Looking for Local Drive Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

None of y'all know me, so a brief introduction. New Mexican since '81, Land Cruiser owner since '14, got a '93 that needs a head gasket, and an LX470 that I use to cart the fam into the mountains every chance I get. I ran into a few of you in Jemez Springs last summer, but haven't made it to any of your meetings.

In an effort to keep my boys from going completely stir crazy, I'm looking for some day trips around ABQ in the 2-6 hour range. I've done the Cedro/FR 13 loop a bunch of times, and I'm looking for some other options. The Lexus's previous owner swapped out the stock suspension so it rides about a half inch higher than the 4X4 mode, but other than that, it's stock, so I can't tackle anything too crazy. Any suggestions?

None of the Forest Service Roads in the Jemez have opened yet. I would suggest looking South of Albuquerque, Gila area maybe. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions.

Cabazon Peak area. Go to Guadalupe ruins. Continue to Tapia Canyon. I hear there is some nice rock art out there.

I agree with pappy, for this time of year, Cabezon Peak area has many dirt roads, mostly BLM areas. One good entry point is just south of San Ysidro, NM on Hwy 550. Signage for Ojito Wilderness area/White Ridge bike trails at road off Hwy 550. Taking this approach can get you to Cabezon peak area, or drive north of San Ysidro, on Hwy 550 for maybe about 15 miles, and turn left off hwy on to state hwy 279. This will take you more directly to Cabezon peak and all the exploration around that area.
Pappy mentioned the Guadalupe ruins, and that is a wonderful place to get some hiking up to the ruins on that mesa.

#2. South on I-25, to just north of Socorro, NM. Quebradas Backcountry Byway. Many dirt roads east of Socorro and Rio Grande river. BLM area. This is home to Gordy's Hill off road area. everything from easy to extreme off road, but you could explore all the main dirt roads for most of the day. Exit off I-25 at Escondida exit east of there is a bridge over Rio Grande that gets you to the main dirt road for this area.

#3.West on I-40 to Hwy 117, just east of Grants, NM. Pavement, but there are some BLM dirt roads off to the east of this hwy, near Cebollita Peak. There's some good hiking in the El Malpais Nat Conservation Area, and some petroglyphs in that area also. You might be able to get directions to these ruins on the Malpais website.

Hope this keeps the family occupied for a while.:steer::popcorn:

HI Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. Guadalupe Ruins has been on my list for a while, and the areas to the west and south will be new to me. These are enough to keep us busy for a while.

I have not been there, either, but pictures I have seen are great.

Take the boys to San Lorenzo canyon as it offers scrambling opportunities and you can easily kill a whole day there. Be sure to take hydration packs and snacks with you.

The off-roading is marginal but the hiking and scenery is pretty awesome. I'd be happy to lead some folks since Ive been there several times, social distancing rules apply, of course.

I would go! 🚐

I would be up for this trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom