Looking for Installation Ideas - Dakota Cluster - RTX (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am near Morristown NJ and am really stuck on who is best able (or willing!) to install this on my 78'40. Dakota's dealer suggestions don't really help and the classic shops want the truck for weeks (and 2-4 months out). I am afraid of going to a radio/audio install shop just b/c of the complications that may arise.

The only thing I have now is a 12/9 appointment at a classic restoration shop with no guarantee of how long it will be in-house.

Many thanks, Eric

It really isn't hard with the correct bushing adapters. Are you planning on running gps speedo or using the one that comes in the kit? Couple of us had issues getting the speedo to work. I personally gave up and went with the gps speedo myself.

Do it yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. It really isn't that difficult. @sogncab has a detailed write-up beginning around post 142.

Also, I learned you can special order them with an 80 mph speedo. So if you decide you are not in a rush then that may be a good option so you get a more usable swing out of the speedo

I did mine with a 80mph speedometer and a four thousand rpm tachometer.

Hindsight, I might've done the 100mph sweep like the factory, but I really doubt I'll ever have it moving past, or much past 80mph.

Same with the tach, with a 2F or the R2.8, if I'm pushing past 4k, something more important than looking at a gauge is likely going on.

In either case, you can have both of those in digital form on the center screen

Any thoughts on full unbox to completed installation time on this - even if just an estimate. I know if I take it to a shop around here and Dakota says 2hrs for example - they will double it! Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on full unbox to completed installation time on this - even if just an estimate. I know if I take it to a shop around here and Dakota says 2hrs for example - they will double it! Thanks guys.
I've never installed one, but given you need to install some new sensors and do the wiring for the digital dash, I can't see this being any less than 8hrs if you're proficient and experienced and do things right?

Agree with EWheeler. Of course, some of us are much slower than others but it took me about a day.

I did mine with a 80mph speedometer and a four thousand rpm tachometer.

Hindsight, I might've done the 100mph sweep like the factory, but I really doubt I'll ever have it moving past, or much past 80mph.

Same with the tach, with a 2F or the R2.8, if I'm pushing past 4k, something more important than looking at a gauge is likely going on.

In either case, you can have both of those in digital form on the center screen
Only way my 40 would ever see close to 80 mph is on the back of a flatbed or trailer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom