looking for info or pics for toyota 3B block/sleeves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello guys!
I live in Haiti, I've been out the country for a couple of years for studies and back now... ok so my welcome back surprise was my dad's landcruiser BJ70 and a messed up 3B engine, that was supposed to get rebuit when i left, still isn't finished , so he got screwed basicly and after replacing sleeves and pistons for 3 times, some shop now says the sleeves on this block aren't supposed to be flush with the block deck... is that true?? and if possible does any of u guys have a pic of the 3B block where I can see the sleeves?
THANK YOU

I dont have any pics but the 3B manual shows it protruding above the block and gives a measurement of 0.01- 0.10mm .

Please send me your e-mail, I'll send you some pic's

tnorris@softcom.net

only pic i have cant really see how far it sticks up.
IMG_1338.jpg

Ridge Protrusion: 0.01 - 0.10 mm ( 0.0004 - 0.0039 in. )

i dont mean to try and contradict what the manual says, but mine were easily a couple mm above, do you think this might be 0.01-0.1mm above the head gasket not above the surface of the block. mine may have migrated upwards somehow and have been out of spec, i seem to remember the head gasket sitting around the liner, not flush to the inside edge of the cylinders.

i dont mean to try and contradict what the manual says, but mine were easily a couple mm above, do you think this might be 0.01-0.1mm above the head gasket not above the surface of the block. mine may have migrated upwards somehow and have been out of spec, i seem to remember the head gasket sitting around the liner, not flush to the inside edge of the cylinders.

Nope 0.01-0.10mm above the block. I think the protrusion would have to be small so the head gasket is still thicker when the head bolts are torqued down.

Sometimes the top of a block is machined and you are probably supposed to have the liners ground down to suit.
Manual does say to measure the protrusion accurately with a dial gauge;)

Thanks alot gang for the info... sorry for latency,,,, you've been a great help
THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!

that does makes sense rosco! But any ideas how mine got that way.? That 3b had a problems and i found a decent low km one for about the price of a rebuild kit, so i swapped it in and parted out the old block in the picture.

AHHH Haiti! Tough place to get an engine build done. From my observations when I was there a good mechanic seems to be as rare as rocking horse manure and most that claim to be mechanics use the cold chisel and hammer as their tool of choice. The Cruiser is soooo at home there though...

well to be accurate MAC, it's a tough placxe to get anything done!
another question, does the sleeves from the 3B have an inner ridge on the top??? cuz the other pics I C are quite small or for a different engine...
thnx

by the way where do u get 3B parts from on the net, can't find anything!!

http://www.4wheelauto.com/ carries diesel rebuild parts for your 3B, but i believe there are quite a few other sources, i think there are a few in OZ.

i dont believe there is an inner lip at the top of the sleeve, but apparently the sleeve can develop one over its lifetime, through wear.

Just finished a complete rebuild on my 3B and most of the parts came from engineaustralia.com. No complaints so far but I'm only 100 miles into the break in.

Geoff Walsh in Aus is a good source. If your looking for used parts give a holler to us boys in Canada and we'll hunt stuff down for you. We're a tad closer to you over Aus.
Man I'd love to get back to Haiti someday- it's a wild place. The last time I went down I had a suitcase full of parts for a friend's HJ61. I had more parts than clothes!

I think most Diesel engine sleeves/liner has a 2 step liner , 1st step is for the gasket to sit in & the top step act's like an O-ringed block & press's directly against the head , alot of gaskets Now have the metal O-ring in the actual gasket & most head gaskets now are multiple layered gaskets ,

The early head gaskets were purelly made of Copper that was annealed & a sealing compound was applied to that both faces to help seal ( like they still do with hi-po drag cars )

My 2c's worth

Done lots of gas head gaskets in my time never a diesel. But in this case, it would make sence to have it above the deck as it prevents the head gasket from getting crushed to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom