looking for intel on San Luis Valley-Del Norte (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which CO club would be the best contact for info on the area? My wife is accepting a job there and I am trying to get plans together on where to live, rental info etc. Also emissions testing for my 40, cost to register vehicles... the estimator for my registration came back at over $1000 for my new Dodge 3/4 ton? I have land on the East side of the valley but it would be a long commute. I use to live in Co Spgs many moons ago, hoping this is a workable step to leave the South.

Thank you,
Bret

I guess it depends on where her job is at...Del Norte area I'd say South Fork, Del Norte or Monte Vista. Outside of Alamosa...there isn't a ton in the valley. As for rentals, etc...haven't a clue...I'd check the web. There shouldn't be any emissions...I think Denver is the only place in the state you have to get smogged. Registration fees are based on the cost of the vehicle and age...newer more expensive cars are costly to register. Del Norte is within a couple hours of great wheeling in the San Juans...lots of excellent trails...I find myself there several times a year!

We paid 26K for my wife's Jeep, and its about $550 a year to register. Really sucks to have to register your vehicles ever dang year, in Louisiana it was every 4 for cars, and 5 for trucks. You're probably out of luck on the Dodge. If your cruiser is 1975 or older you can register it as a collector vehicle and get 5 year tags with no emissions, but as Kyle mentioned, there's no emissions in that area anyway. There are always talks about bringing back state wide emissions testing though.

That's a great area, you're going to love it there. :)

Thank you for the reply. Any trouble registering a 40 with a shackle reversal that is covering up part of the VIN on the frame? Door jam plate is in place.

You'll have to get a "vin inspection" on every vehicle you register from out of state. Basically you have to pay a dealer 30 bucks to tell you that your vehicle is your vehicle and they give you paperwork to take to the DMV. It's ridiculous. I've only ever had them check my vin plate, I would imagine if they can see at least half the frame numbers, that would be ok.

Last edited:
What is the "typical" build level of the trucks capable of making most of the trails in the area? I am going to need tires here pretty quick so if I need to step up in tires size now would be the time. Currently running 36" irocs, H55 and a FI 383. Lockers, SU/SR in the front SO in the back. Would love lower gears, just not too much room for crawl box.

It all depends on the trails. There are some in the state (Holy Cross, Indy, Liberty) that are much more difficult and require modifications such as yours. A majority of the trails in the state can be run stock or slightly modified (rear locker, 33's, bit of extra lift, etc). I'd say what you have going will get you up almost any trail you want...
www.traildamage.com should give you some idea of what we have here...

Thanks for the link, hope to touch bases with everyone by spring.

Your cruiser is plenty well built for the trails here. Other than the few extreme trails (carnage, independence, billings/ bangs canyon) you'll be fine.
One thing to note though, I moved here from Louisiana in 2007 and had my rig set up for boulder fields, hill climbs, and mud pits.... Around here there is almost always an off camber spot on every trail. Had to change some things on my rig to lower it and get some balance going to keep it shiny side up. The formula for colorado is as little lift as possible with cutting to fit tires, lots of skid plating, and more down travel than up travel. Also, some mud terrain tires do ok in the ice and snow, but for the most part, more aggressive All terrains seem the work better. We just don't have any mud. The coopers, BFG's, and lately Goodyear duratracs are king. I had some Remington mud brutes when I got here, and had to get rig of them immediately because they wouldn't hold the traction in snow and ice at all.
FJ40's aren't exactly known for low center of gravity stability, so you might consider a wider track, or smaller tires. Suspension flex isn't all it's cracked up to be, so don't get caught up in that, though it sure can help with stability going through the washouts and rock cracks. Some people don't realize how remote things are in colorado and that cell phones rarely ever work, so focus on reliability :)

Last edited:
Since my wife is living in the San Luis valley do we have to go to the Springs to get our diesels emissions tested? The title is from Montana, registration is Florida. It looks like you have to get it tested prior to getting a CO title? I was hoping that living out in the boonies would exempt us from some of that hoopla. Let alone the 40 that is far from stock... It is running a SBC with aftermarket fuel injection. I can probably lean it out for testing but what a pain.

Sound right?

Colorado Diesel Emission Testing

Bret, only the front range counties of Colorado require Diesel emission testing. Down where you'll be isn't required. Check this site, and find where it sez "click here":

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186648384011

To get a vehicle titled, you'll need the existing title and get a vin# check, pay $$, and you'll be good to go. You also won't need to have your FJ40 tested, only the above, and of course, $$.

Good luck!

That's what I thought, thank you for the confirmation. The Mrs was having a rough day yesterday and that was just the icing on the cake.

Hoping to be up that way sooner than later.

Made it up last night, everything in tow. Setting up my temporary garage stuff and getting everything situated. Only weather (other than wind in TX) was in La Veta. Looking forward to meeting ya'll!

You will see two nice toyota while around Del Norte. My buddy Charlie (toygoose on the forums) lives there and has a metal shop. He has a nice FJC that you'll see parked out in front of their shop on the west end of town, or at the Brewery. His business partner has a sick 80 that you won't miss. Stop by there anytime. They are producing tire mounted gas can/ tool accessories that Redline and Toytec are selling.

I will definitely swing by. Town is too small to miss anyone from what I can tell. Thanks for the heads up.

Sure thing! I let him know you might swing by sometime. I know he's all over the country right now, heading to the Overland Expo in a couple weeks.
That is such a small town, it won't be long till you run into each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom