Looking for input on tow rig search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've started to keep an eye out for diesel tow rig, and could use some opinions to help focus the search. I wouldn't be using the truck all that often, something to tow a cruiser to events on a car hauler, haul construction materials from time to time and serve as a back-up work truck if it's 4x4.

I'm thinking either a 12 valve Cummins or a 7.3 PowerStroke.

On the Cummins side is the 94-98 the best bet? They are one-wire mechanical, correct? The P-7100 inline IP is considered a step up from the VE rotary? I had my eye on a 99 24 valve for sale, but reading up about the Brazil cast "53" blocks kind of turned me off, and I understand the VP44 pumps are prone to crapping out.

On the Ford side, I'm not as sure if there is a "best" vintage. Is the 93/94 turboed IDI a good engine? It was still mechanically controlled? Does the HEUI system make the PowerStrokes any less dependable? Is the lack of an intercooler on the 94-98 PS an issue if you aren't hauling huge loads?

Auto vs. manual?
Dually vs. not?
Rear hitch vs. gooseneck/5th wheel?
Any reason an Excursion or heavy van wouldn't be as good as a pickup (other than the obvious lack of box and ruling out a gooseneck/5th wheel).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Curtis.

Sure is hard to beat either a 1999-2003 7.3 or a 24 valve. Both have their benefits.

Fords definately have a better cab ( rear doors, and option for a 4dr. Way better HEAT!!!!!, better headlights,controls ) this may seem irrelevant but anyone who has fought with brutal dodge heat,crap lights would understand. The 4R100 is a much better auto than the dodge. The ZF std tranny is very solid aswell

On the downside the HeUi can cause issues later on

Heat! Yah, that's a good thing. Just drove home from Winnipeg, bloody cold out.

Part of me likes the idea of a simpler full mechanical drive train so I cold swap it into 60's pickup a few years down the road. But the smarter part of me says go for a newer/more comfortable truck, there are enough things I should get to without adding a tow rig project to the list.

I'd even look at a newer common rail cummins. The trannies aren't the best but so long as tuning isn't cranked they seem to hold up. They also can be made to be bullet proof with some heavy duty parts. An 04 manual would be my pick. I'd go dually. I'd go crew can. Less emission junk on the early ones. Lots of power and a decent interior.

If you are going to register it in manitoba do not go dually. There is a lot of hoops with registrys and yearly inspections even if it is a personal vehicle.

2003/2005 dodge would be the way to go if possible. Otherwise a 99-03 7.3 would be good.

When ya need an inspection or parts go see my cousin in Neepawa. He will set you up.

I'll be looking to use him when it comes time for the Pig to get inspected. What was the shop he works at again?

The directional driller on our rig has a 2003 (I think, common rail anyway) Ram 3500 4x4 that hasn't been tricked out at all from what I can tell. I should chat with him some, I think he was mentioning it might be time to look for a new truck. When did they start bringing in after treatment for emissions? 2007?

Ty, what do you like about the dually? More stable towing?

[
Auto vs. manual?
Dually vs. not?
Rear hitch vs. gooseneck/5th wheel?
Any reason an Excursion or heavy van wouldn't be as good as a pickup (other than the obvious lack of box and ruling out a gooseneck/5th wheel).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Curtis.[/QUOTE]

Auto for towing - Manual is cool, but the autos are nice and relaxing for the highway..... I am by no way saying autos are more reliable however.... depends on brand and gen

Why go dually? unless you're planning on loading a lot more than your wheeling rig.

Bumperpull is great if you want to use the box of the truck at the same time (which will always happen), otherwise the others will tow smoother (Won't notice the weight shifting as much)

Why not get an Excursion?? Because you want a box. Trust me. With 4 kids I'm still tempted to get a crewcab just so I can have a box again..... Something to throw anything in, including garbage which isn't nice to throw INSIDE your vehicle.
But they drive awesome on the highway and are basic trucks.

Found one :)
2003 F250 with a 7.3 and a 6 speed manual. Should be bringing it home Wednesday.
IMG_00000039.jpg

IMG_00000039.jpg

Pic from best angle. Much of the facade is fairly new courtesy of a moose. ;)

That is wicked. Congrats man. I think you'll be very happy with it.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

It will need a name. I'm thinking "F-word" or Chromeo.

Once it's through out of province and on the road, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a car hauler in time for Moab. :grinpimp:

IMG_00000038.jpg

It will need a name. I'm thinking "F-word" or Chromeo.

Once it's through out of province and on the road, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a car hauler in time for Moab. :grinpimp:

I dig Chromeo.

That's a nice looking rig. Post your mileage when you figure it out. If I remember our old f-350 it was in the 23-25 mpg range. Same year .

23 mpg would be nice. My 62 gets 15 mpg on a really good day :lol:

Thanks guys (and Charla).

Looks good, just missing some chrome plastic covers on the mirrors

Oh an good choice on a Ford

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom