Looking at this 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do your own wrenching, YES!

If youre paying someone else to do the work, you may not make it as far as a DD for $1000 + $7000.

I do all my own work and threw about $6000 at mine just in parts to make it a DD.

If you do your own wrenching, YES!

If youre paying someone else to do the work, you may not make it as far as a DD for $1000 + $7000.

I do all my own work and threw about $6000 at mine just in parts to make it a DD.

I can second this. My truck was a 7/10 when I purchased it. Engine was rebuilt and ran/runs great, body was repainted, carpet is all intact and none is stained. BUT!!!, ive spent around $2.5k on parts that aren’t even upgrades, just preventative maintenance, and I’ve personally done all the work myself.

I can second this. My truck was a 7/10 when I purchased it. Engine was rebuilt and ran/runs great, body was repainted, carpet is all intact and none is stained. BUT!!!, ive spent around $2.5k on parts that aren’t even upgrades, just preventative maintenance, and I’ve personally done all the work myself.
Yeah, I had this vision in my mind that these vehicles were/are owned by terrorists in the middle of nowhere, and those vehicles are still running, so I was thinking the reliability factor would allow me to purchase something this old and be fine with it. However, if you’re saying that I will be nickel and dimed to death if I don’t do my own wrenching, I might look elsewhere.

I was figuring I could get away with it, being that I only put 6000 miles a year on my vehicle. I commute so close to work that I could ride my bike to work if I had to.

Dont let these guys scare you out of it.
1K is a great deal. Yea so you buy it and it has major problems, turn around and flip it on ebay and make 1 grand or part it out.
The reality is the 90s Toyota are very good rigs, but they do need maintenance.
Because your in south FLA, the cooling system should be your first priority.
Then change all your fluids, EGR delete, full tune up.
Your looking at about 1K for all that.
yes they will be other issues here and there, but not everything has to be done right away!!
6k miles a year should be no issues

Well that did not go well. He wants $7000 for it, and it has 216,000 miles on it. He also told me it was a 1998. I don’t even know if that’s correct. He basically laughed at me when I offered 3000. When I questioned him about it not having run in a while since the tires are all flat, he made of some sort of weird excuse about putting parts into it or something. I don’t know, the whole thing sounded shady. I’m just glad I asked

here you go!!

Perferct for a V8swap

Dont let these guys scare you out of it.
1K is a great deal. Yea so you buy it and it has major problems, turn around and flip it on ebay and make 1 grand or part it out.
The reality is the 90s Toyota are very good rigs, but they do need maintenance.
Because your in south FLA, the cooling system should be your first priority.
Then change all your fluids, EGR delete, full tune up.
Your looking at about 1K for all that.
yes they will be other issues here and there, but not everything has to be done right away!!
6k miles a year should be no issues

Absolutely, don’t let me scare you out of it. A good deal on a 80s series is hard to come by. No doubt if basic maintenance is kept up to date these things will probably outlive us all. But that being said it is a 20+ year old vehicle, you will deff feel nickel and dimed at some point if you fix every little issue you come across.
I know I’ve properly replaced every part necessary that I come across, but hopefully it’ll last another 20 years. That’s the plan anyways.

Sorry Bassgod I hate to crush your hopes, but I feel obligated to give you a realistic expectation of it.
It’s all good. I just wanted a cool daily driver, that could hold all of my kids, that’s not:
-$30k+
-A sedan
-A Ford Explorer or Honda Pilot

Back to the drawing board

I appreciate the honesty

Sequoia??
There is a guy in my neighborhood who i think would sell me his, but I have a few reservations.
It’s in okay shape, they are second owners, he uses it mainly to tow his boat to water ski (non salt water), 2005, 97k miles, no accidents, all seems to work, etc.

I hear some of these specific Sequioas have frame rust issues.

I only need a daily driver that can cover my commute to work (3.8 miles each way), and hauling the kids around on the weekend.

It’s not like I need some long mileage heavy hauler.

That’s an idea, I guess

B457B8E0-4B1C-4D59-B27D-7C3BDD045469.jpeg

3D55CDCA-EF47-460D-B3D5-9AFC2BD210A2.jpeg

C4358155-5A8E-43A9-8F2D-35228A221C97.jpeg

936E8428-825B-4A36-9AB6-7D372A4B97FF.jpeg

E02B1B97-36ED-4358-9D87-0A2AA9FBC067.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom