Wanted Looking for Pre-74 Round Tail Lights and Brackets - TX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Id like to find a set of the round red tail lights and brackets for my FJ40. If anyone has a nice used set, let me know. They do not have to be perfect, a little patina is preferred. My 40 isnt of restoration quality.

Im in the W/SW houston area, but will pay for shipping.

are you looking for the larger or smaller lights?

I had no idea there were different sizes. The ones i found on ebay says they are from 69-74. I couldnt find a left one.
1678886023066.png

Kurt a Cruiser Outfitters has them. There is 3 sizes. The really early ones are smallest and domed, about 3”, middle years are flatter and bigger, just under 4”, even later ones, until they went to tricolor rectangular ones were even bigger. I just bought the middle size and they were very reasonably priced.

I just bought the middle size and they were very reasonably priced.

Did the new lights include the protective dome on the back or just the lights?

The small one are the same as bib lights just red versus amber ot clear. Would have to check but believe the small and medium mounting bracket shared the same mounting holes on the rear crossmember. These bolted to the back side of the rear frame member. Later holes were offset from each and bolted to the front of rear frame member.

Id like to find a set of the round red tail lights and brackets for my FJ40. If anyone has a nice used set, let me know. They do not have to be perfect, a little patina is preferred. My 40 isnt of restoration quality.

Im in the W/SW houston area, but will pay for shipping.
You can still buy new brackets and lights from Toyota for a cheaper price than most shmucks on eBay will try to sell used garbage for.

You can still buy new brackets and lights from Toyota for a cheaper price than most shmucks on eBay will try to sell used garbage for.

Haven't checked but believe only the lights are available for the 64-68 lights? Someone was working on making the back protective cover and a solid bracket versus stamped like OEM.

Not sure if the early one are available aftermarket. Remember making a couple sets of lights using aftermarket red lenses and new bib lights. Just a matter of soldering another wire. Interesting how Toyota only used the bib light for a turn signal on the FJ25 but never changed the lamp socket to a single element lamp. Lucky because it makes it easier to make early tail lights.

I ch
Haven't checked but believe only the lights are available for the 64-68 lights? Someone was working on making the back protective cover and a solid bracket versus stamped like OEM.

Not sure if the early one are available aftermarket. Remember making a couple sets of lights using aftermarket red lenses and new bib lights. Just a matter of soldering another wire. Interesting how Toyota only used the bib light for a turn signal on the FJ25 but never changed the lamp socket to a single element lamp. Lucky because it makes it easier to make early tail lights.
SOR shows all the lights/lens available for all years.

I see the early ones are $90 apiece. Does say OEM or aftermarket. Do not know what E means at the end of the part number. Also middle size has aftermarket mounting brackets that are solid steel not OEM stamped. Also no back covers, not even used. Early didn't have back covers. Those mountimg brackets are also NLA. If the overall size is the same on small and medium mounting brackets could use the back covers from the medium on the small ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom