Looking for roof rack advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had the FrontRunner on my 200 for a few years. Overall, I'm okay with it.

It's very stout; you can climb up on the truck and walk around on it no problem.

Connecting things to it is easy; you slide a bolt head into the grooves and use a nut to hold whatever you want. I adapted my Yakima Space Case to connect to this rack and am very pleased.

I have two FrontRunner accessories; the scratchit straps (or whatever the heck they're called) and the tiedown loops. Haven't used them much, but agree with @Cmab that they seem flimsy.

The FrontRunner rack looks substantial. The side rails are beefy, and the whole thing is stout as heck. I like the look of the sleeker racks like the Gamiviti and others. But the FrontRunner seems more solid to me.

I have not had any corrosion issues, but my truck is garaged pretty much all the time.

Great info! I'm working on trying to figure out how to get 4 bikes with me and an airstream in tow. You are saying that with the wide 66" bars, I can put 4 bikes across the roof? Can I use the trays that hold the entire bike upright? Thanks!
I’ve only put 4 bikes on the roof a few times. I’m speaking in terms of enduro/trail bikes 25-30 lbs each. You can do it, but it isn’t easy. I take a 3’ step ladder when I do. I have two of the front wheel on and two of the front wheel off trays. I put the front wheel on bikes on the outside and front wheel on on the inside. And put them on two front facing and two back facing staggered. Putting the middle two bikes on with the front wheel on will be a swear fest due to how far you have to reach over and not being able to grab the fork easily. Could be a different story if you are using 15 lb road bikes. I have a 2” receiver on the back of my camper trailer and use my north shore 4 on it. The only time I put 4 on the roof is when we go north to caribou hunt. Then I put 20 gallons of gas on a cargo tray on the trailers hitch and 4 bikes on the roof since we bike in and out 20-30 miles. Last year I didn’t want to deal with 4 up top so I put 2 up top and 2 in the camper.
I’ll also add we do 40+ days a summer camping and almost all of them we have our bikes with us.

Here is a picture I found from last spring of our set up with bikes on back. We had an airstream before this TT and it had a 4” receiver as well.

EC612407-E372-4DC5-B4D0-1C6E874F654A.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve only put 4 bikes on the roof a few times. I’m speaking in terms of enduro/trail bikes 25-30 lbs each. You can do it, but it isn’t easy. I take a 3’ step ladder when I do. I have two of the front wheel on and two of the front wheel off trays. I put the front wheel on bikes on the outside and front wheel on on the inside. And put them on two front facing and two back facing staggered. Putting the middle two bikes on with the front wheel on will be a swear fest due to how far you have to reach over and not being able to grab the fork easily. Could be a different story if you are using 15 lb road bikes. I have a 4” receiver on the back of my camper trailer and use my north shore 4 on it. The only time I put 4 on the roof is when we go north to caribou hunt. Then I put 20 gallons of gas on a cargo tray on the trailers hitch and 4 bikes on the roof since we bike in and out 20-30 miles. Last year I didn’t want to deal with 4 up top so I put 2 up top and 2 in the camper.
I’ll also add we do 40+ days a summer camping and almost all of them we have our bikes with us.

Here is a picture I found from last spring of our set up with bikes on back. We had an airstream before this TT and it had a 4” receiver as well.

View attachment 1960829

Great info! As you probably know, the "hitch on a back of the Airstream," is a super heated argument on the forums. Personally, I'd like to do exactly what you did there in that picture. Did you use the north shore rack on the Airstream?

Great info! As you probably know, the "hitch on a back of the Airstream," is a super heated argument on the forums. Personally, I'd like to do exactly what you did there in that picture. Did you use the north shore rack on the Airstream?
Yes, the use of a bumper receiver is heated everywhere. My current TT the bumper is welded through the frame. And I ended up with the north shore after a kuat and 1up. not only is it easier to use and smaller when stored in the garage. The rack itself is 50 lbs lighter then the kuat 4 bike a had prior. So I’m at ~180 lbs of 4 bikes and the rack. Q

Another option, I have a buddy with an rPod and used this front of the trailer with a 1up 2 bike tray

I also know many people that have done a 2”
Receiver on the front for bikes. Only 1 person on a 200 though.

I was going to try the Jack-It but my tongue jack is too tall. I believe it only supports 2 bikes though, but it puts weight towards the front which IMO is much better for handling then hanging it off the rear.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Components-429756-Trailer-Mounted/dp/B01MYRM7MM/

There are ladder-mount bike racks as well, but I'm scared that bouncing around with bikes mounted to it will eventually cause the ladder to work loose, which would be an expensive repair

I'm looking for a bike rack solution as well. Leaning toward the 1Up, or roof mount (I already have 2 RockyMounts Brass Knuckle trays that would fit the factory crossbars). The wife and I are vertically challenged, so a roof solution may not be practical.

If we go with a hitch mount rack, it needs to be suitable for use on the back of a travel trailer. The North Shore looks interesting but their warranty is void if the rack is used on an RV. From their website FAQ section: "...just like all rack manufacturers we have a clause in our warranty regarding a void of warranty if used on RVs and trailers." 1Up's warranty is silent regarding RV use, and their sales team recommends the Super Duty rack for RV applications.

Kuat NV. Love mine. Bomb proof. I’ve had a lot of racks. The Kuat is by far the most solid unit I’ve had.

2EB8EA62-6507-430B-B273-632F0BFFE2C4.jpeg

Hah. Don't you say. Skies going to fall by installing a hitch. That said, it's fair warning about structural and stability concerns because of where the weight is and the amplified motions.

I don't like roof racks because of how tall the vehicle is and the aero impacts. Also because I have a tandem which complicates things. Much prefer to carry bikes in the slipstream via hitch. The cruiser being wide is nice, as I don't even both breaking down the tandem and mount it wide across. It sticks out about 6" on each side, but it's never been an issue.

I ginned up a hitch for my trailer so I can use my modified for tandem bike carrier on both the Cruiser and Airstream. It's a 4 bike stout Yakima FourTimer. When used on the trailer, I limit the use to 2-bike mode.

Last edited:
Hah. Don't you say. Skies going to fall by installing a hitch. That said, it's fair warning about structural and stability concerns because of where the weight is and the amplified motions.

I don't like roof racks because of how tall the vehicle is and the aero impacts. Also because I have a tandem which complicates things. Much prefer to carry bikes in the slipstream via hitch. The cruiser being wide is nice, as I don't even both breaking down the tandem and mount it wide across. It sticks out about 6" on each side, but it's never been an issue.

I ginned up a hitch for my trailer so I can use my modified for tandem bike carrier on both the Cruiser and Airstream. It's a 4 bike stout Yakima FourTimer. When used on the trailer, I limit the use to 2-bike mode.

View attachment 2009590

View attachment 2009589

I just found your thread in the airstream forum and will be doing something similar soon. For the trip I'm on, I found 4 across the roof works just fine with 1up trays on top of some thule bars. Certainly not the cheapest setup in the world but I can't say enough positive about the 1up products. I was worried about weight and noise on the roof but all seemed rock solid and I never heard the additions on the roof. We just drove from VA to ME.
20190616_130916.jpg
I bought the hitch portion to use the trays in the receiver and on the back of the airstream in the future.

I just found your thread in the airstream forum and will be doing something similar soon. For the trip I'm on, I found 4 across the roof works just fine with 1up trays on top of some thule bars. Certainly not the cheapest setup in the world but I can't say enough positive about the 1up products. I was worried about weight and noise on the roof but all seemed rock solid and I never heard the additions on the roof. We just drove from VA to ME.
View attachment 2009819I bought the hitch portion to use the trays in the receiver and on the back of the airstream in the future.
Damn!..How’d you get the bikes up there? I just tried standing on two stacked Frontrunner Wolfpack boxes and can’t reach.

Certainly not the cheapest setup in the world

Understatement alright! I was waiting for the revised 1up production to ramp and be available but couldn't wait anymore. They are a nice product indeed! Not as light as imagined, but built for a lifetime with great attention to detail. They had a extension tray for tandems to boot. Great setup you got there.

I'm getting ready to get underway for an 8 day road trip. I can only bring 2 full size bikes (tandem + adult bike) in my setup. With a kiddie bike in the back of the SUV. One day I'll need to handle 3-4 full size bikes so I'm still interested in a partial roof solution.

With 4 bikes up top, did you notice any additional mpg loss while towing?

I also had need for low noise, low height roof rack with unimpinged sunroof view.

I've had different racks etc on a bunch of different vehicles over the years. As a long time backpacker, I tend to go more minimal when 'car camping' than a lot of people but I still take the bathroom sink. I eventually ended up going the half-rack route for last 15 years with latest version being a FrontRunner half rack. Overall low noise with decent extra capacity to put stuff that I don't want in main cabin.... Exhaust Jack, Backup 8 ton Bottle Jack, Some propane canisters, chainsaw, deer parts, and a few extra gallons of fuel up there with maybe some lawn chairs. If you really need a full size rack that Dissent rack looks quite sweet! With full family with lots of toys or true expedition adventure, that's looks to be a great choice.

Gave up bikes on roof long time ago due to bugs, hassle factor of getting them up there on lifted vehicle and, of course, a few ripped up expensive mtn bikes due to tree limbs (when you tilt the vehicle on back roads, the bikes on roof really tilt:(

Might consider just adding a couple extra factory crossbar members onto existing platform and toss your stuff in duffles, etc on top of them on one side with kayaks on other. (as an aside, I have some for sale) Maybe one of the Yakima Space Cases you can pop on and off for ski season etc. Other cheap great option is what some of the Mudders have done with the aluminum cross flat bar stuff...great thread on them. Quite ingenious solution.

Understatement alright! I was waiting for the revised 1up production to ramp and be available but couldn't wait anymore. They are a nice product indeed! Not as light as imagined, but built for a lifetime with great attention to detail. They had a extension tray for tandems to boot. Great setup you got there.

I'm getting ready to get underway for an 8 day road trip. I can only bring 2 full size bikes (tandem + adult bike) in my setup. With a kiddie bike in the back of the SUV. One day I'll need to handle 3-4 full size bikes so I'm still interested in a partial roof solution.

With 4 bikes up top, did you notice any additional mpg loss while towing?

MPG has been negligible. I got 9.9 all the way to Maine and got 8.5 headed to Tennessee on spring break without bikes. I vary between 65 on flat ground and will peak 75 on the downhills. I will use the downhills for momentum when towing and not hammer the throttle uphill unless necessary. I got 13.5 in Colorado with a 25 foot rental Airstream and that did not make any sense. Maybe it was more downhill than uphill for every tank.

I'm looking for a bike rack solution as well. Leaning toward the 1Up, or roof mount (I already have 2 RockyMounts Brass Knuckle trays that would fit the factory crossbars). The wife and I are vertically challenged, so a roof solution may not be practical.

If we go with a hitch mount rack, it needs to be suitable for use on the back of a travel trailer. The North Shore looks interesting but their warranty is void if the rack is used on an RV. From their website FAQ section: "...just like all rack manufacturers we have a clause in our warranty regarding a void of warranty if used on RVs and trailers." 1Up's warranty is silent regarding RV use, and their sales team recommends the Super Duty rack for RV applications.
If your putting it on a camper north shore is the way to go. It sits very close to the number and weight half what most tray racks do. Rack plus 4 trail/enduro bikes and I’m well under 200 lbs.

image.jpg

Here is a view with the bikes loaded on. We m using a curt 2” receiver and my bumper is welded through the frame of the camper.

15E4B201-23B6-40A1-94AD-979EEA7952F7.jpeg

6B2D7399-8ABB-40DE-BB83-18B1E752B9FE.jpeg

463D0366-5508-46C3-B3DC-CDB37F3D46BE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom