Looking for recommendations for suspension lifts…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeing what’s out there ya’ll prefer / use? Something either 2’-4” lift. Any insights / pros vs. cons would be appreciated. Pics too would be great of your lifted rigs.

There is this FAQ page for suspensions. A lot of old info.

Im in the same boat as you. I’ve been waffling for about 2 years!🤪

Seeing what’s out there ya’ll prefer / use? Something either 2’-4” lift. Any insights / pros vs. cons would be appreciated. Pics too would be great of your lifted rigs.

Short story, a 2-12" lift will let you run 33" tires, with un-cut rear quarters (if you don't flex it too hard). This is a popular, dare I say, "classic" combination that improves off-road performance over stock. And looks good while doing it.

There are lots of existing threads with photos of rigs like that, but since you asked nicely, here is mine: 3" lift Alcan Springs, longer shackles, 33x10.5x15 tires.

Poughkeepsie Gulch-2.jpg

IMG_0861.JPG

I’ve always installed 2.5” OME lifts from Cruiser outfitters. However it does depend on your mission. I’ve always run 33” tires without any issues.

I did recently install 3” Alcan springs to my 55 but only cause I didn’t want to move the spring perches.

Check out the build threads by @wngrog
I think he likes Dobinson's 2 1/2" and some particular shocks that I don't recall.

What is your intended use and desired tire size?

Boom..^^^^ Pavement Princess or you going to wheel in those GA mountains? Kids, wife, dog(s) and camping gear? Hardtop? Portable hunting camp and the occasional white tail (or two)? UGA Debutantes??

What feels good down around Savanna won’t do you justice on a goat path in Dahlonega. Just say en’ cuz.

“Dahlonega”…Pretty sure I spent 10 yrs there one month…Sorta vertical, both up or down as I recall…😉

Last edited:
A word of caution: if your 40 is garage kept and has a hardtop, check to make sure that your lifted truck will have adequate clearance under the door.

View attachment 3078360
^^^^this^^^^

Plan ahead, wish I did.
My 1940s garage opening couldn't handle a lifted 40 even top less. Slightly trimming the garage header and a roll up door solved the problem.
4 inch HFS springs with 35's and Bilstein shocks for me, no complaints.👍

fotor_1657412366106.jpg

Dobinsons IMS is the best riding 40 suspension I’ve ever driven.
What are your thoughts on stretching a dobinson's to about 4" of lift with extended shackles and some shackle hanger relocations to get shackle angles right? I would do a cut & turn up front to get the caster right. I need to make room for my tall skinny 35's and my current 2" SOR lift springs are stiffer than a covered wagon, I hate them other than the larger FJ60 style bushing size, they have to go. They must have grossly overspeced the spring rate on those things to account for all kinds of extra s***. I have a request into Deaver for the cost of custom leafs, but I suspect that route is going to be a hard no for me as I suspect it will be upwards of $2k for just the springs.

Check out the 2.5" kit Redline has. I am very happy with it!

Redline Lift Kit

IMG_1404.jpg

i'm also about to pull the trigger on suspension rebuild. after watching a tlc4x4 video where ward compared ome shocks to eighties monroes, i'm attempting to copy his setup with ome leaf-springs and fox shox. i'm in bulgaria so ordering parts is without the convenience of returns when i get a part number wrong. i might end up with yet more mismatched shackles and bushings cluttering the garage.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 16-43-59 ARB OME (Old Man Emu) Suspension Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser...png

i found this diagram in another youtube video (search bj40 wuestentauglich) that cleared up for me the difference between the ome bushing kits. it was the part i struggled the most to determine correctly. but it's easy to measure after seeing this picture.

there are:
  • OMESB1: 18mm bushing inner (pin) diameter, 35mm bushing outer (hanger eye) diameter
  • OMESB30: 15mm bushing inner (pin) diameter, 25mm bushing outer (hanger eye) diameter
1660053609223.png

The Ironman 4x4 kit is pretty good…night and day over worn out stock suspension. The stock springs had grooves rubbed in the leaves, the bushings were trashed, and the shackle pins were wallowed and rusted. I ordered a kit that included new grease-able shackles/pins and it was on sale as well. Looks like the summer sale gets you 15%. They rate the springs by expected load as well.

This 40 is only weekend cruiser, so the extra expense of OME wasn’t worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom