Looking for 80 and wanted opinions on one that is local. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Better one five blocks from me on a car lot. Way over priced at $12k but still a fair share better deal than this.

Cheers

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just need to defend my 80 :happy:

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just need to defend my 80 :happy:

Ya well I rolled a $30k 80-series in the sand dunes. Didn’t have full coverage, destroyed it and total loss.

Wouldn’t recommend that to anyone.

Cheers

VIN search indicates this vehicle was purchased at auction earlier this year, at about 500(plus) less miles. From what I could find, it appears it was a theft loss, there was front end damage and who knows what else. The buyer (very possibly current seller) paid more than favorable (mud) price. Seller must have been stoked at the deal.
$18,000 salvage-title flip with repaint, the hood is misaligned, they didn't bother to replace missing grab handle screw plugs, it's missing center plastic cover/optional cupholder slot and who knows what else. Yes, I know, but it's listed for near $18k.
As has been noted above they painted over the fender flare gaskets. And this item never fails to puzzle me, especially when a builder spends considerable time and labor on other areas: they didn't even get the "FullTime4WD" emblem back on the right spot. Okay, so it's not the end of the world (did you catch the news today:(
Nice vehicle? Maybe ( haven't seen pics of the undercarriage). Good buy as a salvage vehicle at this price point? Only if the eventual buyer still feels good after close-up inspection and then after the buy has a chance to see what other good, clean-title vehicles he/she could have had for less - and still feels good.
We try to help each other here and I like to think all viewpoints have merit but I adhere to the general consensus this particular vehicle is way over-priced (in today's market;) YMMV

I have a clean rust free unmolested locked 96 for sale in MS. Not close to you, but you can ship to you and buy it cheaper than the trucks your looking at.

@Meckbot Do you mind sharing what is important to you? Are you looking for showroom quality or do you prefer freshly rebuilt engine? reason I ask is you seem to be in the market at a lot of money. No judgement here in that area I think you get more bang for you buck on an 80 than a heep at 20k.

Posting what you would like will get you lots of opinions of course, but someone here will likely know where one meets your requirements. At that much money many people are focusing on finding a dealership so they can get a loan.

if you are looking at a black or white rig they can polish up nice, so just avoiding dents can get you something a weekend away from very nice looking ride. Getting something with quality upper end rebuild and new seals/gaskets/hoses gives you a big headstart. the carpet in most of these things clean up really nice if you remove it and put some work in to it, and lseat can get you some new leather at a good price. Others make much nicer leather but i am trying to save you money.

Personally I enjoy the upgrades and such I've done and i do them my way.. but i realize not everyone is like me and you may prefer to get one that is already setup nice.

Let us know what you like and we will try to help you out.

I would rather find a rig thats basically clean and rust free, scratchs dont bother me but dents are a a bit of a borderline. I prize mechanical maintence history. Im like you, i prefer upgrading my way, although some tasteful upgrades are to be considered on a case by case. This will be a daily, and as I said I plan on an ARB pump, air locking and regearing after an OME or Dolby suspension upgrade if its not done so lockers arent a MUST.

Id put mechanical condition over body and interior, althought I wouldnt mind seats without major rips if possible. Decent wear that is appropriate to age is fine. Its going to be a driver, overlander, camper, and back woods hiking climbing rig.

I messaged the LX450 seller, going to put up my 4runner for sale. As long as I can flip it I could swing the Lx450.

@Meckbot - pass. hard pass.

Esp with the rebuild title. Nope.

We’ve had easily 3-4 better rigs (less miles, clean titles) - on the local CL in the last 6mo. And I’m fussy after 3 80’s and scouting easily 2dzn over time for people.
And all for less $$$ than 210K/rebuild title.

Save your money, don’t even go **just for a look**.

If I was to price my black 134K locked 80 it would be in that range, and I’ve got a clean title & been mine for almost 20yrs.

@Meckbot what you just described can be easily had. So search tempest will help you find if you can do a bit of driving. Mine met your description when i got it but it was 10k less and came with lockers. Are you in a hurry and will this be your only transportation?

I would recommend not focusing on good front seats as you live where seat heaters would be nice and for 60 dollars on amazon they are a great addition.

I agree pass on that truck for $18k. I just sold a built lx450 with 190k and no rust for $18k. I’ve included all of my parts and mods on the one I sold so you can compare. You can find super solid trucks if you look hard!

“1997 lx450 193k bought stock
Harrop lockers front and rear
Harrop dif breather
safari snorkel
Ome lift j springs and extended front shocks
315 ko2
New brakes/ Knuckle job /bearings/ (10,000 miles or So on them)
Dual batteries yellow tops national Luna setup with controller inside cab, slee 2nd battery box and washer reload action
KENWOOD Nav unit with upgraded pioneer speakers
KissSingle drawer rear
Lab rak attic
Arb front bumper
4x4 labs rear with
Arb safari rack
Upgraded power steering cooler and hoses
Slee upgraded headlight hardness direct to battery (we disconnected, but left)
New alternator and starter and radiator plugs wires etc
All hoses and t’s replaced
New tire rod ends
Landcruiser Phil Aux fan installed for cooling ac power steering on switch in cab with auto ac pressure kick on
Warm m12000
Slee side step rock sliders
Arb ipf lights oem fog switch inside
Weather tech front and second row
Blue fan clutch mod
Upper intake pulled cleaned and all new vac lines and valves replaced
Oem cup holder in wasted
Witts end ashtray curling switch adapter
Original window sticker / first aid kit / and manuals in glove box “

I messaged the LX450 seller, going to put up my 4runner for sale. As long as I can flip it I could swing the Lx450.

Hope that works out for you, I thought the LX was a fair deal but I've not personally seen it.

It fits what I want, and it fits what I want for a camper. I hate trailers, but if I can get myself in to a RTT, that makes it for a 100 percent double win for me. Also its set up for everything I want to do with the fridge and everything else.

Thanks for all your guys help, I literally have put my life on the line with armored Series 100-200 Land Cruisers in Aghanistan and have a special affinity for Toyota's. I've owned two so far, and I want to get an 80 series while they are viable and not "classics".

Thanks for all your guys help, I literally have put my life on the line with armored Series 100-200 Land Cruisers in Aghanistan and have a special affinity for Toyota's. I've owned two so far, and I want to get an 80 series while they are viable and not "classics".

They are already way overpriced. Many of us remember 10yrs ago when good 80’s could be found fairly easy and for $5k.

Search the west coast. In CL you can change location. Start with your location, Washington right(?), and move down the coast. Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona and even Texas are the best states to shop in for rust free.

After that Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Colorado but 7 out of 10 will have some kind of rust. You should avoid rust, it kills Cruisers. And if ya got $18k for an 80, you absolutely can afford no rust.

$5-10k for a good 80 is fair depending on condition and miles.

I bought my 93 local here in Boise last January for $4200. Clean title, zero rust anywhere on it and good clean cloth interior. Sure it needed(s) a grand or so spent on the engine, axles done, brakes, ect ect but it is solid and rust free and $14k for fixing it up and upgrades would go a long long ways.

Cheers

Luckily I have an LC mechanic who is a fanatic about these rigs, so I have someone I can help do the heavy lifting maintence and modification wise.

Plan is to transplant a JDM diesel in it.

Luckily I have an LC mechanic who is a fanatic about these rigs, so I have someone I can help do the heavy lifting maintence and modification wise.

Plan is to transplant a JDM diesel in it.

Well, it took me awhile but I eventually found a 1HDT with 475psi compression for $5k. Complete from fan to flywheel. Another $5k and I could have a new H151 and a bling clutch. Few more bucks here and there for shifter stuff, blah blah blah and I could have a LHD converted HDJ80. It adds up though, lift, tires, blah blah and you will hit $25k quick into the Cruiser and I do all my own work. So ya, easy to rack up the $$$ on a Cruiser build.

I get that ya want to buy one built up and ready to roll. Go for it but I highly suggest buying that here on mud from a Cruiserhead. Even if ya got to ship it halfway across the country.

Only one or two Cruisers I ever had did I buy local. Don’t be afraid to travel for the right truck. Have a 3rd party inspection done, Toyota dealership works for that or even a mud member, many here are willing to help and will save you agony.

Good luck, be patient and the right Cruiser will find you! ;)

Cheers

There is a JDM restored and outfitted series 70 for 24k available... its tempting, frankly because its a solid rig and the body style I truly want and diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom