looking for 1987 22R toyota enthusiasts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having a bear of a time removing the old brake drums off of my little truck...the whole rear end is quite rusted from just sitting in the woods where I found it. However, I know with a little love and lots of elbow grease (thankfully I'm a mechanic too.) I can bring the old gal back to life... She at least starts!!! Thats a plus. But the rear brakes are frozen and like I said, I'm having problems removing the drums. Is there a speciality tool that is not listed in the manual? Has anyone had the same problem?:frown:

I am having a bear of a time removing the old brake drums off of my little truck...the whole rear end is quite rusted from just sitting in the woods where I found it. However, I know with a little love and lots of elbow grease (thankfully I'm a mechanic too.) I can bring the old gal back to life... She at least starts!!! Thats a plus. But the rear brakes are frozen and like I said, I'm having problems removing the drums. Is there a speciality tool that is not listed in the manual? Has anyone had the same problem?:frown:
there is no screw in the front of the drum like land cruiser right? if not :cool: hammer,elbow grease and alot of wd-40.is the e-brake on? or was it on when you found it? things to keep in mind:beer: keep us posted

to add to Jerods 7&8 posts in the link, if you are going to replace the shoes any way, and as a last ditch effort, saturate the shoes as much as possible with penatrant oil from the holes inspection holes.
But most likley it wont requre this, since you are probly rusted at the axle and drum face.
you should thread the lug nuts on for a few thread, to protect from dame when you beat the snot out of it with your big hammer.

there is most likely two other holes with threads in the drum that are for pushing the drum off place bolts in these holes tighten them good and snugg and beat around the drum with a hammer thighting the bolts from time too time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom