Looking for my first 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I bought a new Yellow '79 in early 1980 from Toyota of Tulsa. Serial number FJ04000308178. I regretfully sold it after only two years of ownership. It remained locally owned for a number of years and I had two different chances to buy it back but didn't. It was always pretty easy to spot by a thin, horizontal black stripe at the top to tub joint. (When I first removed the hardtop for summer fun there was primer under the gasket. I thought I was being slick by spray bomb painting over the primer with semi-gloss black. I figured taking the stripe down to the tub body line would make the paint line crisp. This would cover the primer (and a small amount of the factory yellow). I did not think about the 3/4" of black stripe showing once the top was back on.)

I figure chances are slim but wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of my old 40. I have not seen it locally for many years but maybe it's stuck back in someone's shop. :) When new it was pretty "light" on options. No radio & no lock-out hubs. I added these items later (aftermarket). I still have the window sticker and a spare key. Only option was rear seat heater.

I've owned a couple of 40s since, (and currently have a '78 I'm trying to bring back from near death), but how cool would it be to have my first one.

Was power steering and air also an option ? I actually do not know what were options in 1980 and up.

No PS or AC. I didn't think they were available until '80 anyway but I may be incorrect on that. I know that soon after we bought our '79 we drove to Muskogee and saw a new sky blue 1980 on a lot that had radio, lockouts, AC, & PS and it was less $$ than what we paid for our '79!

Was power steering and air also an option ? I actually do not know what were options in 1980 and up.

1/79 the power steering and A/C was the date these became a option on the 4X series. These were always a option like a rear heater, free wheeling hubs and a radio.

Toyota continued to make improvements to to the FJ40 until the end productions. US market did not get them all and by 83 only a few hundred made their way here.

my Feb or Mar 1980 has PS and A/C stock,

Toyota continued to make improvements to to the FJ40 until the end productions. US market did not get them all and by 83 only a few hundred made their way here.
I passed on a brand new mustard yellow '83 FJ40 in March of 1984 at Toyota West in Las Vegas. It was on the showroom floor next to the beige '84 FJ60 we bought that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom