looking for 80 series driveline diagnosis in/near Chicago (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a shop or someone who knows them well enough to hear something and tell me what might be causing the noise...also, with knowledge of what the typical weak points are on a 1994 fzj...and so forth...any leads would be appreciated...

I'd listen to it and give you my opinion, but I'm 2 hours south in CU.

Maybe you can tell us more about what's going on? Did it start suddenly? Comes and goes or continuous? Any idea of where it generally comes from? Big tires (>33")?

It's usually not the transfer case. U-joints and yokes are usually straightforward, drop the suspect shaft and lock the VC, it either goes away or it doesn't after two tries, then you look elsewhere.

Most likely candidate is something to do with front wheel bearings or birfs, mostly because they're subject to human error.

I would call Chi Town 4x4. They have a master Toyota tech there and work on Land Cruisers.

thanks for the replies...greentruck, it is a noise that sounds like a rusty freight train axle turning in a rusty bearing...it has that "big" vibrating sound that "rings" the whole vehicle...suspension, frame...stuff like that...it sounds like it is coming from the front of the drive train...not brakes (that I've ever heard in my experience)...i've only had the truck for a couple of months and it started suddenly on a left hand turn and went on for a few seconds as it started I thought I had run over a rock and was scraping the frame along it, but I was on a flat city street...then from that point on, it has only occured on take-off from a light or stop sign...now, it sounds, like a quarter turn of that "big rusty axle"...then it goes away...never on a rolling start or acceleration...only from that weight shift that happens on take off from a stop.
thanks josey1972, if no one has any "aha, I know" thoughts, I'll check them out...thanks

Likely low on knuckle grease.

Caliper bolts may have fallen out and scraping a rim.

Check brake calipers immediately!

BILT4ME has a good point. Check the two bolts that hold each caliper to the axle. Your description suggests that could be the source.The fact that you only notice the problem upon take-off is another thing pointing in that direction. Once you release the brake, the caliper just sits there even if it's lose. But releasing the brake will cause a loose caliper to shift, maybe even squawk.

The top caliper bolt is pretty obvious, the lower one is buried under the brakeline, etc but easy to find on the backside of the caliper. Torque value is 90 ft-lbs.

Can you jack up the truck and spin the wheels by hand to replicate the noise?

I'll second @Chitown4x4 Where are you located? If your far NW suburbs like Mchenry County I could likely swing out and take a peak this week too.

Hmmm, probably good that it's not the caliper bolts.

Next thing, is the truck lifted at all? Is it possible that the driveshaft comes in contact briefly with something up front as you turn? Can you reproduce the sound driving around in a parking lot, let's say, where it's flat? How about turning when the axle has to articulate due to changes in elevation?

More moly certainly is a good thing. I was thinking similarly, but then there was this from the OP:

"...from that point on, it has only occured on take-off from a light or stop sign...now, it sounds, like a quarter turn of that "big rusty axle"...then it goes away...never on a rolling start or acceleration...only from that weight shift that happens on take off from a stop."

That made me wonder if there's like half a lift kit or something under that has the driveshaft clanging on something, which that initial weight transfer as described might cause to contact but in straight ahead motion rather than a turn. No lift here, but I've seen pics of how the geometry changes in the relationship between the driveshaft and the other elements of the front axle change and what's done to compensate for it to avoid interfering with the tie rod. Like maybe it was caster corrected, then someone swapped the coils back to stock or ???

Beyond looking it over with an eye to whether everything looks stockish or maybe shows signs of the suspension having been worked on or has any odd steering habits, I can't suggest much more on that.

I have a 6 inch lift, and nothing was necessary to avoid interference with any suspension part. Unnecessary caster correction would only put more distance between things.

Start with the simple things. Check the grease.

Dug around to refresh my memory on what I was referring to. It's the sway bar that can be the issue not the tie rod. This is an example:
OME lift install question...

Purely for reference. Been dealing with headaches someone else left to be discovered down the road myself. This sounds similar in that regard.

Have you been under the rig as of yet, done the basics like check diff fluid/knuckle grease, given a good shot of grease to all 4 universals, etc?

Or are we all just playing "mystery noise bingo" yet?

I ask as I was all prepared to go crazy mid-winter when I picked up a HORRID sound (scraping & loose metal sound) - only to find I'd picked up 1/2 of a shredded cable chain sitting on top my RR axle & barely touching the driveline.

It happened ~50miles from home & sounded like rolling death & deep $$$- I hit a turnoff & immediately swung under prepared for hell & carnage, just to see real quick what it was & pull it out.

Had that weird feeling of lucky & stupid all at once.
Total cost - cold & wet kneecaps/jeans & temporarily freezing my hands.

Point being, it sounded so bad I worked myself up to the point of mentally swearing I was getting a flatbed towtruck ride home & the <1 minute of time on my knees solved the problem, plus lowered my blood pressure.

thanks much for the insights and ideas...work hours have interupted my investigation and indeed will finally crawl underneath to do a serious look-see plus,
weather needs to warm up just a bit more before I can bring myself to crawl around on cold asphalt :) fortunately, I have a second set of wheels so I don't have to risk driving the LC with the issue unknown...will post discoveries for the interested

finally had a chance to crawl under and look around...found 3 loose and one missing steering knuckle studs passenger side...been searching for the actual process of replacing the missing stud here on the forums and have found nothing specific to that...plus, FSM doesnt seem to have anything either...which I'm guessing means I am just not finding it...any suggestions on where to look? thanks for all previous suggestions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom