Wanted Looking For 1979-83, low miles original owner stock survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
If you are out there and ready to part with your vehicle, I am ready to buy. PM me if you are ready to sell or if you know someone who might. I really don't care to here comments about how impossible it is to find. They are out there. If you don't ask, you don't get.

If you look closely, the rear heater is a bit different. I have a Grey one in a box just in case but this one is different. Like an fj55. The vehicle is a 1/79 production. It is possible the mats are black and the rear heater is different seems like a transition from early to late models. Less confusing than owning a jeepster commando -Buick , AMC, Kaiser, what?

I did notice valve cover painted. I think they tried to freshen up a few things. Gives me something to do to make it right. Should be unpainted aluminum valve cover, correct?

Is that an original color?
Is there a color code on the vin tag?

Looks like a pretty restoration based on the pics. Nice truck.

I had a 79 that came with drive plates instead of locking hubs.
looks like the bumper color matches the valve cover color? unless it is the lighting, both have a gold hue to them
when will you get it?
looks like the smog hoses have been changed out to regular hose

Last edited:
I hope all the smog stuff is there or I am in a pickle when I bring it back to California.

the engine pic is fuzzy, hard to see details, but a WAG is you will need to do some work to get it to pass both visual and sniffer.

Should the valve cover be bare aluminum, unpainted?

yes just bare aluminium.

I may need some help with that. Does anybody know who I should see in the Sacramento area to get the smog correct This is a federal smog emissions vehicle

I may need some help with that. Does anybody know who I should see in the Sacramento area to get the smog correct This is a federal smog emissions vehicle

Georg, valley hybrids would be the guy to see but he is in Stockton.
@orangefj45

79 and 80 fj40 had this black rear heater. I have looked and original photos of the fj40 to confirm. definitely is different from the grey rear heater that I believe was from 73-78.

The black heater is correct. I have a 1/79 as well if you need any pics to compare just let me know. Mines pretty original.
great looking rig btw

Lol good luck with the smog. Just because it looks like it's all there doesn't mean it is or operating correctly...but you might get lucky.

No affiliation

Think this one been for sale over a year. Current CL ad has expired. Remember the first time I seen the ad thinking for the condition it is way over priced. Trying to find parts to bring a LHD 83 back to stock are not easy.
79 or 80?

nice looking rig,
aftermarket a/c, no PS?
interesting it doesn't have side defrost
are the front and rear mats black? should be grey

My 3/79 has gray mats. Being the tub was designed 1/79 which included a different floor mats would think gray would have started 1/79. I have three late 78 cowls. Only one has side window defrost. The 3/79 doesn't have them but a 82 tub I have does. The 79 didn't have a rear heater in it when a friend bought it in 1994. It has sign of a aftermarket A/C so could have been a Southwest vehicle originally. Think side air defrost was part of a cold weather package.

The black heater is correct. I have a 1/79 as well if you need any pics to compare just let me know. Mines pretty original.
great looking rig btw

Been collecting 40 series parts for over forty years. In my collection of rear heaters have one I believe I pulled from a 1980 model back in the nineties. It wasn't pewter or black. It's at another location but want to say it is charcoal gray.

Think this one been for sale over a year. Current CL ad has expired. Remember the first time I seen the ad thinking for the condition it is way over priced. Trying to find parts to bring a LHD 83 back to stock are not easy.

My 3/79 has gray mats. Being the tub was designed 1/79 which included a different floor mats would think gray would have started 1/79. I have three late 78 cowls. Only one has side window defrost. The 3/79 doesn't have them but a 82 tub I have does. The 79 didn't have a rear heater in it when a friend bought it in 1994. It has sign of a aftermarket A/C so could have been a Southwest vehicle originally. Think side air defrost was part of a cold weather package.

Been collecting 40 series parts for over forty years. In my collection of rear heaters have one I believe I pulled from a 1980 model back in the nineties. It wasn't pewter or black. It's at another location but want to say it is charcoal gray.

here is my heater - it’s black and it’s original

FD2F228B-F4EE-484C-8D33-5A5FDAA52AE9.jpeg

here is my heater - it’s black and it’s original

View attachment 2365332

I would have to look at mine to verify it if is charcoal or black. Yours does not look as black as the one posted earlier in the thread. Looks like it was spray painted in gloss blaxk. Bottom of the heater coil appears to have over spray on it. I know mine is not gloss black. Charcoalgray is a dark gray. Very possible mine is the same color and your seeing black while I see a dark gray (I am shade blind to certain colors). I don't remember mine being a shinny black.

Upper black, thanks for your input. It seams 79 and maybe 78 were transition years. My rear heater is Black as well. I just bought the grey from another mudder but is is incorrect for my 79. I will be selling it here on Mud for the same price I bought it for 195.

great looking rig btw
Thank you I don't have it yet, It is coming from Oklahoma to Sacramento. May need some help seeing your engine compartment for smog stuff. This one is federal emissions.

Thank you I don't have it yet, It is coming from Oklahoma to Sacramento. May need some help seeing your engine compartment for smog stuff. This one is federal emissions.
Just let me know. My rig came from cali and still has all the smog crap in tact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom