Looking for FJ80 series Mechanic North Carolina (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! A guy named Ryan with Otramm in Virginia told me about this thread. I am looking for a mechanic to work on my 1994 FJ80 land cruiser. I'm in Conover NC about an hour from Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. I don't want any regular mechanic. I want someone who knows what they are doing with these landcruisers. I've already been through a 1.5 year ordeal with a mechanic who said he could do a knuckle rebuild, and after a few months, leaks started. This mechanic did the work twice and knuckles still leak, abs light on, and brake light on. The same mechanic also did the brakes. It's been a nightmare. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

H&H in Charlotte. Dean Mandrapillias

Both options ^^ are great options.

Don't know much about H & H. If @Roxx says they're good, then they must be. Marshall @Trollhole is a really great option.

Best to find someone who will take the time to check the axle shaft wear (at the oil seal) to make sure the gear oil can't find a way past the oil seal. That may be your culprit if the knuckles are leaking after the rebuild.

Yeah the axle shaft is what I’m thinking might be wrong too. Do you know if the inner axle can be so worn it is not repairable? I’ve seen on videos where the inner axle seal can be recessed deeper in the axle past the wear point. I hope it’s not too bad.

Not that he's local to you, but your original post mentioned Ryan at @OTRAMM. He's worked on two of my trucks for multiple jobs (one was an engine rebuild) and many that I know. He and Crash know what they're doing, for damn sure. So do Marshall and @IcutYourCruiser at @Trollhole. I have no experience with H&H, but, again, if @Roxx likes them...

Front axle rebuilds shouldn't be too hard for any type of shop to get right unless something else is going on inside, like @Green Hell Mustang says. Hell, I'm doing my next one by myself in my driveway and I'm kinda stupid about these things.

Yeah the axle shaft is what I’m thinking might be wrong too. Do you know if the inner axle can be so worn it is not repairable? I’ve seen on videos where the inner axle seal can be recessed deeper in the axle past the wear point. I hope it’s not too bad.

Yes the inner axle can have a groove worn by the oil seal to a point where it will not seal. Some folks used to do a jb weld schmear or speedi sleeve to level but you are right on the preferred method of over or under driving the seal to rest on a new portion of the axle.

Available from @NLXTACY

Just a couple minor points ... first is the extra care needed when sliding in the axle so-as to not damage the new seal. The other is to double check the diff breather to be sure expansion due to heat isn't building pressure in the diff.

While this job is somewhat messy and takes some time (half a day for both sides), it is still only a :banana::banana: job and one you can pull off yourself with few special tools required.

This would be an excellent opportunity to work on your own vehicle and rebuild the knuckles yourself. Most of us are DIY'ers and will tackle any job from drive shafts, knuckles, regearing, PHH, and even headgasket replacement. If you learn to do the knuckle job yourself, not only will you save money, the next time it happens you will be able to jump right in a fix it.

If are you not mechanically inclined or do have the tools or space, that is completely understandable and others have already mentioned some fantastic resources that can help you out.

Just a couple minor points ... first is the extra care needed when sliding in the axle so-as to not damage the new seal. The other is to double check the diff breather to be sure expansion due to heat isn't building pressure in the diff.

While this job is somewhat messy and takes some time (half a day for both sides), it is still only a :banana::banana: job and one you can pull off yourself with few special tools required.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the shop I took it to damaged the inner seal area by not taking the care necessary to remove and reinstall the birfields. The leak that is occurring now is something totally different than what I had before they did the work. After the job, there was literally gear oil/moly grease on the outside wheel and tire!

more kudos for Dean; Helped me with Harrop E-lockers, 5.29 regear, 4” slee lift; you might have to book him in advance tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom