Looking for an air tight container for holding oils (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
If anybody has an airtight solution to contain motor, gear, ATF fluids at the left side of their cargo drawer system, please let me see them. Right now I'm using a 50 caliber ammo can which has been perfect for many years but wouldn't mind finding a shorter height solution. I tried a shallower ammo can but it doesn't handle a typical quart of oil.

This container needs to be airtight so that if I do have a spill I will not be smelling it. As we all know, geared oil smell penetrates everything. I also don't simply want to leave the oil cans in this open style on top of the carpet for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your input.

20200514_112325.jpg

20200514_112331.jpg

Seeing the title, I came in here to suggest ammo cans. They're great, but you know that. I usually find something else to take up the extra space, like rags (never have too many), tree saver, spare gloves, electrical crimp connection kit, spare wire, etc.

The passenger rear quarter has done good containing all my spare fluids.
B9B9C1D6-AA99-4157-8F42-A3D5496AB7F6.jpeg
28A3EA51-3A4B-492D-92F7-C1B674DCD909.jpeg
9F9676B1-90FB-47E9-842D-705C9F4F7D20.jpeg

I used to use a recycled Costco peanut butter stuffed pretzel container. Screw top lid. Big enough to fit an oil bottle in. Not air tight, but you could make a rtv gasket if needed to seal it.
I've seen the plastic jugs new for sale at Walmart and Dollar stores too. I will see if I can find a generic picture

large_18820dd0-67ca-4de0-be4d-e1907b932b65.jpeg

Not sure if the dimensions have changed or not though since it's been a good while since I've been to Costco

Seeing the title, I came in here to suggest ammo cans. They're great, but you know that. I usually find something else to take up the extra space, like rags (never have too many), tree saver, spare gloves, electrical crimp connection kit, spare wire, etc.

I am on a constant battle with rodent invasion so soft things like rags, straps, gloves, etc will be chewed through. The electrical and related stuff in ammo cans living inside the drawers. I am tempted to cut down my tall 50cal ammo to the correct height but that feels kinda sacrilege!

1589720382175.png
1589720530428.png

I am on a constant battle with rodent invasion so soft things like rags, straps, gloves, etc will be chewed through. The electrical and related stuff in ammo cans living inside the drawers. I am tempted to cut down my tall 50cal ammo to the correct height but that feels kinda sacrilege!
I was suggesting you could fill the extra space in the ammo cans with rags and such.

They do make shorter ammo cans. The one you've got is a monster. Here's a few I have, the one on the left is the typical garden variety size you can find anywhere. Caliber means very little, as that smallest one is often labelled .50 cal. The one in the middle is the same size but taller, and the one on the right is also wider. Go find yourself a proper military surplus dealer.

ammo cans.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Spike, that helps a ton. I'll go to my local surplus center once they open back up.

The knockoff Nalgene bottles work well for carrying fluids if you're concerned the original container might rupture. Thats how @jcardona1 does it anyway...

Personally I stopped carrying gear oil for this reason and Ill just put engine oil in the diff if I need to get myself off the trail. I suppose one could carry a GL4 fluid instead of GL5, as most GL4s dont have that sulfur gear oil smell, but they have less EP additives so Id still change it out once off the trail.

This is good info, thank you sir. I'm not worried about rupture, more like leftover fluids on the tops of the bottles after using some. After working on a project on the trail, I can toss all used rags inside this airtight container until I get home. My radiator fluid is kept inside the original container in the space where the factory jack used to reside. That thing spills all over but it's inside the fender so I don't care about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom