Looking for Aftermarket A/C recommendations, modified thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my A/C under dash unit is missing the 2 right rectangular vents. Any chance someone might have some extra ones, or know if there's a direct replacement?

fj40 w soft top Center Console Rt section view.jpg

Last edited:
my A/C under dash unit is missing the 2 right rectangular vents. Any chance someone might have some extra ones, or know if there's a direct replacement?

View attachment 2295321

That looks like a Customatic aftermarket A/C. Looks like the on installed on our new 1978. It also appears the same as the one in our 1982 that was installed by the original owner in 1983. The unit was made in Ft. Worth, TX. They supplied aftermarket A/C units for many make for years. I remember seeing other units by them that used the same vents. Some junkyard sleuthing might turn up what you are looking for.

DSC03652small.jpg

This A/C unit has been a pain. Didn't work, got it working. Started leaking water in pax. compartment, added rust stains to floor board. Even added insulation to lines to prevent condensation.
So I'm considering 2 options: Nostalgic AC parts new evaporator, $280 ish or Vintage Air Gen 4, $850 ish.
Nostalgic is an underdash similar to the one I have, but has NO heat vents which allows me to keep the original heater unit. Vintage Air I believe has both heat and cool which would require the original heater unit to be removed. I've invested more money then I wanted, but this was the only thing my wife asked me to have in the FJ40 for her.
Anyone have Nostalgic? Anyone have Vintage? Any do overs, do's or don'ts, etc. Please let me know and thanks in advance and best wishes.

AC leaking.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom