Looking for a more comprehensive list of year to year FJ40 differences, pros and cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my quest for increased FJ40 knowledge I've had a real hard time finding differences between the years of FJ40's and the pro's and con's of each year. This is the rough list that I've been using:

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/GOODANDBADFJ40

Problem is that list seems to be extremely vague. I already know I don't want a pre-'74 but I'm trying to figure out more differences between the '75-'78 and the '79-later.

Does such a list exist on the net?

76-up disc brakes
75-up 2f
79-up minitruck birfs

those are most of the high points. other than that it depends on what you are wanting to do

12/78(or 1/79)-7/80, 3.73 gears, square bezel, gas tank under body, thiner sheet metal, small cap fully electonic dizzy, e-brake on floor(EDIT, brake still on t-case) axle. OEM PS and AC were options

8/80+ same as above, but 2f as a fj60, seats move back farther, wider springs, split case(like a 60) speedo goes 999.999.99, different steering wheel, stuff like that, heater under center console(not on back floor) e brake on rear axle(not t-case)

83+ same as above but seperate dash insert(hard to explain without pics)

a FEW US 83's have the non US style front door wing windows.......

few other things,

I think 77 was the last year(US) for the OEM soft top and PTO

No 40's ever came with stock manaul hubs all had drive plates. Aisan/Asco are the only OEM hubs, Warns(or whatever) were dealer/port installed.

thats the short-ish version

Last edited:
joey93turbo said:
I already know I don't want a pre-'74

Just currious why you dont want a pre 74? You might be suprised at what people have put in them, My 71 had a 2f and disk front end, Have a look before you poo poo the older ones...I will add though the 60's FJ40 had a brittle T-case.
Just a thought.
Good luck

Isn't this in the damn FAQ?

:rolleyes:

Get one without rust in it.

Does not matter what year it is.

Then modify it how you want it.

I don't really want a pre-'74 because I don't like how they look as nearly as much, particularly the hard tops. It just seems like it'd be cheaper and easier to find one with everything already updated vs an older one. This isn't the absolute rule though, I'm keeping my eyes open.

Question, why do people like the '79+'s if they have thinner sheet metal and the possibility for power steering and AC? I'd personally have a better built rig than a couple options I could add later. So there are no differences between the '75's and the '78's? (aside from 12/78 FJ's)

Poser: You'd think it would be, but I can't seem to find it, can you?

It was mentioned a couple times to aussie boy that runs it, but I guess it did not take...

Adding power steering and air conditioning will get costly, no matter if you do it yourself or not...

I looked and looked and it seemed to me 78 was the best year for what I wanted.

So I got a 78.

And I already have plans to replace just about everything that made the 78 what I wanted.

joey-

Have you read through the link to Birfield.com at the top of this thread?

joey93turbo said:
I don't really want a pre-'74 because I don't like how they look as nearly as much, particularly the hard tops.

WHAT? There might be some good reasons to go with a post-74, but looks, I don't think so. Good luckin your search.

Like anything else, many small things were updated as the 40 series went along. If you want all the updates, get a 83 with power and air. You'll need about 30 grand, for a nice one. If you can find it. The later trucks were much more HIGHWAY friendly. Larger tank, better highway gearing, better weatherstripping, etc. etc. You can look for the holy grail, or you get to build one like most of the rest of us...Mine's an 80, I prefer late model trucks for what I use em for, it's restored, and I wouldn't take it where it would be damaged. My previous truck was a 74V8, restored it, wheeled the sh*t out of it, sold it for 10. You pays yer money....

Landpimp,.

I think they changed the bezel in 1/79 cause my 12/78 has the round one, plus 4.10.

later
Ryan

I don't really want a pre-'74 because I don't like how they look as nearly as much, particularly the hard tops. It just seems like it'd be cheaper and easier to find one with everything already updated vs an older one. This isn't the absolute rule though, I'm keeping my eyes open.

Question, why do people like the '79+'s if they have thinner sheet metal and the possibility for power steering and AC? I'd personally have a better built rig than a couple options I could add later. So there are no differences between the '75's and the '78's? (aside from 12/78 FJ's)

Poser: You'd think it would be, but I can't seem to find it, can you?

IMO I love the look of the 66'-71' years. The tub has the vent for the blower motor only on one side (passenger) and its a bolt on...just looks more military to me. I like the chrome piece on the split hood which went away in 72. I also don't care for Amby doors on 75+ because when you take the top off, like I do ever spring thru fall, you have a hole you need to fill, or let something possibly fall out when you take off. I also like my wing windows on the doors when the top is on. The longer jump seats will actually accomodate two small butts as apposed to just one...in a pinch. I don't care for a dash, it just seems Heepish, my 71' has had its dash removed by a PO, or else I would have done it, the thicker better sheet metal is a plus. Plus like many have pointed out, you can upgrade things without spending a fortune, such as disc's up front, like mine has, a 2F motor...which I want, and on and on. My first one was a 67, almost entirely stock except for the later model hard top with Amby doors, yuck, three on the tree and bench seat, great for my son to sit in the middle and not get hit in the knees with the stick. My current 71' has 3 converted on the floor, which is nice...and still a 3 speed, as far as no syncro's...I discovered that before take off, if I simply put it into 2nd gear first without even letting out the clutch and then quickly into 1st its no problem because every thing is synced. I also really don't care for the square bezel, If I had a 79 or 80+ I would be very tempted to put a round bezel on it...;).
Well enough said, I love all 40's none the less, and 41's,42's, & 45's.

Just own one and love it already!

"I also don't care for Amby doors on 75+ because when you take the top off, like I do ever spring thru fall, you have a hole you need to fill, or let something possibly fall out when you take off" :rolleyes:

This just in: Rear Gates are available, and FJ40's with A/C don't need to take their beautiful tops off.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom