Looking for info about BJ70 and 74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll start with the fact that I'm new to the forum, so be gentle. I have been looking lately for some good information about diesel landcruisers. I live in Cleveland and have previously owned an 79' FJ40. I sold it to go to school, schools done and now I'm looking into maybe a BJ70, but as I searched for them I found that there are all kinds of Landcruiser models out there that I have never seen. So I have a couple questions, 1. whats the difference between the BJ 70 and 74 besides the LHD vs RHD 2. is there a county where the BJ 74 came with LHD, and if there is can you import to US from that country. 3. can anyone recommend a honest cruiser shop near the Niagra border of Canada that I could have take a look at a truck from Canada for me.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Brandon

The BJ70 was a limited import by Toyota into Canada in the 80s, and is a naturally aspirated 3B diesel (3.4L inline 4 cyl) with a hardtop and short wheelbase. These models were fairly spartan, never having AC or any power options.

The BJ74 is in the same series of Cruisers, but has the turbo direct injected 13B-T engine (3.4L TDI inline 4 cyl) with a removable FRP roof and a medium wheelbase. These Cruisers were about a foot longer in wheelbase than their BJ70 cousins. Unlike the BJ70, the BJ74 were never available in North America. Most of the ones seen in Canada, including mine, were brought over from Japan...although there are a few found in Europe, the Middle East, and some in Australia. Unlike their spartan cousins, the BJ74 often came loaded with desirable options like Cable Locking Axles, Full Floater rear ends, AC, PTO or Electric Winches; and incidental creature comforts like PW, PL, and PM.

Look under the FAQ sticky thread on top of this board, and click on the link "Everything I Learned About Importing". Read all the good information there, and you will find that it is VERY VERY hard to get one of these BJ74s into the USA. There are very few people who have figured out to do it, but you will often find them tight lipped about their methods. The BJ70 on the other hand is easily importable into the US since it was intended as a North American vehicle. The easiest way of doing this would be to find a good Registered Importer to help you.

Both of these models are getting more rare to find, simply due to their limited numbers and attrition. There were only less than 700 units (I think) of the BJ 70 ever imported into Canada, and specimen with "little rust" (by Canadian standards) are getting harder to find. Imported vehicles into Canada have to be 15 years old or older in order to go through a less rigorous safety inspection...and we are getting to the tail end of the production year (15 years ago) of the BJ74. Since demand for these units have been high in Canada, and even longer from places like Australia, the good specimen from this model have long ago been bought and exported. There are still a few good ones occassionally popping up in auction, but most of them seem to have higher mileage than what was widely available even a couple of years ago.

HTH.

thanks

I appreciate all the info, what kind of price are the clean BJ74s going for in Canada? Is there anybody in the Niagra Falls area that imports them? I would really like to drive one.

just keep you eye out for a while, it will prolly take a while to find one that you are looking for, make sure you bring a magnet and look for bondo if it isn't the orginal paint.

where about are you located?

case2005 said:
I appreciate all the info, what kind of price are the clean BJ74s going for in Canada? Is there anybody in the Niagra Falls area that imports them? I would really like to drive one.

No easy to get BJ74 into US, however 70 series from Canada are pretty easy. I calculate there are about 50 85-87 Canadian spec 70 series in the US today. Usually one or two for sale. I have 3 from Canada in my collection.

Cheers,

Michael
http://westcoastcruisers.org

case2005 said:

I would check out luxury imports (wayne - "crushers" on here) that would be my personal recomendation. http://www.luxuryimports.ca/index.php

Cheers,

Michael

Ask Ishobi on this forum, His name is Louis, he's importing land-cruisers from Japan and he's in Ontario.
He might be able to help you!

thanks for the recomendation Michael,

Ishobi has a couple coming in (one that is supposed to be very clean) and i think he is keeping one of them for himself.

We recently opened a branch in Ontario with a gent that really knows cruisers and diesels.

the down side:
you can not legaly have a BJ74 in the states.

cheers and good luck in your hunting.

Eric,
to respond to your last question, I'm in Cleveland Ohio.
Thanks everybody for your comments. Ive got an email out to your guy in Ontaria Wayne, Mike is his name right? Another question for the group, I have heard that there are some 75 series trucks in Canada, mostly brought in for mining. I was wondering if these are importable to the US. The reason I ask is I have a friend who buys and sells mining equipment and could possibly get ahold of one.

yes, mike is the name of the contact in Ontario...

the mine trucks were brought in ONLY for mining purposes...safe answer is nope...

now if you were to change a few things and register it as a home built
(or US equivilant) or owned a farm or logging company or was to "green tag" it then that would be a different story...
cheers

Wayne, if you have a second could you explain "changing a few things....., or green tag"
thanks

My first 2 BJ74's will be leaving on July 10th I'm told. I will be bringing in the 2 cruisers and most likely listing both of them shortly after they arrive. One is in very good condition, and the other has a couple of spots of rust and a cracked windshield, neither concern me and I will probably keep it for a while as I love cruisers. I am just in the process of buying more cruisers now, I'll be bringing in an HZJ73, HJ61, and a couple of others to be determined.

I'll be making my website public in the near future.

Regards

Louis
Adventure Auto Imports
Ottawa, Canada

I can't wait to bring one of these in.

Last edited:
lshobie said:
I can't wait to bring one of these in.

What the heck is that? :confused:

Not even the mines in the States can import(for mining purposes) the 79 land cruisers. This I know.

Only Canadian mines are running these trucks. To get a used one across the line you prolly have to cut the frame. But hey its all reweldable.

Dave said:
PZJ77 or HZJ77.

Junk.

GASP, gassers should be against the law!

Ha ha ha.

Diesel's rock.

I was joking.

I think my jokes are better in person.

In fact I am damned funny most of the time.

Tom, what gasser? PZJ77 is a 5 cylinder diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom