Looking at Windshield Protection Films (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just went through the hell (and expense) that is having a new windshield replaced on my 98 LX. I'm thinking about having a protection film applied to hopefully give a better chance of resisting new rock chips and breaks.

Anyone have experience with any of the brands? Thoughts on the cost/benefit/usefulness?

Figure I'll update this with my findings..

I got a quote after calling a manufacturer (Matico) and asking for dealers in my area who are actively buying their windshield film (FlexiShield). Most dealers on their 'locator' seem to only use their clear bra products, but they were able to point me to one guy at least.

He quoted $550 and said he hasn't been buying the product much because of the high price and subsequent low demand. And while they make some pre-cut films for specific cars, LC isn't one of them, so it's more effort to install. He said it's a good product, though, and lasts a long time when a specific conditioner is used every 6 months.

If it was a bit less I might do it, but $550 is probably just out of my price range, especially since I went with an aftermarket windshield this time after using OEM the previous time. Anyway, it might be an option for someone out there.

How is the aftermarket doing for you? Since you can compare, would you go for the OEM again? All I hear left and right is: 'Go OEM only!'. I have no pressing need yet, but one never knows...

Thank you

Not worth it in my world since I take on a rock to the windshield just about every winter. Glass insurance is my friend.

I just went through the hell (and expense) that is having a new windshield replaced on my 98 LX. I'm thinking about having a protection film applied to hopefully give a better chance of resisting new rock chips and breaks.

Anyone have experience with any of the brands? Thoughts on the cost/benefit/usefulness?
What good do you think a thin layer of plastic is going to do you? Rocks don’t gauge out the glass when they hit, the force of them creates a fracture that cracks inwards. A “chip” it’s not like a pothole. I can’t see a thin piece of plastic doing much to diminish that rock’s force.

How is the aftermarket doing for you? Since you can compare, would you go for the OEM again? All I hear left and right is: 'Go OEM only!'. I have no pressing need yet, but one never knows...

Thank you

It seems fine so far. Mine's a 98, so I don't know if other years have any features like rain sensors etc that might make a difference. The windshield was something like $165, so there's a pretty long way between that and OEM. I did it once and that just made the bad luck of a crack feel even worse. Other people may have better luck or different finances, but I don't notice any difference other than the color of the shade. I believe that bronze is available, but my guy didn't get it for some reason. That's on me for not verifying before he installed it.

What good do you think a thin layer of plastic is going to do you? Rocks don’t gauge out the glass when they hit, the force of them creates a fracture that cracks inwards. A “chip” it’s not like a pothole. I can’t see a thin piece of plastic doing much to diminish that rock’s force.

It's supposedly some high tech film, but I don't know. I think it could probably help cushion some blows and make a difference between a crack or not in some cases.

Check out Clearplex and Stek window protection films too. I’ve seen it on a few exotic cars and it’s good stuff. Not sure I’d put it on a daily driver because the windshield films do not hold up long term to windshield wiper use. You’ll get trailing at some point. I do PPF for a living and we’ve discussed getting into doing windshields too, but right now I don’t believe in any of the offerings as a long term solution. It’s also why their warranties are a fraction of what you get with paint protection films. Technology ain’t there yet but it’s better than nothing if you absolutely need it. It’s very popular with race cars because track use really destroys your car.

We have installed it on 5 or 6 cars. It's a pain in the ass. We have a Tesla customer that has gone thru about 3 of them...they consistently discolor/spot. I think he actually had a broken windshield with the film....one of the times it was replaced.

I have other guys that use it for track cars that are fully protected with clear bra on the entire front of the car. They will get pretty beat up BUT it's better than a windshield getting beat up, especially on an exotic that has a very expensive windshield. They are wear items....they are replaced when they become too pitted. We just delivered a Lamborghini with a windshield coating on it....it was very clear...not sure what product was used. Again, a full clear bra car that is used for rally type events. When it gets more pitted, it will get changed.

They HAVE to be polished with their supplied product or they will discolor and start to spot....maybe they're degrading....not sure. The Tesla owner polished his, it still got discolored and very hard to see thru. I would suspect that car sits in the sun during the day....but the owner takes care of his cars meticulously....just hard to keep that shield nice. The car is vinyl wrapped and it is in perfect shape. So it's not like it's been abused.

Seems like a great idea, just doesn't seem user friendly or long lasting for MOST people. VERY expensive install too....usually $600-750.

Check out Clearplex and Stek window protection films too. I’ve seen it on a few exotic cars and it’s good stuff. Not sure I’d put it on a daily driver because the windshield films do not hold up long term to windshield wiper use. You’ll get trailing at some point. I do PPF for a living and we’ve discussed getting into doing windshields too, but right now I don’t believe in any of the offerings as a long term solution. It’s also why their warranties are a fraction of what you get with paint protection films. Technology ain’t there yet but it’s better than nothing if you absolutely need it. It’s very popular with race cars because track use really destroys your car.

Windshield wipers for sure kill it.

The timing of this thread is interesting.

My kid’s 2000 TLC currently has a cracked windshield that I need to deal with, and I saw an article yesterday that Jeep was going to be offering “Gorilla Glass” for the Gladiator and Wrangler.

Although there’s probably very little chance that anyone will bother to make these for a low production 14-23 year old vehicle ☹️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom