looking for inputs on tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let's keep the thread on the tech issues and off of the politics.

I just bought some km3s 315 75 r16. I like them better than the Mickey Thompson mpz. The main reason I got them is because they stock them in Moab.

FWIW the STT Pro is one of the worst tires I’ve ever had in the past 20 years of off-roading with an 80.
It’s a shame because it’s a good looking tire. But performance was mediocre at best and the wear was ridiculously bad. Horribly uneven wear (was not from other factors like tire pressure, balance, alignment, suspension etc). They wore so unevenly so quickly that I had them less than a year and had to sell them because I couldn’t stand driving on them anymore. They became so noisy and rough riding because of the wear that they were unbearable, even offroad.

I’ve spoken to some that have had better luck with them but also many with similar experience to mine. Definitely not a tire I would buy again. Heck I wouldn’t even run them again if I got some for free.

I have the same opinion of the 315 Pro's I'm running - I'm religious on rotating but while they've worn well they are louder by the day..... what about the Duratrac's ?? not sure they have a 37's but they ran great on my winter rigs in Maine....

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 10.54.00 AM.png

Have any of you folks run 13.5" 37s with any success? I'm currently running the pretty common 35x12.5s with a 2-3" OME lift and wondering how much molesting I need to consider on my otherwise stock 80 to get 37s to drive just like the current setup which is dialed in.

BTW, Nitto Ridge Grapplers are just a teensy bit noisier than the BFG KO2s. Really pleased with them so far.

Last edited:
... The main reason I got them is because they stock them in Moab.
Learned the lesson to stick to common tire manufacturers and tire sizes quite a while ago; came in handy when I cut a tire down in Moab, 500 miles from home

View attachment 2449049

Have any of you folks run 13.5" 37s with any success? I'm currently running the pretty common 35x12.5s with a 2-3" OME lift and wondering how much molesting I need to consider on my otherwise stock 80 to get 37s to drive just like the current setup which is dialed in.

BTW, Nitto Ridge Grapplers are just a teensy bit noisier than the BFG KO2s. Really pleased with them so far.
I have 37x13.50s

What have you observed as pros/cons? Would love to see some pics of these steamrollers. Thanks!
Pros:
Better clearance under the axles. Trail obstacles that would drag with 35's don't drag as much with 37's.
Good looking size on an 80.
Load Range E = tougher sidewalls
Perfect match for 4.88 gears (which I already had).
Trail capability increase (i.e ledges and large rocks are more easily driven over compared to smaller tires)

Cons:
Diff gearing is more of a "must" with 37s. Stock gears are ok with 35's and more of a "nice to have" than a "must". 4.88 gears are a near identical match for 37's for the feel of stock gearing/tires.
Will require sheetmetal and flare trimming to maintain full suspension travel.
Chromoly front axle shafts should be considered as a needed additional cost. 37's are pushing the limits of stock axle shafts.
Upgrades to steering components should also be considered. (i.e. 105 sector shaft upgrade)
Bigger, heavier tires can decrease braking performance.

Here's a comparison:
Top is 3" lift and 35's
Bottom is 3" lift and 37's
iPhone 80 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

35x12.50
IMG_1731_zpsoyltqqgw by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

37x13.50
IMG_4928 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

What front bumper is that, box rocket?

Any input on Milestar Patagonia tires, I've been wondering about their 38s load range C

I recently bought these in 315’s for my low budget build. Don’t have a lot of miles on them and haven’t wheeled them yet. So far pretty quiet for an aggressive tire although a couple tires took some weight to balance. I’m now looking at giving my T4R to my daughter and DD’ing the 80. If I knew that going in I probably would have spent a little more and chosen the Yokohama’s

I recently bought these in 315’s for my low budget build. Don’t have a lot of miles on them and haven’t wheeled them yet. So far pretty quiet for an aggressive tire although a couple tires took some weight to balance. I’m now looking at giving my T4R to my daughter and DD’ing the 80. If I knew that going in I probably would have spent a little more and chosen the Yokohama’s

I have a set of 35's on my wrangler and they have about 10k miles on them currently. What I like is that they are aggressive and extremely quiet for what they are, I do believe the grip on the snow is not amazing but also not the worse from an MT. I have another friend that has 38's on his wrangler and he is around 20k miles and believes he will only get another 5k or so out of them. Also do not chalk test them to determine your pressure, they are designed to run in the center band and helps keep them quiet. I've rotated them every 5k and set them to the recommended pressure and seems like they are wearing well. I'm getting ready to put a set of tires on the cruiser and will probably go with a AT for my type of driving.

So I’m a huge fan of the maxxis rzrs. I got them at the beginning of the year and have put about 10k miles on them. I was pleasantly supprised on how well they did with a couple inches of snow on the road and they grip HARD on rocks. I’m sitting out 6000 lbs and even at 15 lbs of pressure they work really well offroad. I honestly don’t have any complaints about them, their getting a little louder as they wear but that’s kinda par for the course. And my roommate had the milestar pategonias, he really regrets getting them. He says that their hard to keep a line with, they kind slosh downhill. He had 2 sets of wildpeak at3ws and he said that those were better in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom