Looking for advice on shock absorbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
My FJ40 lives on a dirt driveway. That could be the extent of its senior off-road years. It may have a 2” lift but I have not measured anything yet. I guess I’m looking for more street driving and control over rock climbing, muddy rut passages and all of the “fun stuff”. Of course, there may be a trip or two pop up but that’s an oddity. You guys have had some great suggestions with my other questions so I will put this question out there. Smooth helps these 69 year old joints but then you could argue…”what are you doing in an FJ40?” Besides, this is no longer the “garden state”. There’s more concrete and asphalt than you could ever believe.

but when you love something, you put up with a little abuse….😂

I believe that a leaf sprung setup can be quite comfortable. In fact I find that some modern suv vehicles are so stiff in their dampening to adhance cornering that it is no pleasure at all to drive them on all but the smoothest surfaces. Can't advise you on any particular shocks but a soft dampening especially on the compression stroke would make the ride nice if you are not planning to go fast. Sure there will be some guys here who know exactly which shock you should get.
Good to keep the 40 !

I’m running Bilsteins on my 40 and Dobinsons IMS on my 80. Bilsteins have been fine and IMO were an upgrade to the OME’s I had before. Dobinsons are fantastic on my 80 and they are available for a 40 up to 2” of lift, if I had a do over I’d spring for them on the $40

Well, I see the days of $29.95 shock absorbers are gone….i Have some thinking to do and see where this plan is going. These must be remarkable at $550.00 for just the front. I would imagine I would spring (no pun intended) for $500 for the entire front and rear. But as I mentioned, I love driving the land cruiser but it’s off-road days and mine, have gone the way of the $29.95 Monroe shocks….

@ knuckle47
Did you check here?

I’m running Bilsteins on my 40 and Dobinsons IMS on my 80. Bilsteins have been fine and IMO were an upgrade to the OME’s I had before. Dobinsons are fantastic on my 80 and they are available for a 40 up to 2” of lift, if I had a do over I’d spring for them on the $40

Bilstien. Come drive mine.
Bilstein = High Cotton.👍👈😁

Take a look at Rancho RS9000 XL. Instead of having to settle for one setting these give you 9. When things change you can adjust them. Soft when you want it soft or firm when you want it firm or anywhere in between.

I had what looked to be oem fronts and Monroe rears………. No doubt the Dobinsons are great but for me, the Bilstiein 5100’s were a significant improvement!
:cheers:

Take a look at Rancho RS9000 XL. Instead of having to settle for one setting these give you 9. When things change you can adjust them. Soft when you want it soft or firm when you want it firm or anywhere in between.
I've been running these on my truck for about 15 years now, the only issue I have is the knob is prone to rusting in place. It was definitely nice to be able to adjust for having my truck camper in the bed or without.

I had what looked to be oem fronts and Monroe rears………. No doubt the Dobinsons are great but for me, the Bilstiein 5100’s were a significant improvement!
:cheers:

+The XL's. Fox and Dobinsons are (All) excellent bits of kit. I'm just saying, given @knuckle47 description of his intended terrain, driving environment and 69yr old spinal column, the Bilstein 5100's are an outstanding option. Not to mention for the discerning TLC owner, with a Mrs who watches the Platinum card, they won't break the bank.

@knuckle47 description of his intended terrain, driving environment and 69yr old spinal column, the Bilstein 5100's are an outstanding option. Not to mention for the discerning TLC owner, with a Mrs who watches the Platinum card, they won't break the bank.”

I think you’ve just about nailed it @Chungas Revenge . The days of beating my self up are nearly done. I try to take The FJ40 to the supermarket, Harbor Freight, and places around the area locally with the eventual car club meet at the local huge parking lot. Love it.. on the other hand …some days that Silverado heated and cooled seat cushion wins me over easily. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to do the best for my land cruiser… I just have to moderate the abuse it hands me. That power steering has made a big difference now that it’s secure and solid.

the shock recommendations will be equally appreciated….it’s between the Bilsteins and the Rancho most likely.

let me add this: I’m not totally old and decrepit yet and I am still working on my cars but I get pooped out quickly and the last 18 months have seemed to mount up quickly. I HAD heard this for DECADES but, DO IT ALL WHILE YOU CAN ! You’ll never know if you‘ll get that chance again.

I sincerely thank you all for the excellent guidance

dimensions currently center Eye to center Eye on level ground
front 15 1/2”
rear 18”

Last edited:
I run these with a 2.5 inch lift. Ordered from summit

Screenshot_20220612-162745_Email.jpg

@graham5david if I am at 15.5” sitting on the front, and 18” on the rear, how much of a free compression movement is required in order to not bottom out the shock?

The measurements fully extended and collapsed are on there. Measure eye to eye on your current setup and that should give you an idea. They have longer and shorter options in the same series as well.

Yes those numbers are center of the top and bottom eye… thing that 3” is plenty but that’s only speculation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom