Wanted Looking for a good 80 series! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All,

I daily drove a 60 series for a long while, until the 2F went boom on the highway one cold winter night...it's gone now and I've been driving *gasp* a Volvo XC wagon for the past 18 months. I find myself depressed driving that mom wagon, so once the inspection sticker expires at the end of summer, I need a reliable daily driver to take me into the winter season. I've studied the market for well over a year and have an understanding of price. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but willing to consider a range of $5,000-$15,000 depending on what you have to offer.

I know everyone is looking for one of these, I get it. My requirements are pretty simple, though might be laughable for some.

1. Looking for White (Unicorn I know) but would consider the grays and blues, also. Green and black don't really do it for me, but I'm willing to look.

2. Hoping to find something with the in the 1995-1997 range. Would prefer to avoid the 3FE. Key is reliability as this is a daily driver.

3. Trying to find a clean body. Hoping to baseline the truck and have it looking mostly stock. Don't want to deal with dents and rust on the body. For work I typically visit nice neighborhoods and homes, it needs to be decent looking to be driven for business. (No Line-X fenders, for example). I would consider adding some accessories like an ARB front winch bumper, but not looking to get crazy. I'm not a body guy and I don't want to deal with paint!

4. RUST...I don't mind rust on the undercarriage! I need to drive this in Maine winters, so it will get covered with salt. I'd hate to drive a truly clean vehicle in the winter, it's the worst thing someone can do. So something from the Northeast is okay, but I'm not looking for crust, just a happy medium. That being said I don't want a rusty tailgate or rockers, but out of sight is acceptable.

5. Lockers? Don't really care about them, sure it would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

6. Perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT of all...I'd like to purchase a truck from another MUD member. In the past I've been burned buying at a distance, but have also found great success. The best experiences I've had are a result of this forum and the amazing folks here. I'd really like to find another diehard cruiser head that is looking to pass on their beloved truck to a good home. I'm not really interested in playing craigslist and eBay games. I don't need a vehicle until the Fall, so I'm putting out a feeler now. I was hoping this might plant the seed for someone looking to upgrade...maybe you're waiting to buy that 200 series and you are afraid to let go of your 80? I bought my 40 from a member here, it was a great transaction and I made a true friend.

I'm willing to look anywhere, really. I've done the 'fly out, drive home' several times so this isn't my first rodeo. I'd love to find something out West and have an adventure driving it home. As a photographer I enjoy the trip just as much as the destination.

Thanks for taking the time to read, if you think you might have something that interests me, please shoot me a PM.

You can also find me on instagram @mainemandan and @mainelycruisers

I've been considering selling mine to pay for school. Green 96 with 196k on it. It's my daily and has been from Bend to Bozeman up to Canada and all around in the past year. Just replaced the brake booster and did the pesky heater hose in the last 1000 miles. Lmk if you want any more info or pictures. I was thinking of listing it in the 14-15k range. Only work id say she needs is a knuckle rebuild thats about $250 in parts. Just had her inspected before i left Montana two weeks ago which is why I did the booster and heater hose. Clean and reliable.

Mine's listed here on 'Mud, if you're interested in the fall. By the bites I've had so far, I may still have it. haha. Hope you find the Unicorn you want, regardless of if you're interested or not.

Hi All,

I daily drove a 60 series for a long while, until the 2F went boom on the highway one cold winter night...it's gone now and I've been driving *gasp* a Volvo XC wagon for the past 18 months. I find myself depressed driving that mom wagon, so once the inspection sticker expires at the end of summer, I need a reliable daily driver to take me into the winter season. I've studied the market for well over a year and have an understanding of price. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but willing to consider a range of $5,000-$15,000 depending on what you have to offer.

I know everyone is looking for one of these, I get it. My requirements are pretty simple, though might be laughable for some.

1. Looking for White (Unicorn I know) but would consider the grays and blues, also. Green and black don't really do it for me, but I'm willing to look.

2. Hoping to find something with the in the 1995-1997 range. Would prefer to avoid the 3FE. Key is reliability as this is a daily driver.

3. Trying to find a clean body. Hoping to baseline the truck and have it looking mostly stock. Don't want to deal with dents and rust on the body. For work I typically visit nice neighborhoods and homes, it needs to be decent looking to be driven for business. (No Line-X fenders, for example). I would consider adding some accessories like an ARB front winch bumper, but not looking to get crazy. I'm not a body guy and I don't want to deal with paint!

4. RUST...I don't mind rust on the undercarriage! I need to drive this in Maine winters, so it will get covered with salt. I'd hate to drive a truly clean vehicle in the winter, it's the worst thing someone can do. So something from the Northeast is okay, but I'm not looking for crust, just a happy medium. That being said I don't want a rusty tailgate or rockers, but out of sight is acceptable.

5. Lockers? Don't really care about them, sure it would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

6. Perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT of all...I'd like to purchase a truck from another MUD member. In the past I've been burned buying at a distance, but have also found great success. The best experiences I've had are a result of this forum and the amazing folks here. I'd really like to find another diehard cruiser head that is looking to pass on their beloved truck to a good home. I'm not really interested in playing craigslist and eBay games. I don't need a vehicle until the Fall, so I'm putting out a feeler now. I was hoping this might plant the seed for someone looking to upgrade...maybe you're waiting to buy that 200 series and you are afraid to let go of your 80? I bought my 40 from a member here, it was a great transaction and I made a true friend.

I'm willing to look anywhere, really. I've done the 'fly out, drive home' several times so this isn't my first rodeo. I'd love to find something out West and have an adventure driving it home. As a photographer I enjoy the trip just as much as the destination.

Thanks for taking the time to read, if you think you might have something that interests me, please shoot me a PM.

I am a longtime owner of a 1996 FJ80 that I have restored and am planning on selling in the near future. My ask price will be higher than what you list in your message, however this is truly a one of a kind car. I plan to list this car on this site (and a few others) in the near future. I live in the Bay Area (CA)

Bump for July 1st

I completely forgot about this post, definitely time to update...I ended up shifting gears slightly. Wanted to modernize the fleet so I bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-road, and a 2017 LC200.

Do still want an 80 someday, absolutely. But I should be good for a while. My next cruiser related goal is to buy back my former FJ40 from another mud member.

Word to the wise, I’m about to have a major garage sale in the classifieds section soon!

Don’t worry, I got the long bed! And I’m building it 😂

F04C8E8B-375B-4882-B25E-A89F6C3AB249.jpeg

Its funny how everyone wants to avoid the 3FE. IMO, the 3FE is more reliable than the 1FZ-FE. Do a search on here, almost over 30% of the 1fe-fe have had head gasket failed between 150-200k miles. Don't believe in everything internet has to say. I am glad i didn't believe the hype and jump on the 1FZ-FE bandwagon years ago when i was looking. cheers.

Hi All,

I have a perfect totally redone 1997 ANV; call me if you want to chat 214-673-7960

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom