Looking for my 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What ever happened to the land cruiser data base ? IIRC for some years it was on here and people could post their vehicle vin & other dtat just for situations like this. Someone may have put it on there at some point, it's worth a look. Kinda like Mudfax for fj's.

I’m not sure about other states, but in WA, you can pay like $40 and they’ll give you the last registered owners name and address. This is mostly (always) used for sending them a release of interest for the case where you bought something with no title, vehicle left on your property when you bought it, etc. I have used this trick a few times to get owners info on a car in someone’s yard or side of business. Just need the VIN. May be worth seeing if there’s something like that. Tactfully asking without outright lying, just omitting some details maybe?
I believe Arizona and California have similar provisions to search a vin. The California one is convoluted but doable. I have done it in Arizona and they gave me a few prior registration addresses.

Wench
FF209E07-FCF0-4FAF-AD98-BFF5115C8251.jpeg

Winch
5A9FA4B5-D900-46FA-9E3E-2A2658787ED1.jpeg

If your Fj40 actually has a wench on the front it’s going to be a lot easier to find.

What ever happened to the land cruiser data base ? IIRC for some years it was on here and people could post their vehicle vin & other dtat just for situations like this. Someone may have put it on there at some point, it's worth a look. Kinda like Mudfax for fj's.

It's still there and somewhat active. But people seem to be apprehensive about posting their frame number publicly. Understandable I suppose with the ever increasing value of these.

Did different manufacturers use the same serial numbers back then because the vin report I got shows my fJ40 all over the place it’s only been a few years shows it in registration in Florida a couple of times then a few times in Missouri ? I don’t think it went from Missouri to Fl then back to Missouri maybe?

WINCH not WENCH
Please, my brain hurts when I see this.

Found it in Classic Cruisers sold inventory. I sent them an email asking if they could tell me who they sold it to. The only issue is the price they sold it for was almost twice the amount I sold it for. Maybe they added a gold bar too it. Hopefully I here back from them worth a shot. Missouri DMV was no help.

It was vintage cruisers not classic I just texted Greg to see if he could help me in any way.

He way way overpaid buying it from Greg at Vintage. Hope it all works out for you.

I believe Arizona and California have similar provisions to search a vin. The California one is convoluted but doable. I have done it in Arizona and they gave me a few prior registration addresses.

Was this a newer seventeen digits or older one AZ DMV helped with? In 2002 I gave my 79 FJ40. 2009 they got a divorce and got it back minus the title which they had never transfered. I called DMV and even with the VIN they told me that had way to track the title. Was told would have go to.the warehouse and do a hand search. Couple years later go thru my titles realized I had made a copy of the title. Copy ce thru with void on it but with the title number had a duplicate in five minutes at a DMV office. The ex finally located the original about a year ago.

Well I am 99% sure it’s a con job. Guy says in Yonkers NY wants to ship it to me for free. I asked him some questions where he would have to have the car to know. Silence since then. There’s a lot of scummy people out there. So the search continues. I did email Greg at vintage to see if he would tell me who he sold it to no response.

Well I am 99% sure it’s a con job. Guy says in Yonkers NY wants to ship it to me for free. I asked him some questions where he would have to have the car to know. Silence since then. There’s a lot of scummy people out there. So the search continues. I did email Greg at vintage to see if he would tell me who he sold it to no response.

Having a pre 81 with a short VIN makes tracking down a vehicle much harder. With seventeen digits CarFax could short where the vehicle was being registered. Personally if you wanting your old Cruiser back that bad would inspect the vehicle in person even if it means flying there. Or possibly have a well know long time mud member do an inspection and take some pictures for you. Internet has brought a whole kind of.con artist.

Maybe send Greg another message and ask him to contact the owner to see if it was OK with him to pass his info onto you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom