Looking for a partner shop on a roof rack/basket design. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

I am looking for a partner shop on a roof rack design I have cooked up in my brain.

I have an ARB 4900040 full length alloy roof basket that no kit is currently made for to put on a 100.

What I would like to start: Accurate CAD models of the mounting points on the roof, ideally in 3D, but a dimensioned 2D drawing could be made to work. Second best would be a solid model or dimensioned drawings of a full length bolt on roof rack for the 100 series.

What I would be making: Full length rails to replace the existing roof racks en total and allow mounting of a readily available full size roof basket.

What I will provide to the partner shop:
  • CAD model and dimensioned drawing of an ARB 4900040 alloy roof basket
  • 3D models and/or dimensioned drawings of the roof rails - universal versions that could be drilled to fit any roof rack or mounting system and custom fit versions for the ARB roof basket.
  • Full BOM with any spacers or hardware required to install.
  • Status reports, detailed photos, and a write-up here on Mud
My background:
Mechanical engineer specializing in reverse engineering and equipment upgrades/modernization
Proficient in Solidworks including sheet metal features
Proficient in manufacturing methods suitable for this application.
Loves holding hands and long walks on the beach.

Anyone interested? Reply here or message me.

Thanks! I have that drawing, but since it is in 2D it is only sort of usable. I want to make my roof rails mirror the curvature of the roof. Sure - I can have my roof scanned and figure it out, but if someone else has the hard work done already and wants to trade some data for some engineering and prototyping, that would be ideal.

I've been thinking of making a 80/20 rack system, similar to Front Runner and few others out there using extruded alum tubes. Your ARB basket project seems very similar.

If you keep it simple, you will need these from the truck Roof Channel Towers — Gamiviti

From there make an adapter plate to fit the ARB basket you have to the gamiviti 2hole mounting points. Not needed if you got this far, but from the Gamivit bracket, you can reverse them make 3d files from there to figure out the curvature of the roof.

Unless you're making side rails to look like the Prinsu system, the arc of the roof is overkill and very expensive to make one offs.

Upside of the Prinsu style is to make it as low profile as possible, but you have a basket already. I'm assuming you want to the sides to look like this? https://prinsudesignstudio.com/product/t4r5-prinsu-roofrack-full-no-drill/

Perhaps might work for you...

image.png

Rhino-Rack Backbone Mounting System for Pioneer Platform - Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series Rhino Rack

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Couple things I would like to be considered.

As far as making a curved rail to follow the profile of the roof, from the actual manufacturing end, that's no problem. We make parts like that all day long, the tabs to mount to the holes in the roof could be formed, welded on, or bolted on. I was thinking of welding them on because if I have to take some guesses, I can bolt the tabs in place and then locate the rails on the roof how I want them and weld them off.

The full length ARB basket won't work with the Gamiviti style mounts on a 100 series, the mounting locations on the basket do not match up to the mounting locations on the roof. A guy could make flat adapter plates to mount the Gamiviti brackets to the ARB rack, but that would add thickness to the assembly and reduce strength.

I emailed Bowfin as I would love to share ideas to make these rails but never heard back. If they are interested I would love to talk further.

Rhino Rack rails are too short, the basket I have is full length and the Rhino Rack ones are 3/4 length.

The Prinsu/Bowfin would be what I would be looking to design to.

Rhino Rack rails are too short, the basket I have is full length and the Rhino Rack ones are 3/4 length.
They specify for use with their 84" rack... so more like 7/8 length? But, yeah, ideally, you'd use the mounts forward of the B Pillar.

image.png

The ARB basket is 86" long - so pretty comparable to the Rhino Rack. I do want to use the forward mounts both for strength and aesthetics. Rhino Rack has way too much overhang on the front in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom