Looking at getting into a '69 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, I'm a new to this site. Looks like lots of good info! I'm also very naive when it comes to rebuilding cruisers. Bear with me please.

I need some advice. I have found a '69 FJ40 that a guy wants to sell. It needs some work: paint, interior, new seats. It's virtually rust free. I believe it is basically all original w/ exception to the wheels/tires. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. Engine is operable, had bearings recently replaced. The guy selling isn't sure on the miles. Here are my questions:

-What's this thing worth?
-Are there any common problems with old cruisers that I need to be aware of?
-How much money will it cost to get it in good condition (I would do most of the work myself except for the painting)

I know these questions are tough to answer without more info. Thanks in advance for any help!

BC

WE NEED PIC'S, :rolleyes: CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YA WHAT IT IS WORTH WITHOUT SEEING IT :confused:

WITHOUT A PIC I WOULD SAY $500 ? AND TO RESTORE WOULD COST YOU UNLIMTED $$$$$$$

:D

GOOD LUCK ... :beer:

OH AND WELCOME TO MUD .. :flipoff2:

bcurl said:
First of all, I'm a new to this site. Looks like lots of good info! I'm also very naive when it comes to rebuilding cruisers. Bear with me please.

I need some advice. I have found a '69 FJ40 that a guy wants to sell. It needs some work: paint, interior, new seats. It's virtually rust free. I believe it is basically all original w/ exception to the wheels/tires. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. Engine is operable, had bearings recently replaced. The guy selling isn't sure on the miles. Here are my questions:

-What's this thing worth?
-Are there any common problems with old cruisers that I need to be aware of?
-How much money will it cost to get it in good condition (I would do most of the work myself except for the painting)

I know these questions are tough to answer without more info. Thanks in advance for any help!

BC

worth?
i bought mine bone stock in great condition 15+ years ago for $2300.
if it was today, and in the same condition. prolly ask $12000.

problems?
brakes, drums work well when adjusted properly. if not :frown:

money?
well how much do you want to spend?
it never ends, dont put a $$ amount on keeping it running the way you want it to.;)

I'll try to get some pics, probably won't have them til earlyl next week though.

BC

pics

Here are the pics. Rig has 120K miles. Sounds like pretty much all the mechanical stuff has been replaced or gone through.

Any idea what she's worth????

Thanks.
1s.JPG
2s.JPG
6s.JPG

I paid $4500 for my '75 FJ40 7 years ago. It had 58000 original miles. As far as true vehicle value, you pay way too much for one of these for the amount of work that needs to go into most. However, there is a value with these that drives up the price (sentimental value, unique vehicles, etc.)

My 2 cents on these is decide first how much you are willing to spend on one, THEN go and find the best rig you can for that amount. :cheers:

BTW, tell the owner to knock off a few hundred dollars, the bezel is on upside down.

burling said:
My 2 cents on these is decide first how much you are willing to spend on one, THEN go and find the best rig you can for that amount. :cheers:

BTW, tell the owner to knock off a few hundred dollars, the bezel is on upside down.

Is $4k too much?

What's the bezel?:confused:

/BC

bcurl said:
Is $4k too much?

What's the bezel?:confused:

/BC

sounds like a fair price to me.

dont worry bout the bezel, just say it's :romer style:

With what you have stated about the vehicle so far, 4K sounds like a good price to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom