Looking for lift recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, thinking about a mild lift on my 55, just starting to toss around the idea. I weighed a lot of options with my 78- ended up springing her over with FJ60 power steering. It worked great- that old girl wheeled well and went down the road straight as an arrow with 35" mud terrains on it.

But I don't want to go through all that work for a street truck, and don't want to be as high as I was with the SOA piggy. Looking to see what springs/shocks I can buy and bolt on to get a 3-4" lift- any suggestions will be appreciated. As I recalkl OME doesn't make a package for a 55, right? I recenly parted a 60 with Dobinson springs- they looked great, the truck sat nicely, and I've been told they ride well as well as flex well. Are they available for a 55? I also recall someone on ther forum maybe offering an OME package that would require some mods that need welding- who is this? Anyone have experience with this setup?

In any event I am looking for suggestions, pro and con. I want to do this once, and do it right the first time. Thanks, Gary S

Many years ago, my Pig was sort of sagging in the back. I had a blacksmith shop re-arch my springs and add a couple leafs. Lifted the rear nicely. That and some longer shackles gave me enough lift to run 33s easily (I really like the double-D Mark A. shackles). The re-arch probably cost as much as new Alcans, but they fit the first time and it was done in one day...

re-arching works well in some cases, but for a 3-4" lift you really want new, longer leafs,,,, ALCAN spring has gotten the 55 thing down pretty well, to a point that you can simply give them a call, tell them the lift and weight you want and done.

just thought i would throw in a bit of information that i got from alcan i filled out the form for my Pig. a few days later they sent me an email The cost was $500.00 for the front springs and $540.00 for the rear springs.

Gary:
Simply because I had the pieces gathered in various parts purchases, I installed MAF add-a-leafs and one inch longer shackles front and rear. Disassembled the spring packs, repainted and lubed, and re-assembled with the extra leafs and new bushings. Ended up with exactly a 3-inch lift all around and a ride that is only slightly harsher. Pretty inexpensive and a good end result that will accommodate at least 33x10.50s, which is as large as I intend to go.
Here's how it looks with 31s....

Kokopelli%20Trip%20015.jpg

Don't think anyone makes a kit for the pigs anymore, had a heck of a time getting Ironman to sell me 60 front and 40 rear shocks for the 3" lift I have :-(. You can use any 40 front lift springs if you relocate the center pins, Alcan is the only game I know of for the rears. A guy did a complete OME 70 series lift and posted about it if you search, supposedly you only need to move the rear spring hangers ... I assume Dobinson/Ironman would be the same.

Good luck ... body work is looking good ;)

Tucker

My shocks are ProComp. Called their tech line and they had me measure distances top to bottom and provided numbers for the appropriate shocks.

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters has an OME "kit" for FJ55's that he put together from 75 series springs. The kit is only a 2.5 inch lift but it rides very nice.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-...ety/290811-75-series-spring-swap-my-55-a.html

and here's the link to the Cruiser Outfitters page.

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_55series_dakar.html

You do need to move the rear spring hangers rearward.

Paul

This...
Sounds like a solution worth checking on, and Kurt is always good to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom