Looking for advice on buying this Lexus GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw this car in my neighborhood and decided to leave a note asking if they’d be interested in selling the car, long story short, I get a call today, I find out the car has 65,000 miles!!! Previously owned by this persons grandfather, the ideal purchase. My worry is that the rust and other areas may be not worth picking it up. I’m in Florida so I don’t have much experience with rust, let me know what I’ve found
72F770AB-26B5-4D31-8E9E-B5A90257F967.jpeg
F1ECCBF4-1BA1-4F7A-9195-447232A6549F.jpeg
8FD0E800-EE87-4EEA-B89B-DF770611B660.jpeg

Not much to go on here. What year? What maintenance records? What price? Hows the tires? Is the windshield cracked? We need more information to answer your questions.
From what you have showed us you have a cracked dash and some rust. But those areas are not the deal breaker for me. 65k is low for any year. I would say timing belt, water pump, radiator, battery and suspension upgrade is a must. That rig has been setting alot.

I would run this VIN through the Lexus Drivers site and look at its entire reported history... That does not look like a Florida car, probably from the NE. How's the rust underneath, wheel wells and the frame rails up front? Is the steering and suspension tight? Engine strong or tired? With 65k miles I seriously doubt the timing/water pump was done so it is imperative you do that absolutely immediately if you buy it. Just remember rubber ages even when sitting so just because it only has 65k miles doesn't mean that timing belt isn't cracked and worn to s***.

I would run this VIN through the Lexus Drivers site and look at its entire reported history... That does not look like a Florida car, probably from the NE. How's the rust underneath, wheel wells and the frame rails up front? Is the steering and suspension tight? Engine strong or tired? With 65k miles I seriously doubt the timing/water pump was done so it is imperative you do that absolutely immediately if you buy it. Just remember rubber ages even when sitting so just because it only has 65k miles doesn't mean that timing belt isn't cracked and worn to s***.
Good point, I’m taking another look at it tomorrow with a buddy, I’ll post some more pictures as soon as I can. It’s an 07, the engine feels strong. I didn’t know what to look for with the steering, but I’ll push it lock to lock. It defini doesn’t seem like a Florida car with the front rust, I’m wondering if it’s worth my time. Thanks for the response!

Not much to go on here. What year? What maintenance records? What price? Hows the tires? Is the windshield cracked? We need more information to answer your questions.
From what you have showed us you have a cracked dash and some rust. But those areas are not the deal breaker for me. 65k is low for any year. I would say timing belt, water pump, radiator, battery and suspension upgrade is a must. That rig has been setting alot.
Hey, sorry I should have been more thorough. It’s an 07. The windshield is fine, but the dash is cracked. From what I looked into, Lexus has recalled the dash in this model and will reimburse the cost of repair. I’m worried it may have been a flooded vehicle, going to check it out with a buddy tomorrow to look into what’s under that front skid plate. Biggest considerations so far is the paint, frame/ball joint rust, timing belt, and dash. I’d be looking to upgrade the suspension in the near future as wel. We haven’t really talked price much, I’m thinking to offer 6.5k if I think I could repair what’s there.

My understanding is that the dash recall is over with. No more assistance from Lexus.
I could certainly be wrong, however...good luck and let us know.

Last edited:
Low miles but it looks like its been stored outside or saw some time up north, probably a snowbird vehicle?
Check out the frame, specifically where all the suspension and body mounts are, if you want to upgrade the suspension, you can be prepared for how much grinding/cutting you'll need to do haha.
Oh, dash recall is done, 10 year limit there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom