Looking for 40 series expertise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexAZ

NEW???? It's BETTER than new!!!
Threads
A few YEARS ago, outside of Casa Grande I spotted a 40 on the side of the road. I stopped, snapped some pics and left a CSC card on the windshield.

the owner called and said he was having trouble with the fuel pump. got a ride home and came back to tow the cruiser home.

I believe he had just moved from somewhere cold...

Anyway, fast forward 4 years and he sent me a text this morning. Says he is having trouble finding carburetor.
he purchased one that fits the intake manifold, but not the air filter.

i'd love to help, but i do not want to become the intermediary between experts and a not computer savvy cruiser guy that needs a little technical assistance.

if anyone is willing to offer up their contact information that i could pass on to this gentleman i'd help make the connection.

equally, i've asked if i can share his number with the club.

I dont know the year, carb model, or any other information. if i can't get someone to make a direct connection i'll play messenger and get the details.

Patrick
20170510_125618.jpg
20170510_125437.jpg

@Living in the Past is the resident expert. The engine make 1F or 2F or 1.5F, year of the Landcruiser, assuming stock there may be a few options for getting the original carb rebuilt.

Appears to be a 74. Original engine would have a steel valve cover and oil filter on the right side next to the distributor verses attached to the intake manifolds.

Might be a little hard to locate a carburetor. 74 was the first model year since 67 that was controlled by linkage not a cable. 75 was the start of the 2F with it's different style air cleaner. Those tighten with a stud out of the carburetor instead of a clamp around throat of the carburetor. No Carburetor expert with no experience with non OEM carburetors.

I have a carb for a 40 that Mark in Burbank built for the truck that went through Barett Jackson. It has never been used and is still in the box.

The fellow could look at the date code on the original carb he pulled off.

I will take some pics of what I have and post.

Mike

There is a thread from JimC long ago where he explains:

"The format is Y M DD. Y is the last digit of the year (4=1964,1974,1984...), M is a letter of the alphabet corresponding sequentially to the month (A=jan, B=feb,...), and DD is the numeric day of the month."

That means my carb was born on July 18, 1975.

I sent the info to the guy. He said his is a California model. He's offline till this afternoon. I'll try to piece together some details tonight. Thank you for the info.

Here is a link to the photos of the carb I have.
Photos of Carb

View attachment 2641971

Mike if this doesn't work out for this guy I would be interested. I have a 10/75 that I believe is a Federal model. I show the Federal model change 9/75 but the next version is a sub for the 1/75-9/75. So this should work on mine. I also have three earlier cruisers with earlier 2Fs installed.

If you can read the green tag the last five digits for Federal is 61030. California would be 61070.

I'm just getting in line. The guy currently looking could have an engine transplant that uses this carb. Big difference is the 74 will have a wider collar on the top for the air cleaner to clamp to. If he has the original F155 air cleaner without mods it won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom