Looking for FJ 60 knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a set of FJ60 knuckles to put on my FJ40 for a up grade....

Scott

I assume if I find a set of 60 knuckles all I need is knuckles and steering arms from the 60?
Not sure what I am getting into...

If some one has some small bolt pattern fj40 steering arms they want to sell while I am hashing this out I would buy them.... Would like 2 passenger side arms and 1 driver... Or 2... Don't matter just want spares in case this happens again 600 miles away......

Thanks
Scott

And I believe mini truck knuckles will work as well.....

I welcome advice from anyone...

Thanks
Scott

I'll dig thru my pile of junk for the small pattern arms I had. If I find them you can have them.

You are correct. Knuckles and arms are all you need. Everything else will bolt up.

I thought I had some and went looking but I remembered I sold them with a spare set of knuckles I had.

Yes mini truck or 60 stuff will work. Might try searching local salvage yards for mini truck stuff.

Theoretically you're going to need to recenter the new knuckles to your axle housing using the rare and expensive knuckle centering tool. However, I've heard of guys running Marlin Crawlers heavy duty inner axle seal instead of recentering and having no issues with gear oil leaking into the knuckles. I recentered when I did my swap by finding a guy in the main 40 forum nice enough to let me rent his.

Try to make sure whatever route you go that the knuckles come with all of the hardware. I pieced mine together and found out the hard way that things like nuts, washers, and cone washers are not cheap when you have to buy them new.

This is the thread I used for my conversion. Very informative.

Minitruck Front Axle Disc Brake Conversion For Dummies (FAQ)

I've got some stock mini truck steering arms you're welcome to 'em.

Knuckle re centering... I am guessing that is what the shims are for?

I will see if I can google a image of this tool.....

Thank you all for the input...

Scott

I've never used the tool. Just stack a thick and thin shim on the top cap and bottom cap (the factory configuration), and check the preload. It's been right nearly every time. The 2 mini truck conversions on 40 axles I've done were this way.

Stock mini truck or 60 arms will work fine. If you use mini truck, you will have to cut the J-arm off of the driver side. No big deal.

The steering arms will dictate which TRE's you need. The holes are different depending on the application. Honestly, this might be a good time to switch it to heim joints. Stronger, but not so street friendly (so I've heard). You could use heim joints, tube adapters, and some DOM and make your own stronger tie rod and drag link.

As for the 6 shooter knuckles, I don't think you can use them in a spring under setup. No one makes steering arms with a downward angle.

Yes that is where you come up with shim thickness for each side. The tool is still available I believe, but it's pretty expensive for someone like us that will only use it once.

Mini truck arms will have a larger taper for your tie rod ends. I searched around and found that $OR sells some shims you can press into them so that you can use stock 40 ends if you desire. That's what I did. You could also switch to 80 ends which have the larger taper and go to a beefier tie rod like Josh said.

Ahh, forgot about the "starter bushing" trick to run 40 TRE's in the mini truck arms. That's what I did on the two I converted.

I want to say the steering arms from a 79-83 40 will work as well.... I read that somewhere

Scott - do you need some dust shields? I did the eliminator rings on my 60 knuckles and have these laying around.

IMG_8662.JPG
IMG_8663.JPG

That's a great question... Probably if the 40 dust shields won't work????

Anyone know??

Scott

Why put the dust shields back on? I know that the shield serves as a spacer of sorts so on JT's and Jrobs we just cut out the round part (bolts go thru) and used what was left for the spacer. 74HogGuy used the eliminator kit for this reason. If you're just gonna wheel it with limited time on the road then I'd do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom