Looking for guidance to replacement the drive flange with hopes to solving D to R clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some guidance and possibly exact part numbers for those who have done the job before. I am not the most mechanically inclined so I’d like not to screw this up haha. If there is already a write up for this sort of thing please comment below, thank you!!

For ‘99 Land Cruiser with 196k miles

A few simple inspections can confirm hub flange to axle clunk.

Hub flange R&R alone will help. But typically the front driver shaft (AKA CV) outer axle splines are also worn.

New hub flange

Hub flange new (6) 06LC 196K.JPG

Hub flange new (5) 06LC 196K.jpg
Hub flange teeth/splines worn excessively.
Hub flange teeth worn.jpg

Hub flange Failing (2).JPG

Hub flange bad.JPG

New FDS (AKA CV)
a (8).JPG

New FDS outer axle teeth/splines and snap ring groove.
FDS axle new.JPG

FDS Axle and hub flange new back side
FDS axle & hub flange new.JPG

Worn out FDS splines/teeth and groove, from improper wheel bearing service.
FDS 04LC 210K bad axle snap ring goove DS.JPG

FDS 04LC 210K bad axle snap ring goove DSc.jpg

Looking for some guidance and possibly exact part numbers for those who have done the job before. I am not the most mechanically inclined so I’d like not to screw this up haha. If there is already a write up for this sort of thing please comment below, thank you!!

Extremely straight forward job, but have you checked to see if the splines on your drive flanges are actually worn? Better bang for the buck for me was diff support bushings.

Frt Diff bushing or bushings (most often just front bushing) may indeed need R&R. But they easily fool us during inspection in most. Whereas hub flange inspection is 100% conclusive. Sometime both diff and hubs need service. But we chase clunk, if Hub flange/Axle not first address. Now I have seen some (diff bushing) that are total gone. Those for sure replace them ASAP.

Clunk minor. Here it seems front diff front bushing the culprit. It wasn't! Watch FDS (CV) in background.

Here's new diff bushing just installed. (Also rack bushings)

Sorry for not answering you PN# ? first. But as you can see, what is clunking, first needs addressing. Deeper understanding & inspection is key!

Sorry for not answering you PN# ? first. But as you can see, what is clunking, first needs addressing. Deeper understanding & inspection is key!

I tried all except a brand new front diff, still have the clunk but not as bad as before. Installed OEM flanges, OEM brand new CV's, front diff bushings still it is present. For the same reason, I bought my new Tacoma in manual. Automatic's will always give a clunk when shifting from P to R ot N to D. Only way to minimize the clunk is to wait for the engine to warm up so the RPM is low when engaging the gears.

The play is now inside the spider gears and CV splines. Also some backlash on ring and pinion gear.

Last edited:
Mine was reduced greatly with new flange and CV. Still does it though. Mine NEVER does it if the center diff is locked.

It was a little embrassing at first, but now mine sounds like a s***box anyway with the lunchbox locker in the rear diff so I gave up hahahaha.

43421-60060 Front drive flange

My CV replacements were Cardone HD's because I am a dirty peasant

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom