Looking at this 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own an 88 62 and am not that familiar with 40's so looking for feedback on this one I'm considering. I've always liked the 40, but not many decent ones show up in my neck of the woods.

This is a 1975 and looks pretty much all there. The Odo shows 27,xxx (I'm sure at least 127k) and it has a newer 2f, I believe, because it has power steering mounting holes in the block. No power steering present. I can't find any rust through on body or frame, but plenty of surface rust underneath and a few small bubbles here and there. It looks like the original paint to me. The roof rail needs work and the head liner is gone.

The springs look newer to me because I can still see the faded part numbers on top. Original shackles. Drum brakes all around.

Looks to me like the rear main is leaking, not sure about the T-case and tranny. It has been used very little for the past 13 years although the current owner used it a a DD last summer. I drove it a few days ago and , other than a little wonder, it seemed fine through all gears and up to 60mph. The current owner bought it from a guy in St Paul 13 years ago who had just moved here from CA. It has a smog pump and EGR. Newer Aisin carb and the original one in the back. I'll post as many pics as I can. Looking for words of wisdom/caution. I know it'll be a project, but is it a god place to start? Is it worth $5k? $6k?

I'll post more pics in a new thread. Not sure how to attach more that 3.
PICT2590.jpg
PICT2585.jpg
PICT2568.jpg

More pics of the 75 40

Pics of the bottom of the rear doors and some underneath. Both rear corners look good.
PICT2588.jpg
PICT2569.jpg
PICT2567.jpg

Buy a silver star! It helps support the site and you can post all the pics you want.
I'll give you 5k for it right now!

Why do you assume it will be a project?

Tell you what, I looked at your other pictures, and if what you wrote is accurate, I'd pay $5000 or $6000 no problem...even though I would still try to haggle a better price :D. All I would do is, make sure the brakes are safe, make sure the steering is safe, change all fluids, clean it up, and just enjoy it as is for the next 10 years!!!!

I have extended family in WI...maybe I'll give them a call...

Looks like some scary wiring, but if it runs and drives OK I would pay that for it today.

That is a nice rig, it looks like it would be easy to fix up with very little effort, 5K? that is a great deal.

X2 on that......looks good to me also. Don't wait, someone else might buy it on you. If you can get it for 5k then go for it.

buy it!!!

$5k would be fair. $6k would be too much. Of course see if you can get it for less.:D

I'd take some steps to stop the "surface rust" from becomming more.

$5k Do it! even 6K. Only a drop of what you will be putting into it once you get the 40 fever!

Gassers aren't worth what they once were... They're getting hard to sell.

I'd have cash in hand... Throw away the rose colored glasses and go over it with a fine tooth comb. All the brakes will likely need to be rebuilt, the clutch master and slave are due, rust bubbles will quickly get worse if not addressed (likely part of reason for selling), and ...

The last thing you want is to get it home and realize it'll need $2g in work.

I think that for 6 grand in that condition its a good buy.And man i love the color.

Frame pics

Here are some of the frame. Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm meeting the owner tomorrow and we'll see what we can work out.

Jim
PICT2571.jpg
PICT2562.jpg
PICT2563.jpg

IMHO I think 5K or less is fair. That's after looking at 15 different trucks and pulling the trigger on my rig earlier this month. Looks like it's in great shape and the quarters look clean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom