Looking for some advice involving 2LTE/2LT diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I just made a rather large mistake and am looking for some guidance. I traded my FJ55 for a 1991 Toyota pickup with a 2LT diesel in the bed of the truck that needed to be rebuilt. From what I understand from the owner it is 2LT block with a 2LTE head so it is mechanical injection. Prior to the trade we did lots of talking about all the parts he had, he claimed to have everything needed to get the engine back up and running. When we did the trade all the parts were stuffed in the back of the truck, so we stupidly trusted him that all the parts were there. After we got home we started looking through everything more thoroughly turns out we are missing a huge amount of important parts such as Turbo, Flywheel, Gasket set and Radiator just to name a few. At least we got some decent parts Such as the W56 to 2LT bell housing and rods pistons and stuff like that. The guy we traded with says he might know where some of our missing parts are, who knows he is a little scattered. But I’m coming to the conclusion that this engine just isn’t going to go back in the truck with out a lot of money and time. We did get a nice 1991 Toyota pickup ready to have a engine put in it at least. So my thoughts are to put another diesel in it, maybe a OM617 or something along those lines? And maybe I could sell some of the parts I did get. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Also if anyone had a clue what some of these parts are worth to? Thanks a lot.

E59DBEA8-7384-4F6E-9714-38CBF6E04C26.jpeg

907B9779-0C07-4F3B-9C08-09659EBCE876.jpeg

201B36C8-FB75-4581-920D-665E749AE58C.jpeg

E435C49C-2DC5-4C5A-A6DE-6DD49560920B.jpeg

86BC1033-0FE8-4697-8662-6F5831B1EE05.jpeg

Getting that going will be quite a bit of work and expense I'd imagine. Unless you love wrenching and rebuilding stuff, I'd suggest parting that motor out.

That said, I have heard the 2LT-II does bolt to 22R engine mounts. Also it's a direct bolt up to your transmission too. Going with the OM617 will be a little more custom in this regard. Generally speaking the OM617 is a pretty tough low maintenance motor though. 2LT-II's can have problems with the cylinder head and overheating etc. if appropriate precautions are not taken.

If you're going to part it out, there are a few things there that will be worth decent $$. The mechanical injection pumps are worth good $$. Also if your cylinder head is crack free, it's worth decent $$. Are those brand new pistons I see? They might sell for a decent amount too. Plus you'll be able to sell the block/crank/rods/alternator/starter/camshaft etc. If you're patient you could probably do ok on it.

Definitely hit the seller up for the rest of the parts. Offer to dig through his shop and find them...LOL.

Thanks for the reply, there is a tiny crack in the cylinder head so unfortunately that won’t do any good. I was definitely expecting a serious wrenching project with this, and am quite excited about it still.

If the guy I bought it from somehow pulls together the parts he says he has, then I will probably try to rebuild it. Well see though. The truck had the 2LT in it for years until he overheated it. So it is all set up to run the engine, it looks like they did a good swap to. It has a larger exhaust and exhaust temp gauge.

Thanks for the reply, there is a tiny crack in the cylinder head so unfortunately that won’t do any good. I was definitely expecting a serious wrenching project with this, and am quite excited about it still.

If the guy I bought it from somehow pulls together the parts he says he has, then I will probably try to rebuild it. Well see though. The truck had the 2LT in it for years until he overheated it. So it is all set up to run the engine, it looks like they did a good swap to. It has a larger exhaust and exhaust temp gauge.

Might be worth using the 2LT then. A new OEM 2LTE head and associated parts runs about $1300USD before shipping.... Sounds like you'll have to buy those parts at the very least.

Yeah, if do use this engine I will probably buy a 3l head.

This is a bit of an urban myth out there. Both the 2LT-II AND 3L received upgraded cylinder head part numbers. Both of the early part numbers were prone to cracking. The 3L cracked less because it did not have the added heat/fuel from a turbocharger. Around the time people started touting the 3L as an 'upgrade' was around the same time Toyota had upgraded both part numbers.

I run the upgraded 2LTE/2LT-II cylinder head, and I can tell you it's been just fine (7 years now and about 100,000km). I tow lots every summer (3500lb camper plus 5500lb truck) and have had no head problems. Lots of big hills and high temps.

The upgraded 2LTE/2LT-II head is actually slightly more expensive than the 3L one. I would *hope* this is because there is actually something better about it, LOL. When the revisions happened, Toyota would have known the original head had some real flaws. Talking to some local companies that have been bringing in these new 2LTE heads for the past 14 years or so, they've apparently had no repeat customers and many of the vehicles are still on the road.

Interesting, I haven’t heard that before. I would preferably like to keep this engine. But I am a little worried about finding all the parts I need. Do you know if anyone who might have some parts they would sell?

Interesting, I haven’t heard that before. I would preferably like to keep this engine. But I am a little worried about finding all the parts I need. Do you know if anyone who might have some parts they would sell?

These motors were actually produced through to 2002. It's super easy to get parts for them. A lot of US suppliers carry them (like cruiser-outfitters etc.). Or you can order OEM parts from offshore: Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, Ebay, etc.

Go to Megazip to look up the model of vehicle your engine originally came in. There are part drawings there that give part numbers for every possible thing you could need. ToyoDIY is another great source (especially for crossing parts to north american vehicles); although their part numbers are not as up-to-date.

There are loads of 4runners knocking about on ebay uk for next to nothing, plenty being broken for parts too. They were called hilux surf in the uk.

Try these guys if you need a head. Just bought one last month.
800USD plus shipping of around 86.00. By far the cheapest I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom