Looking for explanation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone explain why my FJ40 has round rear wheel wells? I had not really noticed that mine does not look like all of the other Cruisers I see. This cruiser has thrown me many oddball challenges during the build. Thanks in advance for the help.

7E7ED639-4B60-475A-A5C7-3D10D150C974.jpeg

5C134450-7286-4E33-8E51-C172662EADC0.jpeg

3A9A1F23-D856-47C7-8A46-6F3874C797A2.jpeg

Stock wheel and tire size are tucked inside the wheel well. When springs compress because of the shackles the axle moves up and back. These wheel well were cut so larger wheel tire combo do not run the body. My 68 currently has larger wheels and 31X19.50X15". Tires are barely inside the body and wheel well flange has slight bend from wheel rubbing. Most just just enlarge the wheel well with the flat top verses the round jeep style. Toyota gave up the round wheel when the FJ40 started in 1961. Jeep was slow to follow Toyota's design. I would not have round wheel wells on a FJ40 because reminds many of a jeep.

Perhaps the Previous owner had them cut professionally. A good metal person could make the cut and make a lip to look original. Maybe someone put an FJ25 tub on .

Sorry that is not stock. The FJ40 never had a round rear wheel wells. Someone may have done very nice body work. For all you know a PO may have cut these off a wrecked jeep and grafted them in.

originally thinking it might be a 25 series then looked again
definitely not a 25
that is a bad custom job,
it is not smooth in the arch

Looking closer,it seems obvious where the cut started and ended. Also the radius really does not match where the cuts begin and end.

IMHO, I don't know how you can say it is a bad job, the spot welds for the inner fender wells have to limit the height of the arc and thus not allow for a true round radius. It's not stock, but it serves its intended purpose.

originally thinking it might be a 25 series then looked again
definitely not a 25
that is a bad custom job,
it is not smooth in the arch

The rear part of the tub behind the wheel well is shorter on the FJ25. It ends at the top of the rear frame member so does not curve up in the back like the FJ40 for tail lights.

Was this cut only noted after bodywork and paint job ? Reason is it looks real good now and if you are not particular about purism, then I would leave it go.

Was this cut only noted after bodywork and paint job ? Reason is it looks real good now and if you are not particular about purism, then I would leave it go.
This is my first Cruiser. I am on intense learning curve. I did not realize till after I shot the paint. I’ve come this far and want it to be right. I’m sure it will ding me on resale if I leave it.

are both sides the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom