Looking for help with Build Sequence // 2000 LC Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So just picked up a 2000 100 series with 233K miles last week, and need some help with sorting out build priorities. The build will primarily be for overland and some light rock crawling in the Sierra's (Rubicon on the list, but I honestly don't even know what that looks like).

IMG_0645.jpeg

My initial plan was to start with overlanding items like bumpers, rock sliders, winch, etc, however on Friday I got some used 285/75/16 BF KM2's put on, and while the wheels were off I noticed some issues that I think are probably higher priority than that.

Issues I noticed:
CV boots have been leaking/spraying quite a bit of grease
- The mechanic at the shop said that I likely need to replace them
Most bushings look like they need a replacement
- Stabilizer bar bushings are the worst
Grease on the passenger side brake dust cover
- Also a ring of grease on the rotor
Oil on Rear Differential (might have been leaking at some point)

Based on this I doubt that the previous owner has done the 200K maintenance, so I probably have some other stuff to replace/repair as well.

What I'm struggling with right now is figuring what I need to take care of immediately, and what I can put off later.

Here's what I eventually want to do this season:

Change Differential Fluid
Change Transmission Fluid
Change Oil
Replace Stabilizer Bushings
Replace all Ball Joints
Replace Control Arm Bushings (won't need to do this if I get a lift with new control arms)
2.5 Inch Lift
Replace CVs with CVJ CVs
Replace Rear Passenger Axle Seal
Rock Sliders
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Winch

I'd love to do it all at once, but don't really have the funds for that right now. For the immediate future I'd like to just get out there and take the truck mudding/crawling and just have fun with it. I actually had plans to take it out this weekend, but decided not to as I was concerned about what I found on Friday.

My questions for the great people here are:

What sequence would you start tackling this list in?
Can I run the truck off-road without replacing the CVs or does that need to be taken care of right away?
How high on the priority list should the busted axle seal be?
What am I missing from this list?

Leaky CV boots:
57983814961__AD0F11A8-3BDA-42A2-85B7-F5167A0A6FD3.jpeg
57983812125__ED4760B9-8ADA-4C51-8429-9B88745B5004.jpeg

More pics of the truck:
IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

I'll get some pics of the 285's on it as soon as it stops raining.

Thanks in advance.

Bay area hollaaaaa

Fix broken stuff. CVs and axle seals. You can wheel it anyway but why? Youre gonna need bigger tires for the rubicon. Enjoy

Dude, Rubicon isn't going to be friendly to your new 100 series. I would not bring a 100 there unless its fully armored, triple locked, and on 34s

Yeah not going to do the Rubicon yet, probably shouldn't have said that in the post. I'm mainly targeting doing overlanding trips and mild rock crawling for this season and probably the next. Rubicon would be an eventual goal.

All that said, am I chill to wheel this a bit before I get the CV and axle seal sorted? I want to do that work myself so that I can learn, but don't have the space right now because I live in SF. Also if I get CVs from CVJ, should I opt for the longer ones since I'll eventually be lifting the truck or will those not fit if I'm not lifted.

Welcome to another NorCal member! If the CVs aren’t clicking I’d go the reboot route, much cheaper and OEM axles are always more reliable.

You could probably hit up some easy trails without too much issue...take your time and baseline the rig as you go! That’s the route I’m going with mine anyway

Thanks man, definitely nice to see some other Bay Area/NorCal members here. Anyone interested in helping a noob out with replacing some CVs and a rear seal bearing haha

LOVE that blue. sweet 100. she looks like she's in great shape- fix what's broken and get some tires!

Awesome truck. Never knew they made navy blue in 2000. What is the build date?

My daughters 99 is navy

Always

Baseline
Tires
Sliders
Lift

Or buy built

Baseline to make it reliable and to become familiar with it. Overlanding trips are a lot less fun when you're broke down.

-Baseline
-Tires
-Armor (at least sliders)
-Suspension (based on intended weights and accessories)

Awesome truck. Never knew they made navy blue in 2000. What is the build date?

Not sure what the build date is but pretty sure the dealer was right since it doesn't have the rear locker and does have ATRAC.

Here's a pic of the truck on 285/75/16 BFG KM2s

What I'm doing:
1) run as is (stock) to find vehicle specific limitations & think ('course fix any problem area/delayed maintain)
2) weigh my expo configure (camping gear, toys, etc)
3) determine probable (vs wish) accessories (armor, etc) & est weight.
4) determine what kind of driving/trails I will be doing (note hwy will probably be 70% in USA)
5) pick/buy/install suspension based on above (bare min would be shocks)
6) spend $

Reactions: KTP
Not sure what the build date is but pretty sure the dealer was right since it doesn't have the rear locker and does have ATRAC.

Here's a pic of the truck on 285/75/16 BFG KM2s

View attachment 1980705
Looking good. And learn new LC stuff everyday! Thank you.

congrats on your purchase. What do you mean by a "season" :hmm: I take my 100 on trips all year long. Like others have said your 1st priority is baseline and preventive maintenance. Ex: fluids, brakes, cv axles, battery, stuff like that.

I'd save the lift for last, bumpers right before that. For now, tackle maintenance. My CVs have been sligning grease for over 10k miles. It's hard to tell when they're going to fail. I'm planning on brand new OEM parts, so I don't mind if I let mine go until they click/fail. If you want to rebuild, then prioritize that fix to reduce wear on the CVs.

With 33" tires, sliders and the factory rear locker you can do most trails anywhere (definitely not Rubicon, lol). The lift and bumpers can be done at once and complement each other. That'll be a hefty bill (~$6k for the typical parts if you do all labor).

Thanks guys. Seems like there's a definite consensus in baselining before doing anything else, so going to take care of that before I start spending on anything else.

Drove the LC this morning and I don't hear clicking from the CVs so I think I can just reboot them for now. I think one of my main first steps aside from the rear axle seal is replacing the sway bar bushings in the front and rear. Since I'm eventually going to be getting a lift, should I get the extended links from trail tailor, and is it safe to run those before actually do the lift? The two sets are about the price as buying OEM bushing replacements from ranma21 on ebay.

congrats on your purchase. What do you mean by a "season" :hmm: I take my 100 on trips all year long. Like others have said your 1st priority is baseline and preventive maintenance. Ex: fluids, brakes, cv axles, battery, stuff like that.

I usually spend the Winter snowboarding, so I was considering the summer and fall months as my overlanding season. I do want to do a snow camping trip tho.

Thanks guys. Seems like there's a definite consensus in baselining before doing anything else, so going to take care of that before I start spending on anything else.

Drove the LC this morning and I don't hear clicking from the CVs so I think I can just reboot them for now. I think one of my main first steps aside from the rear axle seal is replacing the sway bar bushings in the front and rear. Since I'm eventually going to be getting a lift, should I get the extended links from trail tailor, and is it safe to run those before actually do the lift? The two sets are about the price as buying OEM bushing replacements from ranma21 on ebay.

I usually spend the Winter snowboarding, so I was considering the summer and fall months as my overlanding season. I do want to do a snow camping trip tho.

I would assume you would drive your cruiser to go snowboarding? Are you doing the work yourself or do you have a reliable and knowledgeable shop to help you?

I would assume you would drive your cruiser to go snowboarding? Are you doing the work yourself or do you have a reliable and knowledgeable shop to help you?

I'd probably continue to use my family's old 02 Sequoia for this. I'm keeping that rig relatively stock so I'll have more seats in it and will probably get slightly better MPG.

Still undecided on who is going to do the work. I'd definitely like to do it so that I can learn, but I don't have the space right now as I live in the city and don't have a garage. Does anyone have any reputable shops in the SF Bay Area that I could reach out to?

After baselining..

1. tires and wheels or just tires
2. lift
3. sliders

Tires are done for now. Trying to weigh refurbing the OEM suspension or just going for the lift right now. Depending on the lift that I went for, I'd potentially remove the need to do replace the stabilizer bushings and the UCA ball joints which is a couple hundred dollars.

If you do lift..get it with the UCA's. That's one thing I wish I would've just included in the suspension department. I can't lift mine as much as I want because the caster can't be adjusted. I went with the OME instead of icon/king because I don't really think a reservoir is needed because I'm not traveling fast over bumps for long periods of time.

Reactions: KTP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom