Wanted Looking for a late 70s to early 80s US FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi MUD - Longtime lurker but first time poster. My first car was a Sky Blue '78 FJ40 – not mine in the profile pic, but similar. I drove it daily for a couple of years, but I had to sell it as it couldn't make the 10 hour drive to college. That was 20+ years ago, and now that I'm approaching mid-life crisis age, I'm looking to buy one again.

My budget maxes out in the mid-teens, which I know won't get me anything fancy, but as my mechanical skills are fairly elementary, I'm also not looking for something that needs tons of work. And I'd like to find a US model, no "fixed up" South or Central American imports.

I'm in Atlanta, so ideally would find something within driving distance, but I'm open to travel for the right rig. Thanks all for reading!

Hi all - Bumping this thread, as I'm upping my budget to the high teens. If you have something, let me know!

Search craigslist in major car markets. Higher chances of finding rigs. Check on Bring a Trailer website as well. Stay away from the rust belt areas. AZ, CA, TX, NM, etc usually have better rigs. Check the classified sections here on Mud as well.

If you are not handy, budget accordingly as these rigs need love due to PO neglect.

It’s a blessing and curse to have a rig that is over designed in every way.

I have an rare 82 all US spec 1 owner model I was thinking about passing on. All original including paint, a little rust in the usual areas but just checked out by ACC and currently swapping the bottom end and solving an exhaust leak but certainly a rare find. Ive started the rust touch up and will need paint but it’s all there...Not sure I can drop it to the high teens but maybe we can talk....

E83ADD2D-2C3A-4E8B-8B8D-39912EE40C67.jpeg

601AC90F-8E1D-4A62-BC5B-9100C194786F.jpeg

I have an rare 82 all US spec 1 owner model I was thinking about passing on. All original including paint, a little rust in the usual areas but just checked out by ACC and currently swapping the bottom end and solving an exhaust leak but certainly a rare find. Ive started the rust touch up and will need paint but it’s all there...Not sure I can drop it to the high teens but maybe we can talk....

View attachment 1985980

View attachment 1985981

Hi @Boonedock40 - I'm definitely interested and will send you a DM. Thanks!

Hi MUD - Longtime lurker but first time poster. My first car was a Sky Blue '78 FJ40 – not mine in the profile pic, but similar. I drove it daily for a couple of years, but I had to sell it as it couldn't make the 10 hour drive to college. That was 20+ years ago, and now that I'm approaching mid-life crisis age, I'm looking to buy one again.

My budget maxes out in the mid-teens, which I know won't get me anything fancy, but as my mechanical skills are fairly elementary, I'm also not looking for something that needs tons of work. And I'd like to find a US model, no "fixed up" South or Central American imports.

I'm in Atlanta, so ideally would find something within driving distance, but I'm open to travel for the right rig. Thanks all for reading!
I have a ‘76 that you need to check out. I live in Atlanta and might have exactly what you are looking for. I own several LCs and Yotas. My best friends own ACC and I camp/wheel with them all the time.
If your serious call me. PM sent.

All original.
Hard & Bikini top.
Set of amazing half doors worth $$$
Pro Car Elite Seats
Metal Tech Jackson Cage
Power Steering
Brand New Dobinsons Lift
*This is my baby, built it to keep forever. I am only entertaining on selling if I get close to my asking price, which is very fair given the money and time put into this FJ.

I have the original badges, emblems, lights, top. This FJ has been gone thru, and I have a folder of receipts that I don’t want to even total up, as it would make me ill.
This is a driver, as in get in and roll out. Hit the road and the trails. Very dependable and has the the tasteful modifications that anyone would want.
- Pro-car Elite Seats (a must if you Drive this for longer than a hour)
- LED Light kit (because the oem lights are horrible)
- Metal Tech Roll Cage (because you need to be safe in a convertible)
- Metal Tech Radiator Hoop w/Stinger
- Dashman Dash Box (from the man himself)
- Tuffy Center Console
- Original Warn 8264 Winch (best winch warm made)
- New oem Carb (got to know people To get one of these gems)
- Petronics Ignition Setup
- Saginaw Power Steering
- New Alum Radiator
- New Brakes Setup with Master and Manual Proportioning valve
- New Dobinsons Lift
- 35” BFG KM2 (x5)
- Red Top Optima
- Hi-Lift Jack
- 2F has been gone thru and powder coated by ACC.

Come check it out. You will see the amount of work I have done to it. I am more than willing to take it to ACC and have them vouch for there work.

This one is solid, no bs paint over job to hide issues. This one should be bought by someone who will continue to enjoy and take care of it.
Keep it as is and ride out, or paint it if that’s your thing... and love it forever. This will only be worth more as time goes by.

Last edited:
View attachment 1986864
All original.
Hard & Bikini top.
Set of amazing half doors worth $$$
Pro Car Elite Seats
Metal Tech Jackson Cage
Power Steering
Brand New Dobinsons Lift
*This is my baby, built it to keep forever. I am only entertaining on selling if I get close to my asking price, which is very fair given the money and time put into this FJ.

What are you asking for your rig?

What are you asking for your rig?
Intrested in offers that are in the mid 20k range, would entertain other offers. But I won’t be letting it go for offers in the teens.

This isn’t a need to sell, this is a want to build out a 200 series kinda thing.

Needs a little body work/rear quarters. Very honest truck and I can answer any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom