Looking at LX tomorrow for purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, new here. I always wanted a land cruiser, I was a jeep driver for over a million miles. My wife and I were looking at trucks to replace my suburban. Wanted something nice for meeting clients and meets my truck needs. She shows me an LX which I did not know was an LC but it immediately looked familiar. Been shopping for a bit, most of what I find is LXs not LCs, dis they sell more or do the LC owners just keep them? Anyway I found an 02, original owner 125k miles. Going to look tomorrow, anything I should look out for? I am mechanical, do all my own service, lifts, etc but I don't know these trucks.
Also looking at an 07 GX. Thanks

Check for rust in the usual places. Fender wells, rear lift gate/tail gate. Check AHC function at all 3 heights. Timing belt service should have been done already - it is not optional. Plan for $1500 service if it hasn't been done and you need a shop to do the work. Check underneath for rust. My guess is a NY or other northeast vehicle will have quite a bit of rust. All depends on how much rust you're comfortable with.

Been shopping for a bit, most of what I find is LXs not LCs, dis they sell more or do the LC owners just keep them?

There's no benefit to the land cruiser over the LX

Except having to keep the Grey Poupon stocked up in the console of the LX...

Last edited:
Is this your first Toyota? If so, FYI, the LX was made to be the luxury version of the LC. Good luck with your search.

Hey all, new here. I always wanted a land cruiser, I was a jeep driver for over a million miles. My wife and I were looking at trucks to replace my suburban. Wanted something nice for meeting clients and meets my truck needs. She shows me an LX which I did not know was an LC but it immediately looked familiar. Been shopping for a bit, most of what I find is LXs not LCs, dis they sell more or do the LC owners just keep them? Anyway I found an 02, original owner 125k miles. Going to look tomorrow, anything I should look out for? I am mechanical, do all my own service, lifts, etc but I don't know these trucks.
Also looking at an 07 GX. Thanks

100's are the new 80...money pit for enthusiasts. Look at an early 200. You will be much happier.

100's are the new 80...money pit for enthusiasts. Look at an early 200. You will be much happier.

sure if u are buying rusted out version or one that wasn't cared for and just did the minimum to keep running... and loaded rig with aftermarket parts or let shade trees do the services including franchise jiffy lubes...

look for a dealer queen and it won't be a money pit. 2 years of ownership and all I've done is tires, and baseline of fluids. Bought at 180k and now have 208k 2 years later, hasn't let me down once.

paid $7k only, Of course bought california 1 owner where owner did all recommended maintenance and took every 5k to lexus dealer until traded in for a jeep at 180k since i found it as dealer trade in.

It took me a year to find though.

The LX has been fully dealer maintained including the timing belt at 95k.
This will be my first Toyota except my wife drives a prius, which has impressed me with its reliability, 150k miles in 5 years. I've owned one japanese vehicle, a pathfinder which was total crap and the most expensive cost of ownership car I've had. I've driven 4 jeeps to 250k or more and my suburban is almost to 300k doing most or all of the work myself. So I'm hoping my first Toyota experience is good.

Last edited:
sure if u are buying rusted out version or one that wasn't cared for and just did the minimum to keep running... and loaded rig with aftermarket parts or let shade trees do the services including franchise jiffy lubes...

look for a dealer queen and it won't be a money pit. 2 years of ownership and all I've done is tires, and baseline of fluids. Bought at 180k and now have 208k 2 years later, hasn't let me down once.

paid $7k only, Of course bought california 1 owner where owner did all recommended maintenance and took every 5k to lexus dealer until traded in for a jeep at 180k since i found it as dealer trade in.

It took me a year to find though.

This is pretty much my 100 story. Mine was twice the price but half the miles. It was 1 owner dealer maintained, traded in for a Highlander. What sold me was it had no nav, no spoiler and was riding on dubs so it should have been a pavement queen.

We have some resources on our LX page linked in signature that may help.

In my mind, the single biggest difference between the LX and the GX is the tailgate, I wouldn't give that up for anything and is one of the main reasons I bought the truck. If that's not a prerequisite then the GX will serve you well should you go that route. We have both in the household.

I'l looking at a 2000 LX with 160k miles later today. Private seller listed at $8500. what should I be looking for and how far should I talk them down?

We have some resources on our LX page linked in signature that may help.

In my mind, the single biggest difference between the LX and the GX is the tailgate, I wouldn't give that up for anything and is one of the main reasons I bought the truck. If that's not a prerequisite then the GX will serve you well should you go that route. We have both in the household.

I do like the tailgate on the LX and also the bit extra size, especially coming from a suburban. Wondering if the 07 GX is the better buy, newer with less mileage.

I do like the tailgate on the LX and also the bit extra size, especially coming from a suburban. Wondering if the 07 GX is the better buy, newer with less mileage.
It’s only a better buy if you actually want the vehicle. We have a 2005 LC and a 2017 GX. The GX is extremely nice and my wife and I both love it. I still like my 100 more. Especially the tailgate. The LC is just more user friendly.

It’s only a better buy if you actually want the vehicle. We have a 2005 LC and a 2017 GX. The GX is extremely nice and my wife and I both love it. I still like my 100 more. Especially the tailgate. The LC is just more user friendly.
I agree with this, I never drive the GX, it's always the LX for me. Seemingly fairly similar vehicles but world's apart in reality. The GX is a motorboat and the LX is a 120-ft yacht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom