Looking for class 4/5 trailer hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can’t seem to find a class 4 or class 5 trailer hitch for my 80 series, I’m wanting to pull a travel trailer with a tongue weight of about 700lbs and a class 3 hitch isn’t rated for that. I’ll be using helper air bags in my OME springs

I know you have the power to pull it but I don't think the rest of the 80 is up to that much tongue weight.

Most Class 3 can handle 700#. Shop around. BUT if that is 10% -15% of gross trailer weight, you have the wrong tow rig. 80s are not designed to tow more than their own weight. They CAN, but it will not maintain control when things go wrong. If you are just doing a one time job to move a trailer locally, yea, not too bad. But if this is a family camper you want to tow on a regular basis, I would not do it. I have pulled 4000# of rock on the highway and that's a lot like work. I am currently window shopping for a camper in the 3000# ballpark so I can drive it all around the western U S.

Most Class 3 can handle 700#. Shop around. BUT if that is 10% -15% of gross trailer weight, you have the wrong tow rig. 80s are not designed to tow more than their own weight. They CAN, but it will not maintain control when things go wrong. If you are just doing a one time job to move a trailer locally, yea, not too bad. But if this is a family camper you want to tow on a regular basis, I would not do it. I have pulled 4000# of rock on the highway and that's a lot like work. I am currently window shopping for a camper in the 3000# ballpark so I can drive it all around the western U S.
When you say a lot of work for #4000 what do you mean? Hard to keep on the road? Do you have airbags on the back for level the truck?

When you say a lot of work for #4000 what do you mean? Hard to keep on the road? Do you have airbags on the back for level the truck?
I am running 37s over 4.88 gears which results in stock gearing. I do have the TRD supercharger which probably nets around 40 Hp. It pulled OK on flat ground, but big hills took a downshift or two. Sudden stops and quick turns require full attention, and panic stops are really scarey. I really can't imagine towing more than the weight < 6000 # > of my cruiser around Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom