw those into the plan. Much appreciated.

Paging Bill @ICD FJ40 (our resident flyfishing expert) for some recommendations.

Here are my ideas--
Lake Isabel (west of I-25 near Rye/Colorado City)
Hermit Pass (straight west from Westcliffe, two or three lakes to fish up there)
Cloverdale Mine (20 miles +/- northwest of Westcliffe) two lakes up there to fish)
Arkansas River (public access) along Hwy 50 west of Canon City to Salida (then north to Buena Vista up to near Leadville)
South Platte River on Metberry Gulch (north of Divide, pic below)

View attachment 2715764
Thank you.

Just reread some from above. The challenge is you seem pretty wide open for the route. There are lots of places to get into remote high lakes (11-12,000 ft) especially by late July. However, they do take time to drive and hike to and that eats into your fishing time. Kind of depends if the goal is more wheeling and exploring with some opportunistic fishing or do some cool exploring and wheeling to get to a fishing area. Some of those high lakes can yield some nice fish. The prettiest Cutts I have ever landed have come near tree line.

Good morning,

Finally sitting down and looking a the routes and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback.

Has anyone done the trail "Dallas Trail 200" from Our that wraps around into the blue lakes that turns into Wrights Lakes spur eventually meandering on 869 that can take you into Telluride. I know the weather doesn't look the best so if anyone has concerns about this trip, please let me know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom