Looking for a paint shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 FJ that I am rebuilding/restoring that my grandfather bought new off the lot.

I need a small amount of body work done and then the whole thing repainted back to original (Coronado Beige with white top).

I am looking for paint shop recommendations, preferably a shop that is familiar with FJ40 and how to paint them.

I am in Midland, TX but have no problem trailering it somewhere.

here are pics as it sat when I got it home from the barn and as it sits as of last weekend.

tlc2.jpg

tlc1.jpg

Back when I lived in Midland (30+ years ago), there were some very good Mexican-owned and run body shops on or near Industrial Ave. Have no idea if they're still there or not; sorry - but you might look/ask around there.

Back when I lived in Midland (30+ years ago), there were some very good Mexican-owned and run body shops on or near Industrial Ave. Have no idea if they're still there or not; sorry - but you might look/ask around there.
Yeah, still plenty of shops around here, just none that would have any experience with FJ's. Shops out here tend to try and charge a premium for vehicle work (and typically under deliver), even with oil being in a slump. I'm going to shop it around out here but want to run my traps statewide for FJ painting experience.

Yeah, still plenty of shops around here, just none that would have any experience with FJ's. Shops out here tend to try and charge a premium for vehicle work (and typically under deliver), even with oil being in a slump. I'm going to shop it around out here but want to run my traps statewide for FJ painting experience.

I understand. You might be surprised how much experience some of the Mexicans may have though, because of the large number of 40's in Central America. If you're willing to come as far as Fort Worth, I found a Mexican shop there that fixed my 40 body work after I flopped it in a rocky creek in Dark Canyon in southern Utah five years ago. They weren't particularly cheap but they did excellent work - repairs to my rear quarter, door, and hard top were invisible. Here is their web site: Paintless Dent Repair in Fort Worth & Dallas, Texas | Quality Paintless Dent Removal Despite the name, they are a large conventional body shop. Talk to the owner, Gil Hernandez, he knows Cruisers. They had at least one other 40 in the shop that I could see their work on, before I left mine. They also do good upholstery - they repaired one of my original seat covers and it was invisible too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom