Looking for advice on offline maps with GPS positioning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle.

As the title states, I am looking for an offline maps solution where I can track where I and where I have traveled. I am currently looking at using Google Earth on my laptop (Win7) with pre-cached locations and a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Reciever.

I am going with Earth primarily because I can see the terrain and also save waypoints before and during the trip.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions/concerns on a better setup or would like to share what you use?

Sincerely,
-Nameo0

I use Avenza Maps on my Android. They have registered (i.e. to GPS) a large selection of USGS topos and National Forests MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Maps). By registered, I mean that the Avenza app will show a blue dot at the right place on the map when you're driving around.

Avenza map store doesn't charge for most of the USGS and NF maps. They charge for more detailed maps that show images and terrain, nice to have that option when regular USGS and NF maps dont' have enough details (a rare situation for me). You can also export waypoints and tracks into KML files from Avenza Maps but I've never done this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom