Looking for opinions on this FS FJ62, 1989 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this posting. If not, please indicate the more appropriate location.

I am looking to buy an FJ60/62 wagon or a LR Defender as a secondary vehicle. Not heavy off-roading but simple trail stuff in addition to winter road traversing. Not looking to break the bank, either (budget of up to $10k-15k), and not looking for a major restoration project. Not sure what is reasonable in that range but there seems to be a lot out there. There is one that has come to my attention that I'm real keen on and wanted to get yall's thoughts on it.

High level: Spent most of its life in Hawaii and Cali, no body rust and no frame rust, recent OME full Dakar lift with Man-a-Fre shackle reversal kit for an additional 1" of lift.

Specific specs:
• Recently rebuilt transfer case with McNamara Drive Gear from Australia with all new seals and fluids
• New Toyota OEM brakes with stainless steel braided extended brake lines.
• New Toyota OEM coolant hoses and flushed coolant was replaced with Toyota red coolant
• New OEM cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires
• A/C was just recharged and blows ice cold
• Freshly rebuilt starter contacts with all OEM Toyota parts
• I have a stack of receipts that come with the vehicle and most all work was done at Toyota dealerships
• New 16" x 7" Cragar Soft 8's with BFG Mud Terrain KM/2's with 255-85/16 equivalent to 33" x 10.5" x 16" - The wheels have the correct backspacing and do not require the use of spacers!
• Rear gear swapped out and picks up great off the line and still cruises at 2,500 RPM's @ 70MPH!
• Engine is super strong and does not burn or leak any oil
• The transmission was recently replaced.
• There is absolutely no rust anywhere. Never been wheeled off-road and has been garaged most of its life
• Never smoked in and never off road or abused! Look at the condition of the seats and headliner.
• Interior (including seats, carpets and headliner) was just professionally cleaned and looks like new. It is truly amazing the condition of this interior.
• No leaks, no rust, fully serviced, a new stereo, great tires and new paint, clear title.
• The stereo is a Bluetooth enabled head unit that allows for calls and music to be played through the speakers. It is a pretty nice unit.
• Plus the 1989 and 1990 models are the only year of the FJ 60-62's series that had the factory rear shoulder harnesses that make these the ideal years for enjoying these as daily drivers
• This is literally a buy it, drive it and enjoy it FJ and believe it or not, the pictures don't do it justice
• The dash is crack free which is incredibly rare for the 60-series Cruisers
• The bumpers are straight with no dents
• The interior is in great condition and the seats feel like new with no appreciable degradation of the seat foam
• All windows and door locks work like new
The vehicle has had many recent upgrades and has been maintained and serviced regularly.
The recent upgrades and serviced items are:
1. Valves adjusted
2. Fuel Injection serviced
3. New front brakes with stainless brake lines
4. New washer fluid pump
5. All electric windows lift’s and door locks have been serviced and have had relays added to ensure many trouble free years of service
6. Recently replaced front drivers master window switch
7. Brand new PPW Windshield (the best replacement glass) and factory gasket
8. New paint which is absolutely stunning. It is a 2011 Mustang Sterling Grey metallic and pictures don’t even do it justice (original paint was starting to fade which is common on these models).
9. Tune-up: new plugs, cap, rotor, wires and air cleaner
10. 2" receiver hitch with rubber cover
11. Alignment & tires balanced and rotated
12. New Rain-X wiper blades
13. New side marker and tail lights
14. Clear front indicator lights
15. New AT shifter bushings
16. New dome light lens
17. New coolant and fluids
18. New antenna
19. New side emblems
20. Recent detail
21. Recent Optima Red Top battery
22. Custom alarm system with keyless entry
23. Windows were tinted all the way around. Keeps the interior cooler on those hot summer days.
24. Smoked tail lights
25. New front side marker lights
26. New front clear turn signals

Price is $12,500. Pics aren't great, but here they are:

2w7jw4p.jpg

fwepd.jpg

2ly3ccl.jpg

2eev9cj.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Gumer

So. What's your question again....

With all that you've listed it sounds like you've talked yourself into it. Sure sounds like a good deal if all that has actually been done.

You sound very excited about this truck. If you're happy with it and it's in your budget what's to question???

if thats all the stuff and upgrades you want done on it then its a go, but if not then I say its expensive....remember this is a 20 plus year old vehicle and asking for 12,500......just sayin.....i say buy a cheaper one and do upgrades that you want to it.

Thanks all. Yes, I am okay with those upgrades. My general concern is a 200k mileage count at that price. But, otoh, I suppose most 88-90 FJ60s will have mileage approaching that range.

Is there something that stands out in the specs that is a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks again.

I think that's way too high of a price considering both the truck and the add-ons. It only appears to have a suspension lift and the truck looks like its in good shape, but not anywhere like 12k shape. Also, the replacement transmission concerns me. Where did he get it from? What's the history on it? The original transmission and transfer case both went out at 200K?

What's the rear gear swapped out?

It always makes me wonder when a truck has 33" tires and a lift, and reduced gearing, and the owner says it has never been wheeled...

Would you buy all of that stuff and never wheel it?
just for looks? If I made those upgrades, I would take it off road.
Just seems like a silly claim for a cruiser, "never been off road"...
NEVER???

Only rear gears re-done? If so then using 4x4 is out.
I think the beauty of owning one of these trucks is having one with a few dings and scratches, that way you never worry about adding others...

For that price you should be able to get a cruiser with a v8 and lots of add ons like sliders, rack, lockers, etc. Good luck!

thats true, but there are some odd ball dudes out there....
It always makes me wonder when a truck has 33" tires and a lift, and reduced gearing, and the owner says it has never been wheeled...

Would you buy all of that stuff and never wheel it?
just for looks? If I made those upgrades, I would take it off road.
Just seems like a silly claim for a cruiser, "never been off road"...
NEVER???

Only rear gears re-done? If so then using 4x4 is out.
I think the beauty of owning one of these trucks is having one with a few dings and scratches, that way you never worry about adding others...

For that price you should be able to get a cruiser with a v8 and lots of add ons like sliders, rack, lockers, etc. Good luck!

Looks very nice. I'd take it for a test drive and buy it if you like it.

• Rear gear swapped out and picks up great off the line and still cruises at 2,500 RPM's @ 70MPH!

You need to get more info on the rear gear swap. Was the swap to replace gears with another set of 4.11s or some other ratio? And are the front and rear ratios now the same? If the Cruiser will run 70 mph @ 2500 rpm then the rear ratio is either 4.11 (stock FJ62 ratio) or 3.7 (stock FJ60 ratio).

$12,500?

I paid $18,400 for my truck, brand new, in 1988. So somewhere around 1991-1992, it was worth $12,500. That would be 20 years ago.

This truck sounds almost new, with all the work etc., except for the 200k! Mine's got 140k on it. For $6000, you could get all this work done on mine, and make another $6500 on the sale.

I dunno, sounds expensive to me. Course, west coast prices vs east coast prices...and rust!

You need to get more info on the rear gear swap. Was the swap to replace gears with another set of 4.11s or some other ratio? And are the front and rear ratios now the same? If the Cruiser will run 70 mph @ 2500 rpm then the rear ratio is either 4.11 (stock FJ62 ratio) or 3.7 (stock FJ60 ratio).

x2 on this. Shouldn't do one without the doing the other, unless you dont want to run in 4WD. You'll get in some mud or snow, and the arse end will want to come around on you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom